Electric Kettles

faj

Sun May 31, 2020 12:24 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:05 pm
I hope that heating only about 1/4 of the capacity would be quite quick in the bigger kettle. Is that how it works?
The 1.7l is 1500W, while the 1.0l is 1000W. I have both, but I have never compared how quickly they heat water. It seems reasonable to suspect that heating the same amount of water is going to be a bit quicker in the bigger one. If I put myself in nitpicking mode, I will say the bigger model does not feel as balanced in the hand : the center of mass is going to be further away from your hand when pouring, even if they both contain the same amount of water.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:14 pm

Youzi & faj,

Thanks for your replies. I tried using a stovetop kettle for several days. I can get by without better, but I don't want to.

I just ordered a 1.7 L bonavita from Walmart. It will be more awkward to handle but probably not so much that I would not adjust to it.

Cheers
Noonie

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:14 pm
Youzi & faj,

Thanks for your replies. I tried using a stovetop kettle for several days. I can get by without better, but I don't want to.

I just ordered a 1.7 L bonavita from Walmart. It will be more awkward to handle but probably not so much that I would not adjust to it.

Cheers
Hi @Ethan Kurland

Would love to hear your comparison to the 1L after you've tested out the big brother. I've had the 1L Bonavita for about 7-8 years and it has been a loyal companion. However, the lid is quite rusty, and every now and then the temp display goes into some wild fluctuations and thus I feel like it's time for a new pal. Not sure how often I'll want more than 1L but it's nice to have that option. And when I last looked on Amazon (CA) it was on sale for pretty close to the 1L so a good deal.
lUKAV28

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:17 pm

Jeffrey McIntosh from Denong Tea made a gooseneck kettle comparison for tea brewing (bonavita vs oxo was Stagg ekg). Maybe someone find it helpful.

Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:12 pm

Cool water to boiling for 1.7 L bonavita:

500 ml -- 2 minutes; 750 ml--3 minutes; 1 L --4 minutes. This is faster than the 1 L version; moreover, I had not heated 1 liter of water in the smaller kettle for years as it seems to put a strain on it. In fact for the last year of the 7 1/2 years that I used it, some days it would not get water to 100 C.

Also going to 96C seems faster & keeping 500 - 750 ml at a temperature seems easier for the bigger kettle.

I don't find the bigger kettle awkward to use. If I have a full liter in it, I do feel the weight since I am used to handling a kettle with less than 1/2 liter in it.

I am happy with the purchase. I bought from Walmart online for less than $80 before tax. Cheers