Clay Kettles

Baisao

Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:19 am

Mobok wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:55 am
Are clay kettles an improvement to water taste? I have been using two electric kettles. One is the cheaper, classic kind, which boils the water. The other one is one of those fancy instant water heaters, with variable temperature and volume. My problem is that i keep feeling a faint metallic taste in my water, in the tea too. My parents tell me i'm imagining it, but i don't know, I can't stop feeling it. I am maintaining them, removing limescale periodically.
I was considering a Chaozhou clay kettle, from Chawang shop, since it's cheaper. Would it work well with a infrared ceramic plate?
Descaling the stainless steel kettles may contribute to an increased metallic flavor or unpleasant texture. So long as the kettle is working, there’s no need to descale them.

Clay kettles can pleasantly alter the flavor and texture of your water depending upon the clay and glazes used.

I’m am unfamiliar with the kettles sold by Chawang but suggest you look through the posts on this site to find kettle recommendations. I have had great experiences with Japanese kettles, though they can be challenging to source.

If you go the clay kettle route, I suggest using a two kettle setup: pre-heat your water in an electric kettle, then pour into a clay kettle at the tea table and keep at temp. Doing it this way helps avoid the long wait times for heating a clay kettle.
teatray

Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:43 am

Mobok wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:55 am
Are clay kettles an improvement to water taste? I have been using two electric kettles. One is the cheaper, classic kind, which boils the water. The other one is one of those fancy instant water heaters, with variable temperature and volume. My problem is that i keep feeling a faint metallic taste in my water, in the tea too. My parents tell me i'm imagining it, but i don't know, I can't stop feeling it. I am maintaining them, removing limescale periodically.
I was considering a Chaozhou clay kettle, from Chawang shop, since it's cheaper. Would it work well with a infrared ceramic plate?
You may find (or not) that it improves taste, but there will be some effect, so it seems like a bad control for identifying the problem (which is probably what you want to do first). Is it possible the metallic taste comes from the water (e.g. metallic piping on the way to you) and you just feel it best when it's heated? I've had that with Bulgarian tap water. I've also had weird tastes from kettles but not ones that are completely stainless steel without extra elements (like plastic water level window, glass [glued to the steel element], etc.). To make sure, how about blind-testing vs. water boiled in something else (porcelain mug in microwave or glass cookware, etc.).

A fun alternative method I sometimes use is boiling in a heat-resistant glass kettle on my electric hob--obviously there's some risk, esp. if you forget it, but the cheap one I got (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32594658738.html) is still in one piece.
Mobok

Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:41 am

Thank you for the answers.
If i don't descale the kettle, it stops working properly. The water leaks, it makes weird noises, and so on.
I forgot to mention, but i did try blind-tasting various bottled spring water brands, that is why singled out the kettles as the possible cause.
The western facing vendors that i've found only sold chaozhou clay kettle, clay kettles from Taiwan and tetsubin. Glass kettle sounds good, i could find one cheap around here.
I'll do more research, not in a hurry.
I feel like i might be obsessing a little bit too much about water quality, buy you know what they say "Water is the mother of tea". :D