Tetsubin

DailyTX

Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:30 am

Anyone who is familiar with the Kunzan Tetsubin lineage can help deciphering this chop? Thanks.
Attachments
Kunzan.jpg
Kunzan.jpg (235.21 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
Roku3724

Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:51 am

This is the lid of my tetsubin. The interior looks fine and only slight red spots as I expected, but my lid keeps getting redder and redder. It had the lacquer on it like the exterior has. And yes, the interior is not coated. I also make sure to leave it to dry and i always check to make sure it isnt still wet once im done. Is this rust, or is this just the regular red spots I'm told not to worry about?
Attachments
20230128_095749.jpg
20230128_095749.jpg (336.95 KiB) Viewed 4758 times
DailyTX

Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:21 pm

Roku3724 wrote:
This is the lid of my tetsubin. The interior looks fine and only slight red spots as I expected, but my lid keeps getting redder and redder. It had the lacquer on it like the exterior has. And yes, the interior is not coated. I also make sure to leave it to dry and i always check to make sure it isnt still wet once im done. Is this rust, or is this just the regular red spots I'm told not to worry about?
Looks like rust to me. I would clean it up, and use one of the methods for outer tetsubin maintenance to coat the raw iron. The simplest method is to use a cloth to lightly rub food grade oil (a few drops are good enough). Heat up the tetsubin with water, allow the iron lid to absorb the oil, and then let it cool down. It should be good to use next round. Make sure to dry the lid completely after each use. Good luck!
Last edited by DailyTX on Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku3724

Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:33 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:21 pm
Roku3724 wrote:
Looks like rust to me. I would clean it up, and use one of the methods for outer tetsubin maintenance to coat the raw iron. The simplest method is to use a cloth to lightly rub food grade oil (a few drops are good enough). Heat up the tetsubin with water, allow the iron lid to absorb the oil, and then let it cook down. It should be good to use next round. Make sure to dry the lid completely after each use. Good luck!
Thank you. Do you have a guide or instruction I can follow to treat it? Also, do you know of a good tetsubin care guide? I've been following a few, but the case with my lid has left me wanting a proper care list
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:44 pm

Roku3724 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:33 pm

Thank you. Do you have a guide or instruction I can follow to treat it? Also, do you know of a good tetsubin care guide? I've been following a few, but the case with my lid has left me wanting a proper care list
Welcome to TeaForum @Roku3724. Because your lid was previously enameled, the iron hasn’t been heat sealed in the same way the interior of your tetsubin has been. Using oil could vaporize back into your heated water, so I’d recommend just using tea to oxidize the rust. The rust isn’t harmful as long as chunks aren’t falling into your water. You might consider following these instructions;
viewtopic.php?p=11593#p11593
Roku3724

Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:53 pm

Victoria wrote:
Welcome to TeaForum @Roku3724. Because your lid was previously enameled, the iron hasn’t been heat sealed in the same way the interior of your tetsubin has been. Using oil could vaporize back into your heated water, so I’d recommend just using tea to oxidize the rust. The rust isn’t harmful as long as chunks aren’t falling into your water. You might consider following these instructions;
Thanks. Is there a way of doing this for just the lid? The interior of my kettle seems just fine, but I'd be willing to do so for proper maintenance. Also, is there a specific type of tea I should use and how do I remove them from the kettle once im done? And I'll make sure not to use an oil
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:08 pm

Roku3724 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:53 pm
Victoria wrote:
Welcome to TeaForum Roku3724. Because your lid was previously enameled, the iron hasn’t been heat sealed in the same way the interior of your tetsubin has been. Using oil could vaporize back into your heated water, so I’d recommend just using tea to oxidize the rust. The rust isn’t harmful as long as chunks aren’t falling into your water. You might consider following these instructions;
Thanks. Is there a way of doing this for just the lid? The interior of my kettle seems just fine, but I'd be willing to do so for proper maintenance. Also, is there a specific type of tea I should use and how do I remove them from the kettle once im done? And I'll make sure not to use an oil
Since it’s small, I’d just stick your whole lid in a tea bath. Any loose (junky or not) type of tea leaves should be fine, including ones already steeped once.
i_viter
Artisan

Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:27 am

Hello people!
After 2 years of missing here, returning with a picture of one of my "morning sanity recover" sessions - with my vintage tetsubin that gives really good water and luckily has good and even pour.
Love that old piece of iron (have another one - an older and heavier sculptural piece but it makes my water too heavy as well).

Cheers!
Attachments
_MG_3164.jpg
_MG_3164.jpg (107.83 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Victoria
Admin

Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:05 pm

i_viter wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:27 am
Hello people!
After 2 years of missing here, returning with a picture of one of my "morning sanity recover" sessions - with my vintage tetsubin that gives really good water and luckily has good and even pour.
Love that old piece of iron (have another one - an older and heavier sculptural piece but it makes my water too heavy as well).

Cheers!
Such a moving and evocative image. Thank you for sharing and welcome back 🍃.