Tetsubin

Bok
Vendor

Fri May 14, 2021 2:45 am

I have three Tetsubin, which I am using exclusively (different sizes/pour, according to need). I never noticed that any of them changed the water to the point that it made the tea disappear... ? What teas did you notice that in particular? My Tetsubin are all old, so probably broken in decades ago, yours looks vintage/old as well. Mhhh... @OCTO to the rescue?
Tea Adventures

Fri May 14, 2021 5:52 am

Bok wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:45 am
I have three Tetsubin, which I am using exclusively (different sizes/pour, according to need). I never noticed that any of them changed the water to the point that it made the tea disappear... ? What teas did you notice that in particular? My Tetsubin are all old, so probably broken in decades ago, yours looks vintage/old as well. Mhhh... OCTO to the rescue?
If my sources are correct, it’s a tetsubin from the 1940s. The shop I got it from told me they ‘reset’ the tetsubin before shipping it to me. Don’t have a lot of experience with tetsubin, so I don’t really know if this is supposed to be good or bad.

I especially noticed this with semi-aged sheng that went through HK storage. The tea was very sweet, while this is definitely not the case when brewing it with a regular kettle.
Balthazar

Fri May 14, 2021 6:01 am

Hmm, sheng puer is probably the category of tea where I've been most satisfied with the effect of the tetsubin. I too mostly drink semi-aged stuff with at least part of its storage life spent in a hot and humid environment. A slight sweetening and rounding, without feeling that anything of value has been lost.
Tea Adventures

Fri May 14, 2021 11:00 am

Balthazar wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:01 am
Hmm, sheng puer is probably the category of tea where I've been most satisfied with the effect of the tetsubin. I too mostly drink semi-aged stuff with at least part of its storage life spent in a hot and humid environment. A slight sweetening and rounding, without feeling that anything of value has been lost.
Guess I’ll keep on using it and report back in a few months. Thanks for the help!
smx

Sun May 23, 2021 2:38 pm

Do you know any reliable sources of good used tetsubins? I found something on Etsy and eBay, but honestly do not know what of it is worth its price, or whether I should then not rather take a new "entry-level" kettle from Oigen etc. for the price, where I at least know what I get.
Thank you!
.m.

Sun May 23, 2021 7:28 pm

smx wrote:
Do you know any reliable sources of good used tetsubins? I found something on Etsy and eBay, but honestly do not know what of it is worth its price, or whether I should then not rather take a new "entry-level" kettle from Oigen etc. for the price, where I at least know what I get.
Thank you!
The quality of the craftsmanship will tell you a lot. At least it will help you to filter out the low end clunky kettles. Usually the spout is the most obvious place to look at.
Victoria
Admin

Mon May 24, 2021 1:15 pm

.m. wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:28 pm
smx wrote:
Thank you!
The quality of the craftsmanship will tell you a lot. At least it will help you to filter out the low end clunky kettles. Usually the spout is the most obvious place to look at.
One way to learn a little is to read about and study tetsubin sold by reputable vendors like Artistic Nippon, Hojo, Thes du Japón and a few others. I got a great tetsubin on Etsy that had slight rust, but was easy to resolve. Unfortunately, I can’t recommend a single vendor for used tetsubin though, what is available at any time it’s pretty hit or miss. Once you find one you think looks right, you can share here and get feedback as well.