Electric Kettle Reviews: Planning

pedant
Admin

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:59 pm

i'm planning to do electric kettle reviews from the perspective of gongfu tea practice with a focus on engineering, build quality, and user experience!

kettles planned:
are there others you'd like to see reviewed? note that i'm mostly focusing on higher end kettles.

also, do you have any specific tests to run or other things you'd like me to look at? thanks
debunix

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Things I've paid attention to over time:

UL listing
Durability of controls/keypad (hard to assess in an initial review; looking now at my very first Pino Digital Kettle pro with a button that has partly worn through but still works great; and thinking of the Bonavita that has a 'HI-Temp' problem and the other electrical/control issues I had with those)
Presets vs continuously variable temps (presets to quickly move through temp range are nice as long as it can be continously variable from that point)
Max and min temps (very low temps are nice for gyokuro as well as some non-tea things)
Accuracy of hitting target temp (vs consistently overshoots quite a bit)
What happens when kettle is removed from base--turns off? continues prior program when returned to base? Needs to be at a precise position/angle to function? only responds to control entries when kettle is in place?

And speed to boil and ease of pouring
lUKAV28

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:08 am

Really interested in the topic, particularly as EKG recently became available in Europe. Finally!
debunix

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:42 pm

The Stagg looks particularly interesting (and particularly pricey). I have an impression, from experience with microwave controls, that the spinning dial for setting temp (or time) can be sturdier, in the long run, than buttons whose covers wear down, but I've never seen a kettle with that feature. But, like most of these electric kettles, there definitely seems to have a high proportion of failure out of the box or in the first weeks.
Brent D

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Ive been using a bonavita and a brewista for a few years. Id love to see a comparison opinion besides my own.
Tillerman
Vendor

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:49 pm

pedant wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:59 pm
i'm planning to do electric kettle reviews from the perspective of gongfu tea practice with a focus on engineering, build quality, and user experience!

kettles planned:
are there others you'd like to see reviewed? note that i'm mostly focusing on higher end kettles.

also, do you have any specific tests to run or other things you'd like me to look at? thanks
I would add the Brewista Stout Spout https://www.mybrewista.com/products/sto ... ure-kettle. This is the brand page; the kettle is about $10 cheaper on Amazon.

As to tests, pour heat vs. in pot temperature i.e. is excessive heat lost during pouring. Many claim that gooseneck kettles lose too much heat while pouring. True?
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:09 pm

Tillerman wrote:

As to tests, pour heat vs. in pot temperature i.e. is excessive heat lost during pouring. Many claim that gooseneck kettles lose too much heat while pouring. True?
Those that make that claim probably don't hold the gooseneck spout with their free hand when pouring to insulate it from the freezing winds blowing through our homes. :roll:

Seriously, don't you know that there is no point in making this measurement? Is this a test of the tester to see how much he will do for us? I don't know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but I do know that the spout is hot as is the kettle when it has heated water. Though the metal spout is not as hot as the water, it is far from cold. It cannot cool the water significantly. This simple man has not noticed that the length of the spout is a problem & assures you that there is no problem.

If a test told us that the water coming out of the spout is 1, 2, or 3 degrees lower than the water inside the kettle; then, I would conclude that the amount of difference is insignicant. Maybe that is useful information. :?:
pedant
Admin

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:26 pm

Tillerman wrote:
I would add the Brewista Stout Spout https://www.mybrewista.com/products/sto ... ure-kettle. This is the brand page; the kettle is about $10 cheaper on Amazon.
why the non-gooseneck? temp loss concern?
related question: would you rather see the gooseneck version reviewed if you were convinced that there is no temp loss, or do you just prefer stubby spout in general?
Tillerman wrote:
i am pretty skeptical of appreciable heat loss, but i will endeavor to verify my assumption for you. i'm curious now.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 pm

I think any heat loss is well outweighed by a supreme pouring precision of a goose neck kettle. I also do not think that minute temperature differences are of noticeable consequences for the tea.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:29 am

Is anyone else bothered by how fast water comes out of gooseneck? With smaller pots I prefer a slower pour. To achieve this I make sure to position the teapot near the edge of the table, and place the kettle bottom slightly lower than the table, thereby reducing the incline and speed of pour. My Bonavita kettle is big at 1.7L, wonder if a smaller Stagg doesn’t have this issue?

Some things I’d check for are any plastics inside kettle, if temperature reading is accurate, if it has hold temp. does it overshoot temp, how fast does it heat up, and how water tight the base is.
Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:06 pm

pedant wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:26 pm
Tillerman wrote:
why the non-gooseneck? temp loss concern?
related question: would you rather see the gooseneck version reviewed if you were convinced that there is no temp loss, or do you just prefer stubby spout in general?
Tillerman wrote:
i am pretty skeptical of appreciable heat loss, but i will endeavor to verify my assumption for you. i'm curious now.
Sorry I wasn't clear for all. Yes, I am one who suspects that there is heat loss using the gooseneck kettle. Whether it is appreciable or not I don't know; that is why I propose the test. The reason I suggest the "Stout Spout" is because I have one, use it regularly at home and at tea festivals, and am very pleased with it. I also have a gooseneck that pours much more slowly; I like the ability to pour quickly and have abandoned the gooseneck for the "Stout Spout."
by Bok » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:30 pm

I think any heat loss is well outweighed by a supreme pouring precision of a goose neck kettle. I also do not think that minute temperature differences are of noticeable consequences for the tea.
The unique shape of the "Stout Spout" gives all the precision one would have with a gooseneck with the advantage of speed if one wants it. It can pour quickly or slowly; can give a fast splash in the pot or a precise and slower pour around the edges. I simply find it far more versatile. As to the heat loss not being appreciable, you may well be correct; but that is an empirical question that can be tested. If the difference in heat is not significant, then it is just a matter of preference.
lUKAV28

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:41 am

@pedant I almost forgot. Oxo gooseneck kettle was a part of a lot of comparison tests alongside Bonavita and EKG. It was recognized as the best option on a lot of those tests too. Sadly only available in the USA.

Some of the + features are fastest heat time, 30 minutes temperature hold, built-in timer, and accuracy.

https://www.oxo.com/adjustable-temperat ... ettle.html
pedant
Admin

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:06 pm
The reason I suggest the "Stout Spout" is because I have one, use it regularly at home and at tea festivals, and am very pleased with it. I also have a gooseneck that pours much more slowly; I like the ability to pour quickly and have abandoned the gooseneck for the "Stout Spout."

The unique shape of the "Stout Spout" gives all the precision one would have with a gooseneck with the advantage of speed if one wants it. It can pour quickly or slowly; can give a fast splash in the pot or a precise and slower pour around the edges. I simply find it far more versatile.
cool, i'll try to get one and review it.

i'll try to get an OXO too, @lUKAV28.

thanks for the recs