Hagi

rdl

Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:59 pm

Fuut wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:59 pm
I can't follow at all those prices on the site. I see bowls priced $600,- i could buy elsewhere for less than 100,-.
Seigan has a large workshop, with several kilns and staff. Looking through his studio you will find pieces priced from low to high, depending on the degree of quality he determines that work to be.
I cannot judge why the various e-shops price his work the way they do, but I imagine in all fairness to these shops, they make the same price determination as Seigan himself does. That's to say, a $100 chawan is worth $100, while a $500 chawan is worth that much.
debunix

Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:22 pm

I've looked at a lot of his work from various sites and sources since I first became aware of him via those now-deleted TeaChat Hagi special offers. The pieces on the OniHagi site are clearly more sophisticated and striking, and I value them a lot higher than the inexpensive cups I purchased off the Hiroshima Gallery site. To be fair, the Hiroshima Gallery also offers some higher priced and much more striking works. But for what I was looking for--a few inexpensive cups to share at work--these 'from the master's shop' works will be perfect. And I'll finally get a chance to hold one of his 'ice split' glazes in my hand and get a better sense of whether I really want to invest in something like this:

debunix

Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:09 am

New little Hagi by Eiichi Shibuya, from the Hiroshima Galley eBay store. I was smitten with the pillowy white glaze patterned against the dark clay. It has a subtle matte finish and feels a bit matte to the touch too.
4B7DBC0C-3A8B-4530-8514-1C38B8B41ACA.jpeg
4B7DBC0C-3A8B-4530-8514-1C38B8B41ACA.jpeg (168.92 KiB) Viewed 9524 times
9CFE44D1-CAAB-4082-B892-9D16ABCC1855.jpeg
9CFE44D1-CAAB-4082-B892-9D16ABCC1855.jpeg (311.87 KiB) Viewed 9524 times
E6C61D5A-CF02-46E6-82D0-2D2008F4A38A.jpeg
E6C61D5A-CF02-46E6-82D0-2D2008F4A38A.jpeg (206.06 KiB) Viewed 9524 times
Bintuborg

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:49 pm

I like!!
Abracadaver!

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:43 pm

rdl wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:59 pm
Fuut wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:59 pm
I can't follow at all those prices on the site. I see bowls priced $600,- i could buy elsewhere for less than 100,-.
Seigan has a large workshop, with several kilns and staff. Looking through his studio you will find pieces priced from low to high, depending on the degree of quality he determines that work to be.
I cannot judge why the various e-shops price his work the way they do, but I imagine in all fairness to these shops, they make the same price determination as Seigan himself does. That's to say, a $100 chawan is worth $100, while a $500 chawan is worth that much.
I would recommend being extremely cautious when purchasing from this vendor. I have seen a number of items in their shop originally for sale via Yahoo Auctions Japan be sold, then listed a couple of weeks later by this vendor at triple/quadruple the price. Obviously, an item is worth what someone is willing to pay so more power to them, but note that the prices you see are likely not representative of the normal market value of the item. Same for the incense-- a few things on their site are price at nearly 10x the actual price.

Full disclosure: I have purchased from this vendor before, and the last time was a huge mess. I'm not suggesting they are untrustworthy, just not very transparent and extremely unreliable. Caveat emptor.
Rarity

Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:16 am

I‘ve been under the assumption that when using hagi ware, if you use a pot or a cup for one particular type of tea then we need to stay with that particular tea as it will eventually stain the teaware and affect the taste for future teas. But lately i noticed pictures of people using the same hagiware for different tea types and i went to ask a vendor about it. The vendor said its possible and that the stains don't affect the taste of the tea. Is this true? I was fairly sold on that till the vendor told me i could even put hot chocolate or soda on it which i've been told is a big no no.

Also how long do we soak hagi ware before using them on a daily basis? And is it hot, lukewarm or cold water? Or do we just rise it with hot water afterwards?
debunix

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:14 am

Please see discussion in this recent thread regarding stains and what we put in Hagi....

Regarding soaks etc, I soak Hagi before a first use in warm water; but I do not give them a daily soak (but maybe I should, I've lost a couple of lovely pieces to cracks, sad lessions all). I use my most delicate wares--not all and not only Hagi, as this Iga-yaki falls into the same category of very thin-walled coarse clays--mostly with Japanese teas that start out with cooler infusions and gradually increase temps with later infusions right up to boiling, so I am not shocking the cups with boiling water from room temperature. And if they really cool down between infusions because of some delay--like perfect light in the garden prompting a photo excursion--I splash hot water over them inside and out to rinse and warm before filling with the next infusion.
rdl

Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:40 am

Rarity wrote:
Also how long do we soak hagi ware before using them on a daily basis? And is it hot, lukewarm or cold water? Or do we just rise it with hot water afterwards?
In my own use of Hagiyaki I have only followed the instructions of soaking a new piece before the first use. After, I have only rinsed the cup, bowl, in hot water to clean it, let it dry, and take it later as is to use again. Even in Hagi, as well in a potter's studio, I have not seen a pre-rinse done before serving tea. Just my knowledge and observation. I don't want to cause any unfortunate breakage by suggesting this must be the only procedure. It's necessary to add that I don't typically pour close to boiling hot tea in my Hagiyaki.
Rarity

Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Thank you for your suggestions!
olivierd

Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:18 am

rdl wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:40 am
Rarity wrote:
In my own use of Hagiyaki I have only followed the instructions of soaking a new piece before the first use. After, I have only rinsed the cup, bowl, in hot water to clean it, let it dry, and take it later as is to use again. Even in Hagi, as well in a potter's studio, I have not seen a pre-rinse done before serving tea. Just my knowledge and observation. I don't want to cause any unfortunate breakage by suggesting this must be the only procedure. It's necessary to add that I don't typically pour close to boiling hot tea in my Hagiyaki.
In Tea Ceremony, you usely have to warm up and wet the ustensils before and during the preparation. So basically at the preparation stage, you wash the bowl with some hot water at the very minimum. Eventually because some glaze are porous you would leave it for a few minutes so the clay gets wet, and the tea won't penetrate too far and stain the bowl. Some hagi are porous. Personally I leave the water 10mn and let the chasen rest in it so it gets also wet and soft.
You also do a "pre-rinse" before the serving, this is from a tea making point of view a way of re-warming the chawan, and from a Chado perspective this is a purification and a gesture of respect to the guest. If you don't do the warming before Koicha (thick tea) service, the tea will be to cold and will not be enjoyable.
Hagi is one of the 3 chawan types you would be using together with Raku and Karatsu for Chanoyu, so this is the traditional way it is done. Purity i.e. cleaness is an aboslute must from wa kei sei jaku.
I would also suggest to dry the chawan, guinomi, etc... after usage and cleaning (only with your hand). However, I saw many friends "rubbing" the cup to dry it, that causes on a long term the glaze to lose its charm and become dull. This must be done very gently, touching it with a cloth is enough.
debunix

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:57 am

An unexpected new source for Hagiyaki: Amazon.com.

Edited to fix link
debunix

Sun May 30, 2021 2:52 pm

New biwa/loquat glaze Hagi guinomi by Mukuhara Kashun.
210530 Hagi biwa guinomi by Mukuhara Kashun DSCF0515 copy x1000.jpg
210530 Hagi biwa guinomi by Mukuhara Kashun DSCF0515 copy x1000.jpg (178.97 KiB) Viewed 7729 times
It followed the Touju hohin home from Artistic Nippon. It's a lovely little thing, with the dense....not crackles, but something between a thick crawling shino and crackles, where a fissure in the glaze looks like an crack in the clay, like dried mud that fractures into a paving-stone pattern, looking leaky as can be....but this gem does not leak.
210531 Biwa Hagi guinom by Kashun DSCF0524 ppd marked.jpg
210531 Biwa Hagi guinom by Kashun DSCF0524 ppd marked.jpg (206.47 KiB) Viewed 7729 times
debunix

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:36 am

Another day, another lovely session with my Biwa Hagiyaki cup from Mukuhara Kashun.....it's such a perfect size fit with the Shimizu Ken lefty pot & gyokuro. And today I realize that the bulges of the shape fit my fingers so perfectly that it's like it was custom made for my hand: such a secure feeling with a very relaxed grip.
IMG_2520.jpg
IMG_2520.jpg (108.87 KiB) Viewed 7590 times
IMG_2519.jpg
IMG_2519.jpg (87.24 KiB) Viewed 7590 times
Fuut
Vendor

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:01 pm

His works always seem to be 'relaxed', or giving a relaxed vibe to me. That color is also very cool and the one time I wanted to snap up one his works it was thát color. I remember coveting the images on Artistic Nippon for days and then it was sold (not to me :o).
debunix

Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:08 pm

The color really is that intense, warm peach. And yes, relaxed, but entirely functional too.