Brass kettle useable?

Brassweasel
New user

Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:47 pm

My great grandmother passed away last year, and I got this kettle from her. I have no idea if I can actually use it to brew tea or not, and the only thing it says is “Made in Germany” on the bottom. Does anyone know if it’s usable?
Attachments
IMG_1665.jpeg
IMG_1665.jpeg (300.74 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
tolean

Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:49 pm

I am not an expert. But it should be good. Maybe for some high quality level top smth may be problems. In rest i don't think there should be any issues. But again. I am not an expert.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:10 am

Brassweasel wrote:
My great grandmother passed away last year, and I got this kettle from her. I have no idea if I can actually use it to brew tea or not, and the only thing it says is “Made in Germany” on the bottom. Does anyone know if it’s usable?
Clean it, cook water and try how you like the taste. Then try side by side making tea with a different kettle and see how you like that.
My hunch is it won't fare well compared to other materials.
baldheadracing

Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:09 pm

Hard to tell, but it looks more like a hammered copper kettle than a brass one, but brass is mostly copper anyhow.

Regardless, tea is mildly acidic and thus shouldn't be used in a copper kettle or a brass vessel unless there is a tin or stainless steel or silver lining, and the lining is in good condition. Bare copper kettles can be used for boiling (non-acidic) water, though, which is what copper kettles were used for in Japan (in place of a tetsubin).
Baisao

Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:01 pm

Brassweasel wrote:
I would look to get it tinned on the inside for safety. Idk your location but there should be tinsmiths in Europe. I know of one in Chicago. They re-tin copper pans. I am thinking of having this done to a Japanese copper kettle I have since the tin has worn away over time.

Fellow in Chicago: