Hokujo Teaware

AozoraE

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:42 pm

lUKAV28 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:02 am
I found this now already sold offering of Hokujo. Never seen this kind of shape/glaze(?) from him. Somehow it reminds me of Inge Nielsen work.

http://www.tokoname.or.jp/teapot/maker_ ... kujo79.htm
Happy new year :)

Very nice pot. Don't see wood fired pots like that too often with that kind sheen.
I remember seeing somewhere that he made a bunch of woodfired pots a few decades ago so that one you linked could have been one made then.
One of his woodfired pots sold on a particular auction site earlier this year. If I recall correctly it went for around $900.
Whoever bought that one for 55000 yen really got quite the deal I think :lol:
klepto

Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:06 am

I too have jumped on this train. I bought one as I have only been drinking taiwan oolong lately. From what I've heard from others, the pot has a fast pour, well designed and improves aftertaste without taking anything away from you.
TeaTotaling

Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:03 am

klepto wrote:
I too have jumped on this train. I bought one as I have only been drinking taiwan oolong lately. From what I've heard from others, the pot has a fast pour, well designed and improves aftertaste without taking anything away from you.
Switching gears ⚙️ from Yixing and Young Sheng. How are you liking this set up, comparatively speaking?
klepto

Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:59 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
klepto wrote:
Switching gears ⚙️ from Yixing and Young Sheng. How are you liking this set up, comparatively speaking?
Tokoname pots are very well made, the function is excellent. The session I had with it the normal flavors were enhanced, the aftertaste was more noticeable. after a very long steep any bitterness was missing and the smoothness of the tea itself was a very noticeable difference. Taiwan oolongs was my first tea love so its only right that I return after a while :D. I can't give a comparison yet but I lurve the new pot. A few people told me about the benefits of Japanese clays sometime ago but better late than never.
PHOTO_20210208_145638.jpg
PHOTO_20210208_145638.jpg (161.37 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
TeaTotaling

Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:47 pm

klepto wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:59 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
klepto wrote:
Tokoname pots are very well made, the function is excellent. The session I had with it the normal flavors were enhanced, the aftertaste was more noticeable. after a very long steep any bitterness was missing and the smoothness of the tea itself was a very noticeable difference. Taiwan oolongs was my first tea love so its only right that I return after a while :D. I can't give a comparison yet but I lurve the new pot. A few people told me about the benefits of Japanese clays sometime ago but better late than never.
Very good, nice Tokoname!! Reminds me of a sandy desert at sunset. How many ml's? I would be curious to hear your comparative analysis to the Yixing Si Ting in the background. Zhuni, possibly??

On a side note, how has your antique Zini been treating you?
klepto

Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:48 pm

The tokoname is 140ml, my lovely pear pot is 90ml which I use for yancha. Honestly i am shocked how well made the tokoname teapot is and how it turns up the flavor like you packed it with leaf. It brings out much more aftertaste that I thought was imaginable. You can turn it upside down and the lid stays on. Its swiftly becoming my favorite teapot. As for the lovely pear pot, it is very neutral except for a bit of sweetening, making the tea rounder and softer. As for the antique zini I've been trying it with a lot of things but nothing concrete so far.
Pan

Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:39 am

I have one of his Shibordashi's which makes BEAUTIFUL Gyokuro. Sencha is ok but Shibordashi is made for Gyokuro usually so thus its better.
Pan

Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:53 pm

AozoraE wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:41 am
pedant wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:29 am
ask Asako ISOBE if she has any nanban ones. treat yourself ;)
If only I could go back in time... :D
She has eight right now, I just secured my first Hokujo Kyusu :). Go now before they are out!
Pan

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:54 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:51 pm
pedant wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:21 am
dunno, is any japanese teaware artist being hyped right now?

perhaps it's more like "shame kz's hyping has dried up". who will be our new hype man? :lol:
Hilarious. Had me rolling in laughter. Always nice to have a pollinator sprinkling tea magic around the community. KyaraZen’s love of Hokujo ware was infectious, and rightly so. His pieces are masterfully made, beautiful proportioned and a pleasure to use. Most days I’m using one of his kyusu for either roasted oolong or sencha. They get so much use, they are like my army of work horses.

We forgot to mention another teaware pollinator Chip :). He has inspired many collections, over many years, in this community. He also has quite a large Hokujo collection himself.

WOW @Chip if you are ever going to sell the smallest of your Hokoju kyusu collection please let me know. I have this funny feeling Hokujo will be named a living national treasure soon.
Dogen

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:06 am

Pan wrote:
I have one of his Shibordashi's which makes BEAUTIFUL Gyokuro. Sencha is ok but Shibordashi is made for Gyokuro usually so thus its better.
I have heard that gyokuro goes well in a flat shape shibo, or kyusu. That's why I bought one in Sazentea.com, my go to for Japanese teas.
kyusu 1.jpg
kyusu 1.jpg (148.63 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
The attachment kyusu 1.jpg is no longer available
Pan

Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:00 am

Dogen wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:06 am
Pan wrote:
I have heard that gyokuro goes well in a flat shape shibo, or kyusu. That's why I bought one in Sazentea.com, my go to for Japanese teas.

Imagekyusu 1.jpg
beautiful! How is the result?