Yamada family seal chops and signatures

Bok
Vendor

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:14 am

Quentin wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:02 am
While there aren’t too many examples floating around, it’s not too uncommon for his work to be engraved by Tozan - considering that he’s Jozan 1’s younger brother it makes sense he’d be available for inscription work.
Interesting!
Quentin wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:02 am
I also really love the lid design on your teapot! The smooth circle top reminds me of some modern Korean ceramics.
It is almost certainly inspired by one kind of Julunzhu Yixing that has this design. I have seen it on more early Tokoname pieces from unmarked pots that were still in the 100% imitation of Chinese pieces period before they emancipated to a more distinctly Japanese style.
Quentin

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:30 am

Bok wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:14 am
It is almost certainly inspired by one kind of Julunzhu Yixing that has this design. I have seen it on more early Tokoname pieces from unmarked pots that were still in the 100% imitation of Chinese pieces period before they emancipated to a more distinctly Japanese style.
That makes a lot of sense! I’ve also often heard that Hamajiro and his father-in-law Yoshiwara Kasyu were especially proud of their Chinese style ceramics, so I’m sure that influence can be found in many of their more Japanese style pieces too.