How much heat can a tetsubin take?

.m.

Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:13 pm

A possible reason for the cracking sounds could be different thermal expansion rate between the cast iron and the welded iron (with the cast iron having lower expansion https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ther ... d_859.html), in which case it is the temperature of the stove that matters.
I also wonder if the reported peeling of the iron was in fact the urushi filler - while welding onto cast iron is certainly a challenging task, welding onto iron-urushi mix is on another level...
I do feel a bit responsible here since it looks like it was my bad advice that was at the beginning of this. On the positive note, the welding is only on exterior of the bottom while the interior is mostly intact. Once the bottom acquires some dark patina it will look fine, albeit more in style of western cast iron ware.
miig

Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:20 pm

.m. wrote:
A possible reason for the cracking sounds could be different thermal expansion rate between the cast iron and the welded iron
I think it is different expansion in one way or the other. But this had occurred even before this repair. But like I said, the iron is flaky in places, so I think the whole kettle is in movement. I'm not sure If I should continue to use it...
For BSG fans: It seems a bit like the Galactica's final jump (spoiler warning!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC86Necxt6s
.m. wrote:
I do feel a bit responsible here since it looks like it was my bad advice that was at the beginning of this.
You have no responsibility, whatsoever, neither did you give me bad advice :) I haven't used the kettle for more than a year for this exact reason. Also, it's about 60 years old and was used a lot, hence the brittle iron. It's all good :)

I want to get a new tetsubin and now I wonder how much it can take and how I should treat it so that it will last. I have come to the conclusion that a new kettle that's in good shape should take full power on my 1000w cast iron cookplate without problems. I will report back when I have my new Tetsu.

Still interested in hearing other people's opinions though :mrgreen: