Room temp water vs. refrigerated water

Webley

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:05 pm

I use Zero Water filtered water in my tetsubins while boiling. Sometimes I use refrigerated water to boil. Am I risking cracking my CI kettle in using the cold water. Should I just use room temp water? Would there be any difference in the taste of the water?
pedant
Admin

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:30 pm

Webley wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:05 pm
I use Zero Water filtered water in my tetsubins while boiling. Sometimes I use refrigerated water to boil. Am I risking cracking my CI kettle in using the cold water. Should I just use room temp water? Would there be any difference in the taste of the water?
cold water obviously takes longer to heat up.

i don't think you're increasing the risk of cracking your kettle.

if you like the taste of the water, use it. i wouldn't expect the taste to be worse unless your fridge is smelly.
Nis

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:54 am

For your kettle to crack, you would have to subject it to thermal shock. So pouring cold water into a (very) hot kettle, or boiling water into a (very) cold kettle.

The type and quality of the material is what determines how big a temperature differential it can handle, but cold water and room temp kettle is always going to be safe.
wave_code

Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:59 pm

I would actually wonder more about using the zero water itself than its initial temperature since it uses de-ionizing salts to soften the water. Do you not find the water too soft or that the salts possibly have an affect on your tea? I was looking in to that system for a moment but the softening salts instead of just plain charcoal filtering sounded like not a great thing for tea. I was also wondering if those salts could build up in a kettle or pot over time like any other kind of scale might.