The Science Behind Tetsubin

tealifehk
Vendor

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm interested in learning more about the effects tetsubin have on tea from a scientific perspective. I'm not interested in subjective experience based on brewing, but I'd like to know what using a tetsubin does, and why! I've tried to find some research on this and haven't found anything yet, so I'm curious. :)
CWarren

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:32 pm

tealifehk wrote:
Hi all,

I'm interested in learning more about the effects tetsubin have on tea from a scientific perspective. I'm not interested in subjective experience based on brewing, but I'd like to know what using a tetsubin does, and why! I've tried to find some research on this and haven't found anything yet, so I'm curious. :)
When I put mine full of water on a heat source, especially a charcoal stove, it heats the water and then if I pour that water over my tea it makes it taste good. That’s my science for you. :lol:
tealifehk
Vendor

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:56 pm

CWarren wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:32 pm
tealifehk wrote:
Hi all,

When I put mine full of water on a heat source, especially a charcoal stove, it heats the water and then if I pour that water over my tea it makes it taste good. That’s my science for you. :lol:
Pretty subjective there :lol: but I have had good results when boiling water in mine (on gas) and brewing with it. I'm more interested in hearing about what's actually happening and why. There is a possibility using a tetsubin might actually make worse tea!
Last edited by tealifehk on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tealifehk
Vendor

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:02 pm

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jfq/2017/1805047/

It appears adding iron (as ferrous sulphate) to tea causes it to bind with polyphenols, which then are excreted through the digestive tract.
tealifehk
Vendor

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:13 pm

Canadian water filtration company and their target ranges for water pH/hardness/solutes for tea infusion:

https://danamark.com/applications/tea/
tealifehk
Vendor

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:40 pm

So it appears iron does bind readily with polyphenols. What are polyphenols?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenolic_content_in_tea

"Polyphenols found in green tea include but are not limited to epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), epigallocatechin, epicatechin gallate, and epicatechin."

These (EGCG in particular) are believed to have positive health benefits, but do they impact flavor?
tealifehk
Vendor

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:09 am

https://ratetea.com/topic/tannins-in-tea/70/

Iron binds with tannins in tea, including catechins. This means water from tetsubin may reduce astringency and bitterness while slightly reducing body. Perhaps the longer charcoal boil in cwarren's case means a higher ppm of iron? Some of the good stuff in green tea would be lost, but the ppm of iron in the water from using a tetsubin is probably very low. IMO tetsubin therefore are likely to have a very subtle effect. I'd like to see numbers on this some time and also a double blind taste test. I came across something that said cooking in cast iron only contributed a tiny bit of ppm/L: I'd wager tetsubin also contribute a tiny bit of iron from use.
tealifehk
Vendor

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Hoping someone can test the ppm/L of iron contributed to tea-quality water from new and used tetsubin. :)
Elise

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:28 pm

tealifehk
Vendor

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks Elise, I was aware of Hojo's writing on tetsubin, but was looking for solid science vs conjecture. I found it interesting that he claims burning charcoal doesn't generate moisture and therefore doesn't cause rust: burning charcoal does indeed give off water vapor!
Elise

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:50 am

I would say “solid scientific” writings about tetsubin would only be found in Japanese, I’ll see if I can find something though.
.m.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 am

tealifehk wrote:
I found it interesting that he claims burning charcoal doesn't generate moisture and therefore doesn't cause rust: burning charcoal does indeed give off water vapor!
From my understanding, charcoal consists essentially of pure carbon, so there is no hydrogen that would produce the water molecule. Of course, there will be some impurities, and trapped moisture, but relatively low amount (?), low enough that the produced water vapour wouldn't condensate on the vessel. The statement is probably meant in contrast with alcohol or gas burning which produces quite a lot of water.
.m.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:54 am

There's some confusingly conflicting information on the kamayaki (activation of the iron):

The first article (undated) says that this is the essential procedure to make the tetsubin affect the water:
"Without this process, cast iron kettle is nothing but kettle. It does not really change the taste of water and tea."

While the second article (from 2013) claims the opposite:
"Based on the above experiment, I am affirm that the Kamayaki process affects the performance of a tetsubin. Ironically, the non-Kamayaki tetsubin produces strongest body and after taste... We found that the longer the Kamayaki is carried out, the lower the performance of tetsubin will be. I assume that it has something to do with the surface structure of tetsubin."

Are his experimental observations contradicting his marketing? :lol:

Anyways, this is an interesting source of information.
tealifehk
Vendor

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 pm

.m. wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 am
tealifehk wrote:
I found it interesting that he claims burning charcoal doesn't generate moisture and therefore doesn't cause rust: burning charcoal does indeed give off water vapor!
From my understanding, charcoal consists essentially of pure carbon, so there is no hydrogen that would produce the water molecule. Of course, there will be some impurities, and trapped moisture, but relatively low amount (?), low enough that the produced water vapour wouldn't condensate on the vessel. The statement is probably meant in contrast with alcohol or gas burning which produces quite a lot of water.
It seems charcoal contains 1-10% moisture from absorption from the atmosphere. That's quite a bit!
tealifehk
Vendor

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 pm

.m. wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:54 am
There's some confusingly conflicting information on the kamayaki (activation of the iron):

The first article (undated) says that this is the essential procedure to make the tetsubin affect the water:
"Without this process, cast iron kettle is nothing but kettle. It does not really change the taste of water and tea."

While the second article (from 2013) claims the opposite:
"Based on the above experiment, I am affirm that the Kamayaki process affects the performance of a tetsubin. Ironically, the non-Kamayaki tetsubin produces strongest body and after taste... We found that the longer the Kamayaki is carried out, the lower the performance of tetsubin will be. I assume that it has something to do with the surface structure of tetsubin."

Are his experimental observations contradicting his marketing? :lol:

Anyways, this is an interesting source of information.
I think he's saying a balance is needed with kamayaki; too much and you ruin the kettle. Too little and you don't reduce the Fe 3+ to Fe 2+. Unfortunately rust converts some of the Fe 2+ back to Fe 3+. In both cases, though, you are losing a little something when the iron ions hit compounds in the tea. How much is lost? I don't know, and would it even be detectable to the human palate? Also an unknown.