Hagi

User avatar
debunix
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Many guinomi are sized like gong fu cups....just right.
OhThatNinja
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:25 pm
Location: Ohio

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 pm

I know it's a long shot but maybe someone knows who made this cup or whether it's still available for purchase anywhere...
Image
User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:42 pm

OhThatNinja wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 pm
I know it's a long shot but maybe someone knows who made this cup or whether it's still available for purchase anywhere...
Image
Hi Welcone to TeaForum @OhThatNinja. I hope it is okay, I moved your post here to Hagi topic. Your guinomi/yunomi looks to be Aohagi. Not sure who the artisan is though. Artistic Nippon may have something similar for you. It reminds me of a cup @debunix has.

The picture you shared shows a lighter blue, it might be overexposed though. This Yamane Seigan is similar although deeper blue.

Is there a stamp or signature on the underside? If so please share image.
User avatar
debunix
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:37 pm

that looks very like a Yamane Seigan cup from a TeaChat special offer. Mine was a large cup holding about a pint/500mL. I say was, because I gave it to a former colleague who loved to share tea with me.

Image

Image

I have several other Seigan cups with abundant blue, and love them all.

One is very delicate pale blue to clear, very rustic feeling

Image

Another is deep blue to black, sleek and smooth

Image

And two are mixed glazes with blue to black shades but SmugMug wrecked site search so I can't pull them up. Time to kill that account because it is now useless.
OhThatNinja
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:25 pm
Location: Ohio

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:07 pm

debunix wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:37 pm
that looks very like a Yamane Seigan cup from a TeaChat special offer. Mine was a large cup holding about a pint/500mL. I say was, because I gave it to a former colleague who loved to share tea with me.

Image
Oh, it sure looks like yours. Thank you so much for the info. I too own some of the TeaChat special cups but somehow missed this offer...
OhThatNinja
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:25 pm
Location: Ohio

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:11 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:42 pm
OhThatNinja wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 pm
I know it's a long shot but maybe someone knows who made this cup or whether it's still available for purchase anywhere...
Image
Hi Welcone to TeaForum OhThatNinja. I hope it is okay, I moved your post here to Hagi topic. Your guinomi/yunomi looks to be Aohagi. Not sure who the artisan is though. Artistic Nippon may have something similar for you. It reminds me of a cup debunix has.

The picture you shared shows a lighter blue, it might be overexposed though. This Yamane Seigan is similar although deeper blue.

Is there a stamp or signature on the underside? If so please share image.
Thank you, Victoria!
I found that picture on the internet so I don't have the underside shot. But it sure does look like Yamane Seigan work! Too bad I can't probably acquire something like that since it was special release...
User avatar
debunix
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:51 am

I've mostly obtained my Seigan pieces via those past TeaChat special offers and Magokorodo eBay store; I also scout for his wares from ArtisticNippon.com. Mago doesn't have as large a stock of Seigan recently, nor does Artistic Nippon, but eBay searching reveals lots of offers, many from a couple of stores with a lot of listings, but as I have not shopped with them before, and can't vouch for their service, I won't link them here. I see nothing quite like the large handformed yunomis from those special offers, but there are some very lovely pieces including plenty of his famous blues.
polezaivsani
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:43 pm
Location: Kaliningrad, RU

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:21 am

Accidentally came upon this dizzying array of mostly Hagi ware vessels and though some teaware addicts here might enjoy it too. Might as well help curbing one's overindulgence, or exacerbate it even more, beware :D.
Bintuborg
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:29 pm
Location: San Diego, Ca

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 pm

Here is an independent hagi shop you guys may be interested in: https://furaibo06.thebase.in/ (I recommend using google translate on chrome browser to view)
User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:07 pm

polezaivsani wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:21 am
Accidentally came upon this dizzying array of mostly Hagi ware vessels and though some teaware addicts here might enjoy it too. Might as well help curbing one's overindulgence, or exacerbate it even more, beware :D.
I see Oni Hagi has 50% off many Seigan Yamane Chawan.
User avatar
Fuut
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:31 am
Location: Netherlands

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:59 pm

I can't follow at all those prices on the site. I see bowls priced $600,- i could buy elsewhere for less than 100,-.
User avatar
rdl
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:43 am

Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 pm

Hiroshima Gallery (hiroshima_kyoto on eBay) has some beautiful pieces by Kunisuke Nakahara, at very nice prices. I didn't see any chawan but the yunomi are stunning.
I have five or six pieces of his, but I am very tempted.
User avatar
debunix
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:56 am

Hiroshima Gallery eBay store also has a lot of work by Yamane Seigan, the Deishi family (Shibuya and Eiichi), Masanao Kaneta, and a few non-Hagi pieces as well. Fortunately I first visited in on a day off, because there are dozens of pages of lovely things, and quite a few very inexpensive pieces (but not by Masanao Kaneta!) that will be just right to give to the next work colleagues who happen to like tea.
User avatar
Fuut
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:31 am
Location: Netherlands

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:22 pm

debunix wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:56 am
Hiroshima Gallery eBay store also has a lot of work by Yamane Seigan, the Deishi family (Shibuya and Eiichi), Masanao Kaneta, and a few non-Hagi pieces as well. Fortunately I first visited in on a day off, because there are dozens of pages of lovely things, and quite a few very inexpensive pieces (but not by Masanao Kaneta!) that will be just right to give to the next work colleagues who happen to like tea.
The 2 guinomi set by Kaneta that fits on top of eachother is quite cute though expensive.
User avatar
debunix
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:10 pm

I saw several listings in the Onihagi and Hiroshima Gallery shops for a 'Demon luxury tea bowl'. Is this a Hagi term for a particular style of bowl?
Post Reply