Kyusu advice

teatray

Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:39 am

Looking to buy my first small kyusu for sencha brews between 60-70ml and 90-100ml (so spec'd at around 120-140ml by Japanese vendors, I guess) and could use some help. What are your favs in this range that don't break the bank but look and handle well (incl. when using near-boiling water for later steeps)? I'm probably going to go with a sidehandle tokoname, possibly a flatter type, but neither is a necessity. Only requirement is a ceramic filter. Fukamushi-compatibility is also optional (I like drinking them, but dislike cleaning very fine filters, so may end up getting a cheaper pot for fukamushi later.)

Some of my absolute favs (and also the limit budget-wise) are these (one | two) black Setsudo pieces, but difficult to justify the price ($490), esp. not knowing how they handle (it better be stellar). This Jinshu is much more reasonably priced (¥ equiv. $174). His filters look super-cool, but I have no experience with them. This banko by Iroku is a bit small but also interesting. (I really liked Otsuki Shun's banko pots on TdJ but they sold out.) There's also a sub-$100 120ml version of my 200ml Koushi Umehara/Gyokko Kiln pot. I like the 200ml a lot: the lid seals perfectly (flow stops when hole is covered) and pour is visually fully laminar, but the handle is a bit small, and the good qualities may not be guaranteed, considering the price. Anyway, all suggestions would be very welcome, as I just can't decide.
pizzapotamus

Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:08 pm

Sample size of one but my(rather larger) Setsudo is perfect in terms of handling and finish. I wouldn't really have concerns about the Umehara one either those "craftsman" pots seem to always be a fair bet, really I have more faith in the consistent quality of many ~$100 pots than I do many of the more expensive ones where technical regularity can fall by the wayside. However if it is quite similar to a larger pot you have I'd personally want to get something else, and I'd think a flatish 200ml pot should do alright on those smaller brews? especially the upper range.

Given the price concerns and that you were leaning towards flat I'd vote Jinshu, although if they were all laid out in front of me and I was told to take one I'm picking up the 2nd Setsudo and running before they can change their mind.

Edit: While I've only actually used the one Setsudo I have had hands on probably a half dozen others(all large) and they certainly seemed excellently made.
teatray

Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:36 pm

Thanks, @pizzapotamus! Good to know about the Setsudo pieces... maybe one day, in case there are still some waiting for me. But I pulled the trigger on the Jinshu after all, as importing stuff below €150 into the EU is less work & duty-free, and Mr. Kojima from the site was excellent in accommodating that (the asking price was a few € above the limit).
Baisao

Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:46 am

@teatray, you mentioned later finding a kyusu with fukamushi compatibility. My experience has been that tall pots work best for fukamushi. The leaves settle at the bottom and will not plug your filter if you pour with a gentle technique.

Following shape and size, I’d begin choosing clay and firing type. Not all clays are created equally, even within Tokoname clays. The sub $100 kyusu may be more consistent owing to the use of molds but cheap clay can negatively affect your tea. I have a wall of kyusu and the only one I regret getting is a beautiful $120 pot with clay that introduces a texture to the tea that is too prickly.