Tomobako

Darbotek

Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:47 pm

Baisao wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:29 am
Darbotek, I grew up in the Big Thicket and know East Texas humidity intimately. Visitors from Nacogdoches and Angelina counties would visit us and complain about how “sticky” it was. It wasn’t until I was an adult and had left the area and returned that I understood the meaning. You practically need gills to live there!

Kiri wood boxes will develop mold and get a musty smell. I know this from some of the antique tomobako that I have from Japan, also a humid place, with drafty houses.

I would suggest long term storage in sealed plastic bins/bags with desiccant, away from areas where they could have rapid temperature changes. They don’t do this in Japan afaik but then I have seen moldy tomobako.
Whew yeah. I’m sure the humidity down there make my neck (Tyler) seem like a desert. When I ever I think about the humidity down near the coast I think of the Karankawa, who would coast themselves with shark fat to repel the mosquitos. I can’t even begin to image the smell of a hardworking, sweaty human covered in shark fat.

That was my original idea, a Rubbermaid with some silica tucked away in it.
Baisao

Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:09 pm

@Darbotek, I sure could have used that Karankawa wisdom. Mosquitoes are bad of course but the clouds of stinging gnats were worse because the are so tiny they’d get through my hair and bite my scalp. The Big Thicket is a paradox of sorts: it’s rugged and unforgiving place of extreme heat/humidity, dangerous critters, and impenetrable forest; yet it is a veritable eden of flora and fauna, such that only a fool could go hungry there. We were mostly subsistence so we we spent most of our time actively in the Thicket hunting, fishing, and gathering seasonal foods/materials, comme de vrais Acadiens.

I read an account recently that was translated from French. Around 1825 the French built a settlement near on the Trinity River near Moss Hill and had told the Karankawa that it was temporary. After a year, the Karankawa captured some of the French trappers and ate parts of them. This so disturbed the rest of the French settlers that they left the area.

We frequently put in by canoe at that location on the Trinity River. Moss Hill to I-10 is still some of the most remote and difficult terrain in the area. I have huge respect for the Karankawa.

(Apologies to all for being OT)
faj

Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:35 am

Baisao wrote:
We were mostly subsistence so we we spent most of our time actively in the Thicket hunting, fishing, and gathering seasonal foods/materials, comme de vrais Acadiens.
Out of curiosity, are you of Acadian descent, or was that just a nod?
Baisao

Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:53 am

faj wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:35 am
Baisao wrote:
We were mostly subsistence so we we spent most of our time actively in the Thicket hunting, fishing, and gathering seasonal foods/materials, comme de vrais Acadiens.
Out of curiosity, are you of Acadian descent, or was that just a nod?
Cajun, yes, though half of my line skipped Acadia and came to Louisiana directly from France.
DailyTX

Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:23 am

Anyone who can help with deciphering this Tomobako? I think it's for a copper vessel/vase. The paper attached to the tomobako may be the artist? :?:
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2608.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2608.jpg (260.36 KiB) Viewed 6915 times
thumbnail_IMG_2613.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2613.jpg (222.81 KiB) Viewed 6915 times
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:39 pm

How to tie knot on Japanese boxes
… that is my question?

does anyone have a good step by step tutorial for it? I feel like I’m doing it differently each time I close a box and never as pretty as when I received it from Japan…

Hope this is the right section of the forum to post this.
Last edited by pedant on Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mod edit: added question from previous topic subject
Pants404

Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:35 pm

I had a good laugh when I saw this post because it reminded me of the many tedious times I have sat over a box delicately trying to replicate how the knot was originally tied.
I too would appreciate some tips here.
LeoFox

Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:39 pm

Bok
Vendor

Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:40 pm

Pants404 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:35 pm
I had a good laugh when I saw this post because it reminded me of the many tedious times I have sat over a box delicately trying to replicate how the knot was originally tied.
I too would appreciate some tips here.
It is, isn't it? I have sat in front of boxes not wanting to open them and trying hard to memorise how it was looking before. Try to unravel the least possible to replicate it when closing again…
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:40 pm

That’s it! Perfect, thanks Mr Fox!