Red Clay from the Gold Mines of Sado Island.

wave_code

Thu May 27, 2021 11:43 am

Started getting to actually test some teas out and I am very pleased so far. I tried two lighter liu bao out yesterday- one a pretty cheap but decent Three Cranes and the other a more woody CNNP. Both came out really well- the Three Cranes was a lot more interesting, sweeter, fuller, more aromatic. Its from a cheaper brick so I usually have it as a morning tea or when I just need something unfussy, but the nosaka clay highlighted things that maybe were muted or needed accenting that are there and made me appreciate it a bit more, or at least certainly make it more interesting and enjoyable. While clay won't fix a bad flawed tea, in this case it can certainly make a less than special one better. The CNNP also came out a lot better than it does in my nixing or zini- sometimes I have to overleaf or overbrew it to get more of the nice woody incense character out of it, but it was really amplified here and also seemed to brew up in a richer shade of dark red and gave an extra one or two infusions that were still enjoyable drinkable rather than squeezing out a spent tea. Also on both in addition to more aroma there was lowered astringency/more sweetness and much longer aftertaste. So it seems like what I intended it for it should be a great fit.

I tried a younger and heavier fermented one out this morning and its clearly not the specialty here. Its a bit more on the herbal side but its a very dark and thick tea. Its good for its age but it doesn't have much more going for it other than brewing up strong and viscous. But, the nosaka did seem to reduce the body of the tea compared to in nixing. Since its a really simple tea without much else going on the pot really didn't do it any favors and made it even a little less enjoyable. I'll be curious to give the nosaka a go with an older and more refined similar tea to see how it does, but maybe its just not the right kind of tea for this clay and thats fine. Also kind of curious to see what it would do to something with more humid storage. More experimentation to come with maybe even with a bit of light shu and liu an. While I never drank black or white teas in clay previously I could see this working there too and why its great for oolong.
Dogen

Thu May 19, 2022 7:13 pm

OCTO wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:27 pm
Update on Tea Pairing with Mumyoi by Tozo from Sado Island..

I’ve since tried the pot with a host of teas young and aged. The best pairing is still pointed towards fresh greens like LongJing and raw Puerh, both raw and aged. Also had an interesting round with a 20+ yearold ripe puerh. The clay elevates the aroma, fragrance and aftertaste of tea in general.

More to come....

Cheers!
Is the aged raw puerh regardless of storage? I am planning to use it for puerh in HK and Kunming storage.
OCTO

Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:45 am

Revisited the Mumyoi brothers.....

IMG_7724.jpg
IMG_7724.jpg (169.18 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
Baisao

Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:41 am

OCTO wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:45 am
Revisited the Mumyoi brothers.....

Those are handsome. Mumyoi is an underrated clay in my opinion.
LeoFox

Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:28 am

Beautiful sado island

That wedge in the peak was caused by the old mining activities.

Gold, silver and mumyoi 8-)