Admin

Sun May 19, 2019 5:08 pm

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:08 am
Baisao wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:55 am
swordofmytriumph wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:58 am
The survival of the hagis, lol. You know you're into teaware when you're perfectly fine with your cup leaking a bit and cracking and consider that not only normal, but part of the charm. I have not mentioned it to my family. They would not understand. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I used a biwa chawan from Seigan today and was surprised that it sweated so much just from usucha. I think soaking items like this would cause them to disintegrate sooner than if they were not soaked at all.

I began tapping the chawan with my fingernails to test for cracks and indeed the sound is dull, indicating a hidden crack beneath the glaze. Is this common with biwa glazed hagiyaki?
Yeah I always wondered about the soaking thing. My understanding is that it helps with making the color of the crazing more uniform? I’m not sure soaking was meant to help with structural integrity. But I’m not experienced. I have a sum total of one hagi. I plan to get more though. You can’t just have one. :lol:

As far as hidden cracks, I’m not sure (again not an authority) but it stands to reason that not all the crackles would be visible.
I believe a lot of Shibuya Deishi Biwa have a dead sound to them. Especially post cornstarch treatment.

Cornstarch or similar treatments are for leakers only. I would not do it otherwise.
Baisao

Mon May 20, 2019 12:51 am

Are these leaking when making matcha or leaking when a less viscous tea is poured into them? I think I recall someone saying they were using these biwa chawan for sencha, which is why I ask.
swordofmytriumph

Tue May 21, 2019 11:09 am

Baisao wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:51 am
Are these leaking when making matcha or leaking when a less viscous tea is poured into them? I think I recall someone saying they were using these biwa chawan for sencha, which is why I ask.
Mine was leaking for any kind of tea. I don’t drink matcha. At least not yet :mrgreen:. I say “was” because it has closed up nicely now, no cornstarch treatments; just constant, everyday use for a few months.
debunix

Tue May 21, 2019 9:09 pm

Beautifully 'brought up' piece.
lopin

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi, i am looking to find more about Zuiho Ono's life i know he was born in 1910 but not sure is still alive and about his later life. Does anybody know? Much appreciated
rdl

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:45 pm

lopin wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:37 pm
Hi, i am looking to find more about Zuiho Ono's life i know he was born in 1910 but not sure is still alive and about his later life. Does anybody know? Much appreciated
lopin,
He is not a member of the Hagi Potters Association so I can't read about him in their members publication.
I remember reading that he was not from yamaguchi-ken, and moved later in life to Hagi and developed Hagiyaki influences. Although he is not living in Hagi proper, keeping some physical and artistic remove from there.
He is alive, I had not read otherwise, and has a son doing beautiful work too. The influence is very noticeable.
I have several of his chawan, especially the biwa-hagiyaki. I find them so visually inspiring.
I'll see if I have any other information that I didn't recall.
I'd like to know more about your interest.
I wanted to add this link,
https://galleryjapan.com/locale/en_US/artist/69/
As I read, and judging by his age, Zuiho Ono, born in 1910, may not be living, but I never saw a birth/death year for him.
lopin

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:34 am

Hi Rdl, i have collected number of his houhin sets, i am using one only and it is one of my most beloved tea tools. I like the delicacy and softness that is in a way contradicting hagi estetics but still falls within.
I am thinking to offload some of my collection later this year. I want to make it as informative as possible thus looking for more info. I know he was working with porcelain as well before but any mention of his life after 1990 is a mystery.

Thanks,
IMG_20170830_081835.jpg
IMG_20170830_081835.jpg (97.23 KiB) Viewed 11324 times
Last edited by lopin on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
rdl

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:02 am

I have seen several of his Hime-hagiyaki sets, and the scraping and design features on some of his works, but porcelain I did not know he worked with. And I cannot recall seeing a Oni-hagiyaki piece.
Good luck with your e-shop.
lopin

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:41 pm

I hope i am not mistaken re porcelain. Cant find it now neither. Sorry in that case.
S_B

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:00 pm

Here is a question for those of you with Hagi collections after just picking up my first Hagi piece: The Hagi cups craze and I am assuming will eventually get stains within the crackle. Would having greens/oolongs/pu'er in the cup make the color of the craze look off with more "vibrant" colors like Japanese greens, or does it end up working fine with a mix of different teas? I have little experience with stain color development in teaware.

- I suppose as a follow-up, what would be the best way to clean the inside of the cup if eventually, you wished to reset the staining?
Attachments
DSC05255.JPG
DSC05255.JPG (189.32 KiB) Viewed 10201 times
Baisao

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:45 pm

S_B wrote:
Here is a question for those of you with Hagi collections after just picking up my first Hagi piece: The Hagi cups craze and I am assuming will eventually get stains within the crackle. Would having greens/oolongs/pu'er in the cup make the color of the craze look off with more "vibrant" colors like Japanese greens, or does it end up working fine with a mix of different teas? I have little experience with stain color development in teaware.
All tea stains eventually turn brown. A fishy shou might leave an unwanted odor. I have a guinomi similar to yours by Deishi Shibuya who recently passed. I received it as a gift. The glaze on mine is glossy and is not prone to crazing. I cannot tell if yours is glossy or matte. Bear in mind however that these are intended for sake. They were not intended for puerh and I don’t find the shape to be all that great for tea, despite how lovely they are.
S_B wrote:
I suppose as a follow-up, what would be the best way to clean the inside of the cup if eventually, you wished to reset the staining?
Sodium percarbonate.
S_B

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:06 pm

All tea stains eventually turn brown. A fishy shou might leave an unwanted odor. I have a guinomi similar to yours by Deishi Shibuya who recently passed. I received it as a gift. The glaze on mine is glossy and is not prone to crazing. I cannot tell if yours is glossy or matte. Bear in mind however that these are intended for sake. They were not intended for puerh and I don’t find the shape to be all that great for tea, despite how lovely they are.
Interesting! Mine is glossy, but has some crackling inside of the cup. I didn't realize that yunomi were used for sake like guinomi. I thought that they were intended for tea drinking! I personally find this particular cup delightful to sip sencha from, but I could see how the shape may not seem too approachable. I've been learning so much about Japanese pottery lately, thanks for the info!
Baisao

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:17 pm

S_B wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:06 pm
Interesting! Mine is glossy, but has some crackling inside of the cup. I didn't realize that yunomi were used for sake like guinomi. I thought that they were intended for tea drinking! I personally find this particular cup delightful to sip sencha from, but I could see how the shape may not seem too approachable. I've been learning so much about Japanese pottery lately, thanks for the info!
Guinomi - sake
Yunomi - tea

I think what you have is a guinomi, like mine.
Attachments
D35D813E-28A6-4858-8972-899FFE20D759.jpeg
D35D813E-28A6-4858-8972-899FFE20D759.jpeg (443.65 KiB) Viewed 10174 times
6D0B0DFC-EAB7-4775-B5B3-D8E06AEB9AFA.jpeg
6D0B0DFC-EAB7-4775-B5B3-D8E06AEB9AFA.jpeg (568.93 KiB) Viewed 10174 times
S_B

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:23 pm

Ah, looks like you're right!

Well in any case, if it could work for warm sake, it seems like it works pretty well for warm Japanese greens as well! Perhaps I'm just a renegade though Turns out reading back it seems a lot of people are doing the same :D
Baisao

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:20 pm

S_B wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:23 pm
Ah, looks like you're right!

Well in any case, if it could work for warm sake, it seems like it works pretty well for warm Japanese greens as well! Perhaps I'm just a renegade though Turns out reading back it seems a lot of people are doing the same :D
Certainly! There’s no one path. I tried it and didn’t like it compared to other cup shapes. The bottom line is to do what works for you. There’s always been a certain amount of inventiveness and/or appropriation with tea, from the origins of sencha to the origins of Taiwanese chahai and aroma cups.