Where to buy porcelain or clay kyusu with inside glaze around 120 ml and around 180-200 ml (Ippodo alternatives) - must

Cifer

Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:56 am

Hello everyone,

I am looking for

a) small flat Japanese teapots which are glazed inside (porcelain and clay both ok) and hold around 120 ml, and

b) Japanese teapots of any shape which are made of clay and glazed inside (no porcelain) and hold 180 ml or a bit more.

So far the only place with I've seen offer porcelain hira kyusu are Ippodo (120 ml) and Sazen (170 ml, a bit too big). Ippodo also offer a 240 ml glazed banko kyusu which isn't my ideal size but the best I could find.

Does anyone know of another seller shipping to Germany who offers similar products?

Thanks a lot!
Bourder

Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:50 am

For a) you could take a look at Inge Nielsen's pottery. People say she's good. She's not Japanese though.

https://ingenielsenpottery.com/shop/
Cifer

Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:52 am

Bourder wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:50 am
For a) you could take a look at Inge Nielsen's pottery. People say she's good. She's not Japanese though.

https://ingenielsenpottery.com/shop/
Thank you.

It doesn't have to be from Japan, but to my knowledge Inge Nielsen doesn't make anything close to what I'm looking for. She doesn't make flat kyusu (no a)), and her other pots are way too small to qualify for b) either.
teatray

Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:00 pm

If you want a flat(tish) kyusu, similar to Ippodo's flat porcelain kyusu (but cheaper), have a look at Sazen's Hasamiyaki Hiragata Kyusu. Make sure to switch to JPY to get a much better price. If ordering from EU, I have good experience with their DDP (delivery duty paid) courier option. Prices seem to be as in Japan (maybe more accurately: Japan+10%, since Japanese prices include a sales tax that would normally be deducted on int'l orders, if you deal with local shops directly.)
teatray

Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:59 pm

Fingers faster than brain, sorry for the rec above, you already know it. Not sure how much exp you have with flat kyusu, so if it's any help: this particular shape is flexible for volume since it's widest at the top and a few mm in height make a big diff. I just measured mine (Sazen Hasamiyaki) and put a comfortable amount inside, not too little, and it turned out to be 100ml. Then I filled it to what would be unpleasant to use but possible, if you're careful: that's 155ml (no leaf inside).

For (b) Japanese glazed, non-flat, 180ish ml, I think it would be hard to find a non-porcelain/non-celadon option. Jinpachi Ogawa makes some in that volume range, but I wasn't impressed by mine: bad pour and (more importantly), I found the inside glaze bad (either it had a bad taste itself or it let bad clay taste seep into the drink; the glaze coverage wasn't very thorough). Others are fans (search in this forum).