Clay Kettles

User avatar
Baisao
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:03 pm

@Teachronicles, the metal on my handle is gray anodized aluminum. Yours is iron?

I like the wabi-sabi aesthetic of your handle.
Teachronicles
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:13 am
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:20 pm

Baisao wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:03 pm
Teachronicles, the metal on my handle is gray anodized aluminum. Yours is iron?

I like the wabi-sabi aesthetic of your handle.
I'm not sure what it's made of, but there's already a small amount of rust on the handle. And I agree, I love the look of it.
User avatar
TeaTotaling
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:08 pm
Location: Ohio

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:56 am

Anyone have experience with this type of set-up? Zisha Kettle with adjustable temperature Infrared Plate?
Attachments
745E3C88-F92A-4E7B-AB4F-73EBD5D705A9.jpeg
745E3C88-F92A-4E7B-AB4F-73EBD5D705A9.jpeg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 361 times
BE142F80-24B0-4A31-A62D-404B261228E1.jpeg
BE142F80-24B0-4A31-A62D-404B261228E1.jpeg (42.02 KiB) Viewed 361 times
User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:08 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:56 am
Anyone have experience with this type of set-up? Zisha Kettle with adjustable temperature Infrared Plate?
That’s my set up as well, an infrared hot plate that I can use with clay or metal kettles. Posted about it here.
User avatar
TeaTotaling
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:08 pm
Location: Ohio

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:29 pm

@Victoria Awesome, thank you! I have not tested this set up yet, but I am eager too. I was searching for a kettle that provided water with a more penetrating heat. The affect Zisha has on water is a plus. I'm glad I researched infrared, and I am happy with this selection. Charcoal is not conducive to my current set up. I have also read of boiling water in stainless steal and transferring it to a Zisha Kettle. This seems unnecessary, providing the clay can withstand low temperature infrared, after being pre-warmed.

I was unfamiliar with the rice congee approach, but I am glad I read through this post. I'm not sure if this kettle will require it. Time will tell.

Many Thanks,

-George
User avatar
Admar
Vendor
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Wed May 06, 2020 10:47 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:56 am
Anyone have experience with this type of set-up? Zisha Kettle with adjustable temperature Infrared Plate?
Image
Image
I have the exact kettle in your post, and I think I was told not to use it on infrared directly. Could be wrong but make sure it can withstand the heat. It may break in the long run. I use a normal clay kettle on the infrared and then pour into the zisha kettle witch is on an alcohol burner.
User avatar
TeaTotaling
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:08 pm
Location: Ohio

Wed May 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Admar wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:47 am
TeaTotaling wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:56 am
Anyone have experience with this type of set-up? Zisha Kettle with adjustable temperature Infrared Plate?
Image
Image
I have the exact kettle in your post, and I think I was told not to use it on infrared directly. Could be wrong but make sure it can withstand the heat. It may break in the long run. I use a normal clay kettle on the infrared and then pour into the zisha kettle witch is on an alcohol burner.
Excellent! Thank you for your insight.

I was thinking of doing the same, heating the water in a different kettle, then pouring into the Zisha. I wonder if the water could be kept warm in the Zisha Kettle, on the infrared plate, utilizing a heat diffuser between the two?? I currently don't have an alcohol burner. How has your experience been with an alcohol burner?

I have not used this kettle yet. How do you like it, with respect to the pour, and influence on the water? A couple reliable sources have said the pour is horrible. Sam Gibb, said it takes some practice, and once mastered, works well. Sam also said it could be heated on infrared, but I'm guessing he doesn't use infrared ever. I definitely wouldn't go direct, having done more research, but I think utilizing a heat diffuser for keeping the kettle warm, could be a safe option.
User avatar
Admar
Vendor
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Wed May 06, 2020 1:55 pm

Ah if Sam said it can be used on infrared, it is probably ok (would still use a diffuser). I like the kettle, the pour is smooth and nice but indeed difficult not to splash all over the place. I love using an alcohol burner (makes better water than infrared alone) but it can be difficult to source depending on where you live.
.m.
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Brno / Montreal

Wed May 06, 2020 4:17 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:03 pm
I was thinking of doing the same, heating the water in a different kettle, then pouring into the Zisha. I wonder if the water could be kept warm in the Zisha Kettle, on the infrared plate, utilizing a heat diffuser between the two?? I currently don't have an alcohol burner. How has your experience been with an alcohol burner?
As far as i can tell, an infrared plate should heat the kettle more evenly, and as long as the power is relatively low enough it should be actually more gentle than an alcohol burner (which risks to concentrate most of the heat at the spot just above the tip of the flame).
User avatar
TeaTotaling
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:08 pm
Location: Ohio

Wed May 06, 2020 5:15 pm

.m. wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:17 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:03 pm
I was thinking of doing the same, heating the water in a different kettle, then pouring into the Zisha. I wonder if the water could be kept warm in the Zisha Kettle, on the infrared plate, utilizing a heat diffuser between the two?? I currently don't have an alcohol burner. How has your experience been with an alcohol burner?
As far as i can tell, an infrared plate should heat the kettle more evenly, and as long as the power is relatively low enough it should be actually more gentle than an alcohol burner (which risks to concentrate most of the heat at the spot just above the tip of the flame).
Great insight, thank you! Makes perfect sense.

The infrared burner I have (pictured) is 1500W, with adjustable temperature. My only concern would be directly boiling water in the Zisha Kettle. Although, it appears the teahouse Cha Zhi Ji, in Malaysia, might boil water in this exact kettle using charcoal. I'm guessing that would be a stronger heat, but more dispersed, and not as direct as infrared. I have no experience with charcoal either. So far I have found infrared, with a stainless steel kettle, to be quite effective. Infrared does much better than other electric sources, in my opinion.

What sort of heating elements / kettles do you use?
.m.
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Brno / Montreal

Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 pm

@TeaTotaling
I mainly use an Anta ceramic kettle that i got from Taiwan Sourcing about 5 years ago (in terms of material it looks it might be the same as those kettles that Global Tea Hut sells), and i'm happy with it and its effect on the water. I have a tetsubin and a zisha kettle (green label Factory 1), both are in storage right now (too much moving from place to place). I use whatever stove i have, right now it is a hotplate (the coil type that gets red hot on top setting), in the past i used gas and infrared too. I've had no issues with cracking so far, but i've never been tempted to explore the limits that the kettle can withstand. I usually go with a moderate heat, i'm in no rush, i'd say it usually takes around 5-10min for 500ml to bring to boil (i've never timed it).
User avatar
TeaTotaling
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:08 pm
Location: Ohio

Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 pm

.m. wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 pm
TeaTotaling
I mainly use an Anta ceramic kettle that i got from Taiwan Sourcing about 5 years ago (in terms of material it looks it might be the same as those kettles that Global Tea Hut sells), and i'm happy with it and its effect on the water. I have a tetsubin and a zisha kettle (green label Factory 1), both are in storage right now (too much moving from place to place). I use whatever stove i have, right now it is a hotplate (the coil type that gets red hot on top setting), in the past i used gas and infrared too. I've had no issues with cracking so far, but i've never been tempted to explore the limits that the kettle can withstand. I usually go with a moderate heat, i'm in no rush, i'd say it usually takes around 5-10min for 500ml to bring to boil (i've never timed it).
Right on! Agreed, there is no rush, patience is a virtue. So, have you used your F1 Zisha Kettle to boil water directly on the heating source (on moderate heat)?
.m.
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Brno / Montreal

Wed May 06, 2020 6:10 pm

@TeaTotaling
To be honest, i've found the handling of the zisha kettle and the pouring a bit too awkward to use for boiling water and preferred to stick with my Anta kettle and the tetsubin. I've used it for boiling tea on several occasions (on a gas stove with a primitive heat diffuser) with no issues, although i would usually boil the water separately and pour it into the preheated zisha kettle before putting it on the flame so as to decrease the heat difference between the flame and the kettle a bit.
Post Reply