Heating Elements

Rmt

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:41 am

I've been looking for a good heating element for a while. Picked up a small infrared plate (very ugly) a while back, so that I could use my chaozhou kettle indoors. The cooktop is a bad design though, and I don't really like using it. Really weird temperature control etc.

I also picked up this drip kettle that I really like a while back:

It allows for good pour control. It starts splashing/spurting if you pour too fast with water straight off the boil, but I seldom try to pour that fast. Been using it on gas outdoors, and lately in the kitchen at home. It's annoying to go back and fourth between the kitchen and my tea setup, when I need to reboil the water though.

I've been trying to find a small/kettle sized induction cook top for a more permanent setup at my tea table, but I can't seem to find any. Most of them seem to be bigger than I'd like and rather unsightly. The size tend to be around 30x35cm, and I'd like something smaller.

Anyone have any ideas where I can find one? Need something euro-compatible 230v
Balthazar

Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:07 am

Rmt wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:41 am
I've been trying to find a small/kettle sized induction cook top for a more permanent setup at my tea table, but I can't seem to find any. Most of them seem to be bigger than I'd like and rather unsightly. The size tend to be around 30x35cm, and I'd like something smaller.

Anyone have any ideas where I can find one? Need something euro-compatible 230v

Size as in diameter of the actual heating element part, or the whole cook top? Clas Ohlson has a cheap one with a (heat element) diameter of 19,5 cm.

I think it's gonna be hard to find anything significantly smaller in these parts of the world. Don't know about the size of the houses up north, for us "søringer" the distance between the kitchen and any other part of the apartment tends to be not that great :mrgreen:
Rmt

Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:26 am

@Balthazar yeah I've had a look at that in-store. It's too big. Thinking total size. What I'm looking for might not exist

True, it's not vast distances. Then again, it would be nice to have the kettle at the tea table, now that I've found a spot that's permantly set up as a brewing spot. I could always go and buy another electric kettle, but I feel there's a limit to how many kettles a person should own haha :lol:
Teachronicles

Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:31 am

@Rmt I just bought this, which is 22cm x 22cm. But idk if it's available in your country.
wave_code

Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:40 pm

I'm on the lookout for something similar- euro power, compact size for use with a steel kettle as well as possibly clay later. I have a simple cookplate like that already, and while it being a little big doesn't bother me too much, and maybe they aren't all the same but mine clicks off when it gets up to temp. the thing is after its been on for a few minutes and once the kettle is about to a boil that means its constantly clicking on and off, sometimes every 15 seconds. its incredibly annoying/distracting.
Psyck

Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:57 am

The whistle of the tea kettle signifies the invention of the steam engine and thus the industrial revolution, giving rise to the proletariat and hence the oppression of the middle class leading to the division of world power and therefore the race to global domination and thereby to global warming.
Baisao

Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:14 am

Psyck wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:57 am
The whistle of the tea kettle signifies the invention of the steam engine and thus the industrial revolution, giving rise to the proletariat and hence the oppression of the middle class leading to the division of world power and therefore the race to global domination and thereby to global warming.
We must seize the means of tea production.
pase22

Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:58 pm

Im normally not one to brag, but I just couldn't help myself from showing everyone my high tech equipment.
Y'all ready for this?
Attachments
Electric kettle.jpg
Electric kettle.jpg (118.93 KiB) Viewed 7733 times
Brita faucet filter.png
Brita faucet filter.png (524.81 KiB) Viewed 7733 times
pedant
Admin

Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:02 pm

cool gear!
Emilpalm

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:11 pm

Hello all!

Any recommendations for an infrared hotplate with 230 V?

I have been recommended a Cusimax hotplate, however the ones I can find are 120 V and would not work in Europe.

Thank you in advance :-)

Emil
Balthazar

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:36 pm

Emilpalm wrote:
I have a CASO Pro Slide 2100 that I have no complaints about. Although I have only used it a handful of times; bought it primarily for hot pot sessions at home :)

It's pretty big though (which is the main reason I went for it), so maybe not the best fit for a water kettle.
Emilpalm

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:08 pm

Balthazar wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:36 pm
Emilpalm wrote:
I have a CASO Pro Slide 2100 that I have no complaints about. Although I have only used it a handful of times; bought it primarily for hot pot sessions at home :)

It's pretty big though (which is the main reason I went for it), so maybe not the best fit for a water kettle.
Thanks for the recommendation!

But that is induction though, right? :)
Balthazar

Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:09 am

Whops, my bad. Didn't notice you were looking for infrared.
Emilpalm

Tue May 11, 2021 3:53 pm

Emilpalm wrote:
Hello all!

I have been recommended a Cusimax hotplate, however the ones I can find are 120 V and would not work in Europe.

Thank you in advance :-)

Emil
UPDATE: I ended up going with this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cusimax-CMIP-B ... B07KQZPQP9

Although I have only used it a few times, I can highly recommend it :)
pedant
Admin

Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:12 pm

i ordered a suzuki morihisa tetsubin through hojo tea about 5 years ago. the studio has a long waiting list, so i'm happy it's finally here. i think it's beautiful.

many thanks to hojo tea for helping me get it.

i am using it with a control freak -- a portable induction unit with fairly sophisticated temperature feedback and control. its maker, polyscience, specializes in precision temp control solutions for laboratory and culinary fields. i think their culinary division was acquired by breville.

Suzuki Morihisa Tetsubin & Control Freak
Suzuki Morihisa Tetsubin & Control Freak
suzuki_morihisa_control_freak1a.jpg (198.71 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
Control Freak Temp Sensor
Control Freak Temp Sensor
suzuki_morihisa_control_freak2.jpg (33.97 KiB) Viewed 3322 times

it has a spring-loaded contact sensor (with silicone gasket) in the center of the cooktop that pushes up against the bottom of the cookware for temperature feedback. it also has an immersible probe that can be used instead, but i'm not using it with the tetsubin.

with this nifty gizmo, you're looking at the world's first variable temp tetsubin! ok, probably not actually the world's first, but i think it's pretty cool. it's accurate to within a few degrees F in my testing. :ugeek: