Is tetsubin overrated? Looking for a small portable induction plate.

TeaTotaling

Wed May 27, 2020 10:40 am

@vuanguyen
bir-1c-300dpi-rgb5in.jpg
bir-1c-300dpi-rgb5in.jpg (50.84 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
.m.

Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 am

FYI: https://hojotea.com/en/posts-142/
Perhaps a non-sense, but the way the heat is applied to the vessel could potentially make a subtle difference in taste. But I haven't done any comparative tasting to tell.

One thing i've noticed both with tetsubin and a non-glazed ceramics kettle is that the complexity/porosity of the inner surface creates a lot of nucleation sites for the boiling, which then starts with a dense stream of small bubbles all around the vessel, as opposed to glass or stainless, where the bubbles tend to be bigger and more sparse (even more extreme is a glass of water in a microwave oven which tends to overheat).
TeaTotaling

Wed May 27, 2020 11:39 am

.m. wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 am
FYI: https://hojotea.com/en/posts-142/
Perhaps a non-sense, but the way the heat is applied to the vessel could potentially make a subtle difference in taste. But I haven't done any comparative tasting to tell.

One thing i've noticed both with tetsubin and a non-glazed ceramics kettle is that the complexity/porosity of the inner surface creates a lot of nucleation sites for the boiling, which then starts with a dense stream of small bubbles all around the vessel, as opposed to glass or stainless, where the bubbles tend to be bigger and more sparse (even more extreme is a glass of water in a microwave oven which tends to overheat).
From my experience, I believe the way a vessel is heated directly affects the quality of the water. No non-sense, in my opinion, rather a direct correlation. Subtle, sure, but subtleties can add up to have a more profound final outcome, either positive or negative.
miig

Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:52 pm

vuanguyen wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:45 am
I am thinking that an induction plate rather than a hot plate can can speed up the boiling time.
Hi vanguyen,
I wonder how your experience has been with this in the meantime. Have you tried out another means of heating your tetsubin? If not, and you want to get rid of yours, I might take it - I found it quite beautiful :D .

Anyhow, I know the problem, that's why I looked quite long for a tetsubin with a big surface area on the bottom so heat transfer will be better. I have found one at Artistic Nippon that has 13cm diameter, which gives almost 2x the surface area than a 10cm one. I'll report how long it takes when it arrives.
Youzi

Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:22 am

If you are in the 220V world, then I can recommend the Xiaomi induction Stove. It's 25cm in diameter and a circle basically, so no edges or unused surface area.
miig

Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:30 am

Thanks @Youzi. I am in Central Europe, so yes, 220V it is :mrgreen: . Thank you for your recommendation. If I understand induction correctly, unused space is not a problem because the magnetic field will only interact with the pot that is actually there. The thing is though, I already have a classic cast-iron cooking place, so right now, I'm not in the market for an induction one.

I consider it relevant to this topic though, since I assume that even with induction, a larger bottom on the tetsubin will allow for quicker heating, since one doesn't want to push Mr. Tetsu too hard. We're talking about this

in the other thread :)
Youzi

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:49 pm

miig wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:30 am
Thanks Youzi. I am in Central Europe, so yes, 220V it is :mrgreen: . Thank you for your recommendation. If I understand induction correctly, unused space is not a problem because the magnetic field will only interact with the pot that is actually there. The thing is though, I already have a classic cast-iron cooking place, so right now, I'm not in the market for an induction one.

I consider it relevant to this topic though, since I assume that even with induction, a larger bottom on the tetsubin will allow for quicker heating, since one doesn't want to push Mr. Tetsu too hard. We're talking about this

in the other thread :)
Yes, exactly, it works perfectly, and with minimal additional heat into your room. My comment was just a general reply to the topic question. Not a directed reply.