Heating Elements

Victoria
Admin

Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:21 pm

@pedant freakingly nice temp control set up and super elegant tetsubin. Patience is a virtue! Good going. Wow 🍃
.m.

Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:29 am

@pedant Very nice Suzuki Morihisa tetsubin! I like that elongated knob on the lid - how hot does it get?
pedant
Admin

Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:29 pm

the handle stays cool. the lid knob gets hot. need a cloth, paper towel, or "fork tool" to take the lid off.
teatray

Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:02 am

Very cute tetsubin, congrats!

Have somewhat similar setup with a thermocontrolled induction plate, a Rommelsbacher CTS 2000/IN. Not the best: It doesn't reach its spec draw of 2000W with my 0.9l Takahiro kettle (it goes to 1900W for larger-radius pots, but with the kettle it drops to 1140W, which is a tad slow [though still faster than my electric hob]). Temp fluctuates +- 1-2C. Annoyingly, when using the kettle, there's a 12C offset between setting and real temp (set 68C to get 80C). My Hario kettle has a 6C offset, while cooking pots have no offset. No idea what's up with that. Seems the Breville is more accurate & easier to use but that price tag can cure even stubborn upgraditis.
pedant
Admin

Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:34 am

teatray wrote:

Have somewhat similar setup with a thermocontrolled induction plate, a Rommelsbacher CTS 2000/IN. Not the best: It doesn't reach its spec draw of 2000W with my 0.9l Takahiro kettle (it goes to 1900W for larger-radius pots, but with the kettle it drops to 1140W, which is a tad slow [though still faster than my electric hob]). Temp fluctuates +- 1-2C. Annoyingly, when using the kettle, there's a 12C offset between setting and real temp (set 68C to get 80C). My Hario kettle has a 6C offset, while cooking pots have no offset. No idea what's up with that.
interesting. it's a spring-loaded contact sensor that pushes up, right?

so if you take a nice stainless pot with a lid, put water in it, and let it simmer... i take it that the temp will max out at ~100°C on the contact sensor, right?
but with your tetsubin, the temp maxes out at ~88°C?

if so, it sounds like a thermal resistance issue. cast iron is not super conductive, but examine the bottom of your tetsubin. is the area in contact with the sensor very rough? or worse yet, is there a urushi plug in that spot? try moving it over 2+ cm off-center and see if it makes any difference.

as for the power output, yeah.. you can't achieve full output unless the coil fully couples to the cookware. can also be affected by less-compatible material or warped cookware.
teatray wrote:
Seems the Breville is more accurate & easier to use but that price tag can cure even stubborn upgraditis.
haha. yeah. i wouldn't have gotten it just for tea. i got it for cooking initially. fun toy but kind of hard to justify. i'm always happy to find new uses for it.
teatray

Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:29 am

pedant wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:34 am
teatray wrote:

Have somewhat similar setup with a thermocontrolled induction plate, a Rommelsbacher CTS 2000/IN. Not the best: It doesn't reach its spec draw of 2000W with my 0.9l Takahiro kettle (it goes to 1900W for larger-radius pots, but with the kettle it drops to 1140W, which is a tad slow [though still faster than my electric hob]). Temp fluctuates +- 1-2C. Annoyingly, when using the kettle, there's a 12C offset between setting and real temp (set 68C to get 80C). My Hario kettle has a 6C offset, while cooking pots have no offset. No idea what's up with that.
interesting. it's a spring-loaded contact sensor that pushes up, right?

so if you take a nice stainless pot with a lid, put water in it, and let it simmer... i take it that the temp will max out at ~100°C on the contact sensor, right?
but with your tetsubin, the temp maxes out at ~88°C?

if so, it sounds like a thermal resistance issue. cast iron is not super conductive, but examine the bottom of your tetsubin. is the area in contact with the sensor very rough? or worse yet, is there a urushi plug in that spot? try moving it over 2+ cm off-center and see if it makes any difference.

as for the power output, yeah.. you can't achieve full output unless the coil fully couples to the cookware. can also be affected by less-compatible material or warped cookware.
teatray wrote:
Seems the Breville is more accurate & easier to use but that price tag can cure even stubborn upgraditis.
haha. yeah. i wouldn't have gotten it just for tea. i got it for cooking initially. fun toy but kind of hard to justify. i'm always happy to find new uses for it.
Spring-loaded contact sensor, yes. Both kettles are stainless steel (marked as induction compatible) with thin bottoms but different radii (Takahiro maxes at 1140W, the wider base Hario at 1350W).
ind.jpg
ind.jpg (61.87 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
I've been able to run them at max power (1600W) on a different plate but maybe it was just less efficient? My cooking pots on the other hand have substantial bottoms (I think steel-copper sandwich). Maybe the difference has to with that. Still pretty curious. Had the Hario run for an hour set at 60C and real temp stayed at 66C at all times.