12 Days of Kyusu

Jo
Mrs. Chip

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:31 pm
Can also say that mine has perfect workmanship. Previous issues seem to have been rectified.
Well Bok, your post probably sealed the deal for that new Junzo :D
debunix

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:55 pm

Very interesting posts. I was about to write something about your standards if you thought that interior looked 'grungy' and then I got to the last photos where it was clear what you meant. That's some interesting staining.
Chip
Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:03 pm

That is great news, pedant and Bok! I honestly expected correction in workmanship and design! It seems that all the issues have been resolved. It will be interesting to compare kyusu created years apart that have gone through ... transformation.

I am anxious to obtain the newest generation.
Chip
Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Pedant, thanks for the idea.

I think with the kyusu I used today, I will soak the spout only in warm to hot water immediately prior to each use. The porous clay will soak up the water, hopefully to saturation.

This sounds like a good approach to preventing at least staining and possibly even reducing dribbling to the entire spout.

Similar to Toru's recommendation for Hagi to prevent excessive staining.

I suppose I could soak the entire kyusu before each use ... but that might affect flavor.
pedant
Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:48 pm

i predict that wetting the spout will make dribbling worse
Janice

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Chip wrote:
That is great news, pedant and Bok! I honestly expected correction in workmanship and design! It seems that all the issues have been resolved. It will be interesting to compare kyusu created years apart that have gone through ... transformation.

My TAD is flaring up again! Only $118 usd for a one-person sized Kyushu......
Chip
Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:06 pm

pedant wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:48 pm
i predict that wetting the spout will make dribbling worse
Hard to say ... but if the spout is saturated, it will be less likely to absorb and stain ... maybe.

The pot will w/o trying dribble and stain terribly, so nothing to lose, really.
Chip
Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:08 pm

Janice wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:51 pm
Chip wrote:

My TAD is flaring up again! Only $118 usd for a one-person sized Kyushu......
His site is really bad news! And he is a hypnotist. Before you know it, you have purchased multiple kyusu!
pedant
Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:10 pm

just imagine how many you'd own if he had a functional web store and you could impulse buy :lol:
swordofmytriumph

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Chip wrote:
His site is really bad news! And he is a hypnotist. Before you know it, you have purchased multiple kyusu!
Don’t I know it! I have two coming now. Should be here sometime this week. :oops: :lol:
Chip
Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:11 am

debunix wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:55 pm
Very interesting posts. I was about to write something about your standards if you thought that interior looked 'grungy' and then I got to the last photos where it was clear what you meant. That's some interesting staining.
This is certainly the wildest staining of any kyusu I have purchased. To me it is not attractive ... but it does brew great sencha!

One of these days, I should compare both the kyusu I used today and the heavily stained one ... to see if the stained one brews as great as the "new" one.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:54 am

To me that clay is the discovery of the year, I have not found anything as good for high mountain as this. Hokujo is a close second, but the difference is still pretty obvious.

Spout design is fantastic, the one I have can not be forced to dribble! Ingeniously, it has a sort of in-built break, if you pour too forcefully, it still pours out slowly anyway, avoiding splashing the cups.

Personally, I prefer the back handle designs.
Chip
Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:54 am
To me that clay is the discovery of the year, I have not found anything as good for high mountain as this. Hokujo is a close second, but the difference is still pretty obvious.

Spout design is fantastic, the one I have can not be forced to dribble! Ingeniously, it has a sort of in-built break, if you pour too forcefully, it still pours out slowly anyway, avoiding splashing the cups.

Personally, I prefer the back handle designs.
... I almost gave it a rating of 11 for flavor! Best so far. I definitely need to compare to the heavily used/patina-ed/stained kyusu to see how they match up. I wonder ...

I am very pleased that the first generation issues have been resolved!!!

Different strokes for different folks. :mrgreen: Wayyyy back when I saw my first side handle kyusu, it was love at first sight. But very sadly, they were "unobtainium" to the the West. And when I finally found early availability, they were truly crap.

Once the flow opened up (pun intended), there was no going back. The side handle remains the virtually only option for me to this day.
Chip
Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:46 am

pedant wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:10 pm
just imagine how many you'd own if he had a functional web store and you could impulse buy :lol:
True that! Similarly with Artistic Nippon.
Chip
Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:48 am

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:13 pm
Chip wrote:
Don’t I know it! I have two coming now. Should be here sometime this week. :oops: :lol:
Great!
What size(s) did you purchase?