Shiboridashi Love:

klepto

Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:03 pm

Thanks to TF, I've learned about all the teaware I don't have :mrgreen:. Soo, I picked up a glazed Asahi shiboridashi and matching cups. The porcelain is a bit heavy, and you can still burn your fingers if you don't position them properly but I like the simplicity and the functionality of it. I did notice that my puerh leaves opened up much faster than they do in my thin walled gaiwans. I think I want a hohin as well and they might even replace my beloved :sparkling_heart: horseshoe tianbai gaiwan :sparkling_heart: that I treat like my first born child. I may look into kyusu later but I'm not sure you can use that to brew up everything.
Noonie

Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:03 pm

klepto wrote:
Thanks to TF, I've learned about all the teaware I don't have :mrgreen:. Soo, I picked up a glazed Asahi shiboridashi and matching cups. The porcelain is a bit heavy, and you can still burn your fingers if you don't position them properly but I like the simplicity and the functionality of it. I did notice that my puerh leaves opened up much faster than they do in my thin walled gaiwans. I think I want a hohin as well and they might even replace my beloved :sparkling_heart: horseshoe tianbai gaiwan :sparkling_heart: that I treat like my first born child. I may look into kyusu later but I'm not sure you can use that to brew up everything.
Hey @klepto

I have a Shawn Mcguire matching Shib and cup that I've only used for japanese green teas so far...but now you have me intriged to try with Pu'erh. This shib is a it tall and narrow compared to other shibs, probably more like a gaiwan. What I like about it is although it's glazed, it's only lightly glazed and has parts on the outside not glazed at all...has a rustic feel to it and it's a pleasure to use. My larger leaf sencha always tastes really good in it, better than my Kyusu's.

I have a Hohin that is fully glazed and gets hot to use even at 85C. Not sure I would like that with Pu'erh.

In any case, I love the idea of trying something new!
klepto

Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:00 pm

Noonie wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:03 pm
klepto wrote:
Hey klepto

I have a Shawn Mcguire matching Shib and cup that I've only used for japanese green teas so far...but now you have me intriged to try with Pu'erh. This shib is a it tall and narrow compared to other shibs, probably more like a gaiwan. What I like about it is although it's glazed, it's only lightly glazed and has parts on the outside not glazed at all...has a rustic feel to it and it's a pleasure to use. My larger leaf sencha always tastes really good in it, better than my Kyusu's.

I have a Hohin that is fully glazed and gets hot to use even at 85C. Not sure I would like that with Pu'erh.

In any case, I love the idea of trying something new!
@Noonie Oh I feel the heat at times but I've gotten my technique down now. My shib is tall, and I also was looking at some houhin that use iga natural clay. They don't keep heat for long so it might be good for young shengs but who knows.

shib.jpg
shib.jpg (239.15 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
Bok
Vendor

Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:32 pm

Problem with these is that they are conceived for low temp Japanese tea brewing. So brewing Chinese style teas is hit and miss in terms of burning your fingers...
klepto

Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:07 pm

Bok wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:32 pm
Problem with these is that they are conceived for low temp Japanese tea brewing. So brewing Chinese style teas is hit and miss in terms of burning your fingers...
Yes, using this at low temps would be optimal. The porcelain on my is pretty thick, it might even opening the leaves faster that I need.