Hohin vs. Shiboridashi for Gyokuro

Victoria
Admin

Wed May 29, 2019 7:17 pm

Baisao wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:36 pm
4) As noted in Victoria's experiment, there are more particulates in the horizontal sample than the vertical sample. Some of this is due to settling of the mixture but some of it is also do to the secondary filtration of the tea is the liquor is strained through leaves that have collected at the spout. If the tea has more particulates it will contribute to a fuller body.

Cheers
Actually, the resulting liquor from the taller glass has visible floating leaf particles that got through my scalloped wood spoon acting as lid - also used to mimic grooved slots found in some shiboridashi. The more horizontal glass didn’t release as many visible leaf fragments into liquor that was dispensed, they stayed at bottom of glass. There are probably finer leaf particles in the richer steep though. But even so, looking at tall glass vs horizontal glass with water steeping something else seems to be going on as well. Some leaves are still floating at the top of water while steeping after 1+ minute in tall glass. You mentioned above that the narrow raked grooves found in some shibo hold back the leaves, actually the lid holds leaves back in a shibo, with the grooves allowing liquor to pass through.

Baisao, I’m curious now since you like using a few vertical kyusu: If you have two kyusu that are the same clay -just one more vertical vs the other more horizontal in form -what resulting differences have you found in steeped liquor?
Baisao

Wed May 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:17 pm
Baisao, I’m curious now since you like using a few vertical kyusu: If you have two kyusu that are the same clay -just one more vertical vs the other more horizontal in form -what are the resulting differences in steeped liquor?
Thanks for the clarification.

I only have one flat teapot, a kyusu, but I am not fond of the clay or how leaves pile up at the spout so I am not in a position to compare.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:13 am

@Victoria the talk about Gyokuru got me thinking about my jobless Hokujo: what was your impression on the effect of his clay on the tea, compared to the others you tested? Shape aside. Mine is one of the last batch of small size, flat round shapes. Would be nice if it take on a new assignment :mrgreen:
Victoria
Admin

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:42 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:13 am
Victoria the talk about Gyokuru got me thinking about my jobless Hokujo: what was your impression on the effect of his clay on the tea, compared to the others you tested? Shape aside. Mine is one of the last batch of small size, flat round shapes. Would be nice if it take on a new assignment :mrgreen:
I reserved my smaller nanban Hokujo kyusu for Japanese greens. The pot holds aroma really well and body of liquor may be a little richer, but I haven’t done a side by side. I really liked using it for Japanese green teas. Sadly, it fell from it’s window sill perch while drying and snapped it’s side handle clean, so it’s in the repair waiting room at the moment :? .

@Bok I think yours is a perfect size for gyokuro.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:47 pm

@Victoria thanks! So my gut feeling wasn’t off - and condolences for your Hokujo! On a positive note, if you get a nice Kintsugi it will look a million bucks afterwards! Can imagine it really well with his clay colour.