Room temp water vs. refrigerated water

Webley

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:05 pm

I use Zero Water filtered water in my tetsubins while boiling. Sometimes I use refrigerated water to boil. Am I risking cracking my CI kettle in using the cold water. Should I just use room temp water? Would there be any difference in the taste of the water?
pedant
Admin

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:30 pm

Webley wrote:
I use Zero Water filtered water in my tetsubins while boiling. Sometimes I use refrigerated water to boil. Am I risking cracking my CI kettle in using the cold water. Should I just use room temp water? Would there be any difference in the taste of the water?
cold water obviously takes longer to heat up.

i don't think you're increasing the risk of cracking your kettle.

if you like the taste of the water, use it. i wouldn't expect the taste to be worse unless your fridge is smelly.
Nis

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:54 am

For your kettle to crack, you would have to subject it to thermal shock. So pouring cold water into a (very) hot kettle, or boiling water into a (very) cold kettle.

The type and quality of the material is what determines how big a temperature differential it can handle, but cold water and room temp kettle is always going to be safe.
wave_code

Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:59 pm

I would actually wonder more about using the zero water itself than its initial temperature since it uses de-ionizing salts to soften the water. Do you not find the water too soft or that the salts possibly have an affect on your tea? I was looking in to that system for a moment but the softening salts instead of just plain charcoal filtering sounded like not a great thing for tea. I was also wondering if those salts could build up in a kettle or pot over time like any other kind of scale might.
Silat
New user

Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:03 pm

pedant wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:30 pm
Webley wrote:
cold water obviously takes longer to heat up.

i don't think you're increasing the risk of cracking your kettle.

if you like the taste of the water, use it. i wouldn't expect the taste to be worse unless your fridge is smelly.

Is It True that Hot Water Freezes Faster than Cold Water or that Cold Water Boils Faster than Hot Water?
It seems hard tobelieve, but some people swear that it is so

"Is It True that Hot Water Freezes Faster than Cold Water or that Cold Water Boils Faster than Hot Water? - Scientific American" https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... gin%20with.
pedant
Admin

Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:02 pm

according to the article (and common sense), it is hard to believe for good reason. it typically doesn't happen unless you engineer a contrived solution. especially the myth that cold water boils in less time than hot water.