Tomobako

pedant
Admin

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Please share information and questions about tomobako here. :mrgreen:

Tomobako

The tomobako (共箱) is a Japanese wooden box specially made to protect and store important ceramic pieces (yakimono).

Tomobako
Tomobako
tomobako.jpg (81.68 KiB) Viewed 8539 times

These lightweight boxes are traditionally constructed of kiri (桐), or paulownia wood, and feature special joinery details which vary from box to box. The unfinished wood is susceptible to darkening via oxidation over time:

Tomobako: Kiri Wood Darkening with Age
Tomobako: Kiri Wood Darkening with Age
tomobako-age-comparison.jpg (139.48 KiB) Viewed 8545 times

The box on the left is new, and the one on the right is 60-100+ years old.

They are frequently adorned with calligraphy and/or stamps identifying the kiln, year, maker, style, special glaze, or type of ceramic ware. The writing usually begins on the upper right-hand corner of the top of the lid, the underside of the lid, or the side of the box. The potter's name usually appears on the lower left, signing only with their first name. A folded piece of paper is often placed over it to protect the calligraphy.

The tomobako plays an important role in the value and protection of important Japanese pottery, so handle with care.

Please read Robert Yellin's excellent article: "The Box: Don't Throw It Away!" :lol:

Sanadahimo

The box is secured with a woven ribbon called a sanadahimo (真田紐) or himo (紐). There are various ways to tie a himo, but basically you just tie it into a bow. Here's my favorite demonstration video:

If you have a box that is missing a himo, you can estimate the required length with this equation:
  • himo length ≈ 1.3 × (3L + 3W + 4H)
where L, W, and H are the tomobako's length, width, and height, respectively.

Replacement himo can be obtained from various sources including eBay, Etsy, and www.sanadahimo.com.

If you are so inclined, you can terminate the himo like this:

Tomobako: Sanadahimo Fray Repair
Tomobako: Sanadahimo Fray Repair
sanadahimo-fray-repair.jpg (110.33 KiB) Viewed 8533 times
http://www.sanadahimo.com/en/style/

This prevents the ends from coming apart and adds a bit of flair.

Ukon-fu

Sometimes, an ukonfu (turmeric cloth, ウコン布) is included. Also known as tomogire (共布), this cloth provides some cushioning in the box and was traditionally dyed orange-yellow with turmeric possibly for insect repellant properties. Today, other dyes are used. The cloth is commonly stamped by the artist. See also this thread.

Tomobako: Ukonfu
Tomobako: Ukonfu
ukonfu.jpg (71.74 KiB) Viewed 8539 times

Protective Paper

A folded piece of paper can be placed over the lid to protect the calligraphy from being rubbed away by the himo or by things stacked on top. Mulberry or other natural/decorative paper products are popular options.

The paper is commonly folded like this:

Tomobako: Protective Paper
Tomobako: Protective Paper
tomobako-paper-folding.jpg (226.33 KiB) Viewed 8405 times

Storage & Organization

I find it helpful to place a descriptive info card inside each tomobako to keep everything organized. This can help you (or someone else -- imagine that!) identify which box goes with each item years in the future. Having "dealt with" deceased relatives' collections of various things, I want to make it as easy as possible for anyone in the future to understand what's what. Including a precise item mass provides an additional point of verification.

I also write a summary on the outer paper or tuck a piece of a post-it note under the himo. That way, I don't have to open it up.

Tomobako: Info Card Example
Tomobako: Info Card Example
tomobako-info-card.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 8536 times

If you want to go crazy, you can also create a spreadsheet with these details and more. Assigning each piece a unique ID and referencing that on the info card is probably wise.

I keep all my tomobako stacked in a cardboard box. I also keep the original packaging material (paper, bubble wrap, etc) inside each tomobako.
DailyTX

Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:25 pm

I have seen Tomobako mentioned a lot in Japanese teaware threads. It seems people also collect them like any antique. I haven’t found much information on maintenance. Any one can shed some light on how to clean a old Tokobako? ;)
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:45 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:25 pm
I have seen Tomobako mentioned a lot in Japanese teaware threads. It seems people also collect them like any antique. I haven’t found much information on maintenance. Any one can shed some light on how to clean a old Tokobako? ;)
I would suggest hand wash with just a little delicate washing liquid.
pedant
Admin

Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:50 pm

just treat it like any other unfinished wood. a dry cloth for wiping off dust is fine.

if necessary, you can use a damp cloth, but go easy on the ink.

i've never used soap, but i guess you could use a little if you think it really needs it. i wouldn't soap the ink though.

little dings and stains add character over time :lol:
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:20 pm

pedant wrote:
just treat it like any other unfinished wood. a dry cloth for wiping off dust is fine.

i've never used soap, but i guess you could use a little if you think it really needs it. i wouldn't soap the ink though.

Ha, just realised I confused it with the yellow cloth...

My bad, so of course for old wood, a gentle brushing and dusting is best. I'd leave them as is, unless circumstances require it.
DailyTX

Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:43 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:20 pm
pedant wrote:

Ha, just realised I confused it with the yellow cloth...

My bad, so of course for old wood, a gentle brushing and dusting is best. I'd leave them as is, unless circumstances require it.
@Bok& @pedant

I am fine with a little dust on wood. Here in the United States, it’s pretty dry. I usually polish my wooden collectibles with a oil product about once a year to preserve the wood. I hesitated to do anything with a tomobako because I may ruined the patina on the outside. Maybe I’ll wipe it down with a damped cloth, and observe how the wood reacts to the climate and then decide on what to do
Baisao

Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:22 am

Definitely do not treat the kiri wood of the tomobako!

1) It’s not dry enough here in Texas for that to be a concern with this low resin wood, 2) it’s an extremely absorbent wood so it would be an impractical mess, 3) the ink will be messed up by any treatments, and 4) the wood is supposed to have a patina.

I have dozens of tomobako and kiribako, from modern to antique. The patina on the antique ones is really lovely.

HTH
Darbotek

Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:49 am

How about some more tomobako questions!

I am starting to possess what I would consider, too many, tomobako. What is everyone’s favorite storage options? A Rubbermaid container in my closet seems a little undignified. I also don’t really have a place to display them as I am trying to minimize my office/tea space.

Also, what’s a good source for replacement cords? I have a few older tomobako that are missing their cords.
(Edit: just found someone selling it for $2.50 a meter on etsy! Quite the selection of colors too)
(Edit2: Oofbaboof, $40 shipping for 5 meters...maybe I need to find another source)
pedant
Admin

Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:34 am

this topic gave me the push to finish up a tomobako article draft i started a long time ago. i finished it and merged it in :)

i can never remember how to tie them, though.

Tomobako Cats
Tomobako Cats
nekobako.jpg (116.81 KiB) Viewed 8495 times
Bok
Vendor

Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:20 am

Darbotek wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:49 am
How about some more tomobako questions!

I am starting to possess what I would consider, too many, tomobako. What is everyone’s favorite storage options? A Rubbermaid container in my closet seems a little undignified. I also don’t really have a place to display them as I am trying to minimize my office/tea space.
Why not just stack them? Kind of besides the point of a storage box if I need to store it in another, no?
pedant
Admin

Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:21 am

imo it doesn't really matter how you store them if you're not displaying them. do whatever's convenient. just try to keep them from getting dirty.
Darbotek

Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:39 am

pedant wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:34 am
this topic gave me the push to finish up a tomobako article draft i started a long time ago. i finished it and merged it in :)

i can never remember how to tie them, though.

Thank you so much for finishing/merging this. Answered all my questions! I was about to finalize a package from a forwarding service, I may measure my boxes and order some cord.
Bok wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:20 am
Why not just stack them? Kind of besides the point of a storage box if I need to store it in another, no?
pedant wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:21 am
imo it doesn't really matter how you store them if you're not displaying them. do whatever's convenient. just try to keep them from getting dirty.
I guess my main concern was humidity. I live in a drafty 1930s house in East Texas. My tea space has 3 exterior walls so it’s probably the most humid room in the house. While I do have a dehumidifier, my closet stays pretty humid. But I guess I shouldn’t be too worried about humidity in my closet, considering Japans humidity.
DailyTX

Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:13 am

Thank you @pedantfor such informative article. I am curious if you know how tomobako is constructed from different period. The modern ones look like it’s glued together. I have seen some with wooden nails, and others have that dove tail joinery. I also read articles online that the antique ones were glued with a rice product.
Baisao

Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:29 am

@Darbotek, I grew up in the Big Thicket and know East Texas humidity intimately. Visitors from Nacogdoches and Angelina counties would visit us and complain about how “sticky” it was. It wasn’t until I was an adult and had left the area and returned that I understood the meaning. You practically need gills to live there!

Kiri wood boxes will develop mold and get a musty smell. I know this from some of the antique tomobako that I have from Japan, also a humid place, with drafty houses.

I would suggest long term storage in sealed plastic bins/bags with desiccant, away from areas where they could have rapid temperature changes. They don’t do this in Japan afaik but then I have seen moldy tomobako.
Baisao

Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:36 am

DailyTX wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:13 am
I am curious if you know how tomobako is constructed from different period. The modern ones look like it’s glued together. I have seen some with wooden nails, and others have that dove tail joinery. I also read articles online that the antique ones were glued with a rice product.
I’ve seen better and worse examples. Anecdotally, my experience is that the effort that goes into the tomobako is proportionate to the value of the item it contains. I’ve seen some with fine joinery and others that are slapped together with glue. The wood seems softer on contemporary kiribako than the wood on the antique ones. I have also seen new tomobako created for vintage precious items, with rosewood inlay and dedication poetry.