Odor from a Hagi cup

ShuShu

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:10 pm

I have just received a few simple Hagi cups. When drinking I noticed that they have a subtle yet strange odor.
At first it striked me as weired that glazed teaware can have an odor. I don’t think that they are vintage but certainly about 20 or 30 years old.
When I use them then the inside of the cup smells of the tea but the outside still has it...
Right now they are soaked in baking soda water.
Is there anything else I should do? Did anyone had a similar experience Hagi ware?
.m.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:36 pm

I'd clean them well and leave them on a sun for a few days. If that doesn't help, than i'd bake them in the oven: that should carbonize whats causing the smell (disclaimer: if there's actually something soaked inside the clay under the glaze, it might darken up the cracks as it seeps out and burns).
debunix

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:15 pm

I'd bake them gently too. Put them in cold oven, turn over on to 400 degrees, let it hit temp and hold there for an hour or so, then turn the oven off, and not open the oven for another hour or so. I've lost enough Hagiware to cracks that I'd be extra careful with even this.
OCTO

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:46 pm

ShuShu wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:10 pm
I have just received a few simple Hagi cups. When drinking I noticed that they have a subtle yet strange odor.
At first it striked me as weired that glazed teaware can have an odor. I don’t think that they are vintage but certainly about 20 or 30 years old.
When I use them then the inside of the cup smells of the tea but the outside still has it...
Right now they are soaked in baking soda water.
Is there anything else I should do? Did anyone had a similar experience Hagi ware?
No experience with Hagi ware... but as a rule of thumb, if you feel uncomfortable with the odor, try asking for a swap / replacement from the seller. I find this much easier to negotiate than a refund... 😋😋

Cheers!
Bok
Vendor

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:51 pm

It might be the glaze. I had tried to use an old milk jug as a pitcher for tea (European peasant ware) and it had a very unpleasant odour when in contact with hot liquid.
ShuShu

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks everyone!
I’m going to let it air in the sun for 24h after soaked in baking soda. If that will not work I will try to bake it....
Fuut
Vendor

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:47 am

If its a 'nasty' smell, then it could be that they have been stored away when there was still moisture in the piece. In this case exactly the same happens as with any other object, bacteria growth..