Electric Kettles

Chefman
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Thu May 14, 2020 10:47 pm

But again - are you saying to open the bags and dump them into the infuser? Or what? And could I not just hang the bags in the kettle without it? I'm still at square one on my original questions. I kind of feel like the bags act as a filter for all that dust that puffs out of them and would otherwise end up in my tea. I really need some specificity here as I am completely new to this.
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3171
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Thu May 14, 2020 11:37 pm

Chefman wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:47 pm
But again - are you saying to open the bags and dump them into the infuser? Or what? And could I not just hang the bags in the kettle without it? I'm still at square one on my original questions. I kind of feel like the bags act as a filter for all that dust that puffs out of them and would otherwise end up in my tea. I really need some specificity here as I am completely new to this.
If you don’t want the dust in your tea, don’t drink teabags in the first place... even if you don’t want to get fancy and al, the idea of boiling teabags in a kettle sounds like a terrible experience in the first place. If you want ice tea just throw the bags in a carafe of water and leave it in the fridge overnight.
Chefman
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Fri May 15, 2020 12:25 am

Bok, while I appreciate your input, you have not addressed any of my central questions. Here they are:

1. Can I not simply hang the tea bags in the kettle without the infuser?
2. Do you advocate dumping the contents of the bags into the infuser, or what do you mean by at least opening them?
3. How many family sized bags is a recommended number to use in 1.8 liters of water?

Thank you.
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3171
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Fri May 15, 2020 12:53 am

Chefman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:25 am
Bok, while I appreciate your input, you have not addressed any of my central questions. Here they are:

1. Can I not simply hang the tea bags in the kettle without the infuser?
2. Do you advocate dumping the contents of the bags into the infuser, or what do you mean by at least opening them?
3. How many family sized bags is a recommended number to use in 1.8 liters of water?

Thank you.
1. Of course you can.
2. Yes
3. I don't know, I don't know the brand you drink. I myself don't drink teabags. Taste is personal, why trust a strangers advice if only you are the judge of how you like your tea best?
faj
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:45 am
Location: Quebec

Fri May 15, 2020 5:30 am

Chefman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:25 am
2. Do you advocate dumping the contents of the bags into the infuser, or what do you mean by at least opening them?
Most of the members on this forum are into loose-leaf tea. Tea leaf is usually infused directly in a teapot, with no basket or bag, and all of the tea (often prepared in amounts between 30ml and 200ml per infusion) is poured out once the tea is brewed. This is usually done at a relatively well controlled temperature (which varies quite a bit depending on the type of tea), and the duration matters a lot for the result.

This kind of tea brewing might not be of interest to you, but you are unlikely to receive many recommendations on this forum about the kind of brewing you are attempting, if only because it is very different from the experience of the members.
Chefman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:25 am
3. How many family sized bags is a recommended number to use in 1.8 liters of water?
Zero. :)

Bear in mind that people on the forum tend to play around quite a bit with the amount of tea they use, the temperature, the choice of teapot, water... So it is likely you will be recommended to play around until you find what you like best. It might not seem like an answer at first, but actually it is the right answer, because there is no one true way to make tea, as so much is up to preference.

This being said, for what may be called "western brewing" (not much tea compared to the volume of water, steeping times of, say, 2-5 minutes), maybe try something like 1 gram of tea per 100ml of water (10g per liter). Go for a shorter steep than you think you should, especially if you open the bag.
Chefman
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Fri May 15, 2020 9:44 am

Again, thank you for your input. I now realize I am in the wrong forum for asking input on this. All I am looking to do is make some iced tea with Lipton tea bags. It shouldn't be so hard to get a couple of direct answers to two questions on how to do that. As they say, "Can't get there from here".
User avatar
Tor
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:19 am
Location: Bangkok

Sat May 16, 2020 1:21 am

@Chefman

On Lipton box it says that 2 bags can make 2 quarts of iced tea. I assume you should use no more than half filled infuser (0.9L) of hot water per 2 bags. Steep for 3-5 mins then add same amount of ice. If you find it too weak just use more bags the next time. I think you shouldn’t cut open the bag as it’ll be a mess. I also think you can skip the built-in infuser.

I don’t know if this’s the right or wrong forum to ask, but I think you don’t deserve such attitude. Enjoy your tea!
User avatar
klepto
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 pm
Location: Floridaman, USA

Thu May 28, 2020 4:52 am

I'm already on the lookout for a backup electric kettle as dead pixels on my Bonavita Interurban 1L kettle are pretty bad. I will ride it until the wheels fall off, yet looking for a successor looks bleak. I'd love a larger kettle, having tea sessions and using the hot water to clean my teaware takes up a lot of water.
User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 2069
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Thu May 28, 2020 1:48 pm

klepto wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:52 am
I'm already on the lookout for a backup electric kettle as dead pixels on my Bonavita Interurban 1L kettle are pretty bad. I will ride it until the wheels fall off, yet looking for a successor looks bleak. I'd love a larger kettle, having tea sessions and using the hot water to clean my teaware takes up a lot of water.
I really like having two kettles, Bonavita 1.7L and Stagg 1L, each with different types of water. The Stagg is aesthetically superior, can set heat as low as 104F, and is very quiet. Others here have mentioned that they like Brewista Stout Spout 1.2L . I haven’t tried that one yet.
User avatar
klepto
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 pm
Location: Floridaman, USA

Thu May 28, 2020 1:51 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:48 pm
klepto wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:52 am
I'm already on the lookout for a backup electric kettle as dead pixels on my Bonavita Interurban 1L kettle are pretty bad. I will ride it until the wheels fall off, yet looking for a successor looks bleak. I'd love a larger kettle, having tea sessions and using the hot water to clean my teaware takes up a lot of water.
I really like having two kettles, Bonavita 1.7L and Stagg 1L, each with different types of water. The Stagg is aesthetically superior, can set heat as low as 104F, and is very quiet. Others here have mentioned that they like Brewista Stout Spout 1.2L . I haven’t tried that one yet.
I may run with that idea :D. My experience with the Bonavita Interurban kettle has been 98% positive. The only annoyance besides the dead pixels on screen are the clicking sounds as it tries to get the precise temps. Although I think my dead pixels might be because I put my electronic kettle next to the microwave. :oops:
User avatar
pantry
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:34 am
Location: California

Thu May 28, 2020 2:20 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:48 pm
klepto wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:52 am
I'm already on the lookout for a backup electric kettle as dead pixels on my Bonavita Interurban 1L kettle are pretty bad. I will ride it until the wheels fall off, yet looking for a successor looks bleak. I'd love a larger kettle, having tea sessions and using the hot water to clean my teaware takes up a lot of water.
I really like having two kettles, Bonavita 1.7L and Stagg 1L, each with different types of water. The Stagg is aesthetically superior, can set heat as low as 104F, and is very quiet. Others here have mentioned that they like Brewista Stout Spout 1.2L . I haven’t tried that one yet.
I'm also a big fan of Stagg. I prefer the gooseneck version for a precise pour. The only criticism I have is the heating wire is too close to plastic. You can smell burnt plastic after using (I tested on 3 different units--all with same issue but one in particular was worse.) That said, I would still recommend it, just be careful :lol:
User avatar
lUKAV28
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 2:00 pm
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Thu May 28, 2020 4:26 pm

I got Stagg EKG about a week ago. I really like how precise it is. But it does come with a price as pouring is quite slow. If I measured correctly it needs about 5-6 seconds to fill a 100ml pot. I figure it can become a problem with larger vessels. Otherwise 10/10.
User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 2069
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Thu May 28, 2020 5:27 pm

lUKAV28 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:26 pm
I got Stagg EKG about a week ago. I really like how precise it is. But it does come with a price as pouring is quite slow. If I measured correctly it needs about 5-6 seconds to fill a 100ml pot. I figure it can become a problem with larger vessels. Otherwise 10/10.
Yes this is true, pour is slower and as a result easier to control. The slower pour works well with longer steeping teas like Japanese greens, for gongfu cha it just needs to be factored into steeping time, still works fine though. The larger 1.7L Bonavita gooseneck pours too fast for me so I have to be extra careful not to spill.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:01 am
Location: Boston
Contact:

Sun May 31, 2020 12:05 pm

I have owned my 1 L Bonavita for 7 1/2 years. For the last couple of weeks it has not been reliable. I need to buy another electric kettle.

I am considering buying the 1.7 L version because I when I want an initial infusion of a session, I often am impatient for it. I hope that heating only about 1/4 of the capacity would be quite quick in the bigger kettle. Is that how it works?

Thanks.
User avatar
Youzi
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: Shaxi, Yunnan, China
Contact:

Sun May 31, 2020 12:10 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:05 pm
I have owned my 1 L Bonavita for 7 1/2 years. For the last couple of weeks it has not been reliable. I need to buy another electric kettle.

I am considering buying the 1.7 L version because I when I want an initial infusion of a session, I often am impatient for it. I hope that heating only about 1/4 of the capacity would be quite quick in the bigger kettle. Is that how it works?

Thanks.
how about this?
1.3L and 1500w
https://brewistaeurope.com/collections/ ... 4576725046
Post Reply