Hagi

debunix

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Many guinomi are sized like gong fu cups....just right.
OhThatNinja

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 pm

I know it's a long shot but maybe someone knows who made this cup or whether it's still available for purchase anywhere...
Victoria
Admin

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:42 pm

OhThatNinja wrote:
I know it's a long shot but maybe someone knows who made this cup or whether it's still available for purchase anywhere...
Hi Welcone to TeaForum @OhThatNinja. I hope it is okay, I moved your post here to Hagi topic. Your guinomi/yunomi looks to be Aohagi. Not sure who the artisan is though. Artistic Nippon may have something similar for you. It reminds me of a cup @debunix has.

The picture you shared shows a lighter blue, it might be overexposed though. This Yamane Seigan is similar although deeper blue.

Is there a stamp or signature on the underside? If so please share image.
debunix

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:37 pm

that looks very like a Yamane Seigan cup from a TeaChat special offer. Mine was a large cup holding about a pint/500mL. I say was, because I gave it to a former colleague who loved to share tea with me.

I have several other Seigan cups with abundant blue, and love them all.

One is very delicate pale blue to clear, very rustic feeling

Another is deep blue to black, sleek and smooth

And two are mixed glazes with blue to black shades but SmugMug wrecked site search so I can't pull them up. Time to kill that account because it is now useless.
OhThatNinja

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:07 pm

debunix wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:37 pm
that looks very like a Yamane Seigan cup from a TeaChat special offer. Mine was a large cup holding about a pint/500mL. I say was, because I gave it to a former colleague who loved to share tea with me.

Oh, it sure looks like yours. Thank you so much for the info. I too own some of the TeaChat special cups but somehow missed this offer...
OhThatNinja

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:11 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:42 pm
OhThatNinja wrote:
Hi Welcone to TeaForum OhThatNinja. I hope it is okay, I moved your post here to Hagi topic. Your guinomi/yunomi looks to be Aohagi. Not sure who the artisan is though. Artistic Nippon may have something similar for you. It reminds me of a cup debunix has.

The picture you shared shows a lighter blue, it might be overexposed though. This Yamane Seigan is similar although deeper blue.

Is there a stamp or signature on the underside? If so please share image.
Thank you, Victoria!
I found that picture on the internet so I don't have the underside shot. But it sure does look like Yamane Seigan work! Too bad I can't probably acquire something like that since it was special release...
debunix

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:51 am

I've mostly obtained my Seigan pieces via those past TeaChat special offers and Magokorodo eBay store; I also scout for his wares from ArtisticNippon.com. Mago doesn't have as large a stock of Seigan recently, nor does Artistic Nippon, but eBay searching reveals lots of offers, many from a couple of stores with a lot of listings, but as I have not shopped with them before, and can't vouch for their service, I won't link them here. I see nothing quite like the large handformed yunomis from those special offers, but there are some very lovely pieces including plenty of his famous blues.
polezaivsani

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:21 am

Accidentally came upon this dizzying array of mostly Hagi ware vessels and though some teaware addicts here might enjoy it too. Might as well help curbing one's overindulgence, or exacerbate it even more, beware :D.
Bintuborg

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 pm

Here is an independent hagi shop you guys may be interested in: https://furaibo06.thebase.in/ (I recommend using google translate on chrome browser to view)
Victoria
Admin

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:07 pm

polezaivsani wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:21 am
Accidentally came upon this dizzying array of mostly Hagi ware vessels and though some teaware addicts here might enjoy it too. Might as well help curbing one's overindulgence, or exacerbate it even more, beware :D.
I see Oni Hagi has 50% off many Seigan Yamane Chawan.
Fuut
Vendor

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:59 pm

I can't follow at all those prices on the site. I see bowls priced $600,- i could buy elsewhere for less than 100,-.
rdl

Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 pm

Hiroshima Gallery (hiroshima_kyoto on eBay) has some beautiful pieces by Kunisuke Nakahara, at very nice prices. I didn't see any chawan but the yunomi are stunning.
I have five or six pieces of his, but I am very tempted.
debunix

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:56 am

Hiroshima Gallery eBay store also has a lot of work by Yamane Seigan, the Deishi family (Shibuya and Eiichi), Masanao Kaneta, and a few non-Hagi pieces as well. Fortunately I first visited in on a day off, because there are dozens of pages of lovely things, and quite a few very inexpensive pieces (but not by Masanao Kaneta!) that will be just right to give to the next work colleagues who happen to like tea.
Fuut
Vendor

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:22 pm

debunix wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:56 am
Hiroshima Gallery eBay store also has a lot of work by Yamane Seigan, the Deishi family (Shibuya and Eiichi), Masanao Kaneta, and a few non-Hagi pieces as well. Fortunately I first visited in on a day off, because there are dozens of pages of lovely things, and quite a few very inexpensive pieces (but not by Masanao Kaneta!) that will be just right to give to the next work colleagues who happen to like tea.
The 2 guinomi set by Kaneta that fits on top of eachother is quite cute though expensive.
debunix

Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:10 pm

I saw several listings in the Onihagi and Hiroshima Gallery shops for a 'Demon luxury tea bowl'. Is this a Hagi term for a particular style of bowl?