Can I use a cupping set to brew sencha?

Heliconia

Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:06 pm

Baisao wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:03 pm
Heliconia wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:02 pm
Thanks every for the valuable advice. I can see that experimenting and developing personal preferences are part of the process. I guess I am better off with an entry level kyusu as suggested above.
Consider an entry level kyusu a lost cost. It will serve you well and you’ll love it for a while but soon outgrow it for kyusu made with much better clay and having other qualities that you’ll come to appreciate.

Nevertheless, it is probably better than getting a higher end kyusu without yet knowing what you like.

It may be hard to imagine but clays, shapes, and forms change the character of teas. And you won’t know what you like until you dive in. This can get expensive.

If you simply want a way to brew tea while working, I’d recommend the borosilicate pitcher. It will be neutral and reliable. Some fines may get through the filter but it’s hardly a show stopper. It’s inexpensive and will not be a sunken cost. I have an extensive teapot collection yet I still use my borosilicate pitcher for every day loose leaf like bancha and sencha.

HTH
I am more on the minimalist side and hate to accumulate stuff that I am less likely to use later on. Thank you for recommending the pitcher! It seems well-suited to how I want to use it: portable, inexpensive, and versatile enough for my needs.