Tetsubin pouring issues

Tetsubin

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pm

Hi,

I have a tetsubin that have a couple really annoying problems when it comes to pouring. When the water is boiling and I am about to pour it on the tea the water will shoot out even though the tetsubin is just tilted a little bit (it seems to me to be because of the spout is to hot). The second scenario is thet the water will just dribble out even though the tilt should be more then sufficient and after a few seconds with dribble the water comes out all at once. Have anyone experienced these issues? And what did you do to get around these problems?

I bought this tetsubin from a trusted western facing vendor.
.m.

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:35 pm

I sometimes experience boiling water bursting out of the spout of my kettle. It happens when it is filled quite full (like 3/4 instead of just 1/2 that is recommended) and the water is left on the stove until it reaches full rolling boil. Needless to say, the problem is my negligence, not the kettle. But this may not be the same issue as yours.
faj

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:10 pm

Tetsubin wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pm
When the water is boiling and I am about to pour it on the tea the water will shoot out even though the tetsubin is just tilted a little bit (it seems to me to be because of the spout is to hot). The second scenario is thet the water will just dribble out even though the tilt should be more then sufficient and after a few seconds with dribble the water comes out all at once.
Having @Tetsubin issues? ;) (Sorry, could not resist)

I have no experience with tetsubins, so I cannot tell you if this is "normal" or not, or could be attributed to a deficiency in the design of the tetsubin or not.

However, I work in manufacturing, and this really sounds like the kind of problem you can have when moving a liquid through pipes when it is at its boiling temperature. Essentially, vapor bubbles appear in the liquid, and create either a very turbulent flow (little to no water coming out) or pressure that causes uncontrolled fluid movement (water shooting out).

If I were to provide advice, I would say :
  • Wait a bit for the water and iron temperature to equalize just under the boiling point.
  • Try to avoid exposing the spout to direct radiated heat (hot stove burner), as the spout can become much hotter than the boiling point while it is not in contact with water. If your spout is 150 degrees Celsius due to radiated heat, the water that comes in contact with it as you pour is sure to boil on contact.
Chadrinkincat

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:24 pm

Oddly I’ve had this same issue the last few days. Only thing I’ve been doing differently is over filing it along with pouring it while it’s still actively boiling.
Tetsubin

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks for the input and advice @faj, @.m. and @Chadrinkincat.

heating the tetsubin with the spout outside the radiated heat seem to work against the water shouting out when the tetsubin is tilted. Tilting the tetsubin the other direction first (letting steam out) seem to help with issue number two but not completely.