Ode to the Kyusu

User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:45 pm

OhThatNinja wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:01 pm
Here's one of my little guys:
Image
Really nice blue glaze. Do you know who the artisan is?
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3562
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:52 pm

OhThatNinja wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:01 pm
Here's one of my little guys:
Image
Is that Japanese made? Has a little Western-made feel to me. Cute!
OhThatNinja
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:25 pm
Location: Ohio

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:24 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:45 pm

Really nice blue glaze. Do you know who the artisan is?
Me :-)

P.S. I guess that outdoor shot didn't capture the color correctly. It's more of a green color (classic Celadon glaze). Here's an indoor shot with a matching cup:
Celadon Kyusu.JPG
Celadon Kyusu.JPG (217.94 KiB) Viewed 597 times
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3562
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 pm

OhThatNinja wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:24 pm
Me :-)
Ha, that explains it :lol:

Not bad! How large is it?
OhThatNinja
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:25 pm
Location: Ohio

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 pm
OhThatNinja wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:24 pm
Me :-)
Ha, that explains it :lol:

Not bad! How large is it?
About 100 ml. Cup is the same size so it's a single serving tea pot.
I made a few other (bigger) tea pots but this is the smallest out of the bunch.

Just curious, what gave it away as Western-made?
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3562
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:07 pm

OhThatNinja wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 pm
Just curious, what gave it away as Western-made?
haha, some details just did not look like Japanese potters would do it and the overall feel has a Western touch to it. In the sense of that all the elements are there, but the way they connect and would normally form a harmony born out of function and geometry is not quite there yet – please take this as constructive critique!

The most obvious is how the side handle is done and aligned to the body. Someone familiar with side-handle objects since childhood days would intimately know how it would ideally look and handle. From my own humble pottery learning experience I'd say getting a side handle right is a lot more difficult than a back-handle...
OhThatNinja
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:25 pm
Location: Ohio

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:29 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:07 pm
OhThatNinja wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 pm
Just curious, what gave it away as Western-made?
haha, some details just did not look like Japanese potters would do it and the overall feel has a Western touch to it. In the sense of that all the elements are there, but the way they connect and would normally form a harmony born out of function and geometry is not quite there yet – please take this as constructive critique!

The most obvious is how the side handle is done and aligned to the body. Someone familiar with side-handle objects since childhood days would intimately know how it would ideally look and handle. From my own humble pottery learning experience I'd say getting a side handle right is a lot more difficult than a back-handle...
I really appreciate your input, Bok!
To be honest, I was most certainly influenced and inspired by works of Petr Novak right around the time I started doing pottery...
User avatar
Fuut
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:31 am
Location: Netherlands

Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:00 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:50 pm
Fuut the rams horn motif is interesting on the houhin, and the porcelain kyusu is like a whimsical cartoon. Pretty funny. Are they yours?
No they're not, I was surfing and wanted to share.
User avatar
Iizuki
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:23 am

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:46 am

My very first Kyusu by Jinshu:

jinshu0108b.jpg
jinshu0108b.jpg (42.21 KiB) Viewed 426 times
jinshu0108h.jpg
jinshu0108h.jpg (44.04 KiB) Viewed 426 times
User avatar
debunix
Posts: 1084
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:29 am

Oooh! Nice. How is it in action?
User avatar
Iizuki
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:23 am

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:44 am

First session with some Yakibuta sencha. Overleafed a bit but still came out nice. The lid fits in really well and it's surprisingly easy to pour without any leaks (given the shape). I really like how the flat shape displays the leaves..

Sea of green
Sea of green
IMG_20200808_180103.jpg (330 KiB) Viewed 416 times
User avatar
debunix
Posts: 1084
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:59 am

Iizuki wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:44 am
----I really like how the flat shape displays the leaves.
Indeed! It doesn't shade the leaves like a deeper pot with a narrower pot does.....great to show them off.
User avatar
Darbotek
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:25 pm
Location: East Texas

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:53 pm

Got a Jozan IV pot, I’m calling it the Avocado Pot. I was in a hurry earlier so I didn’t get to spend too much time with it, but it brewed up some fantastic sencha.
E26B0945-C132-41C3-A442-3AC367E0E77C.jpeg
E26B0945-C132-41C3-A442-3AC367E0E77C.jpeg (218.18 KiB) Viewed 265 times
User avatar
pedant
Admin
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:35 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:15 pm

Darbotek wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:53 pm
Got a Jozan IV pot, I’m calling it the Avocado Pot. I was in a hurry earlier so I didn’t get to spend too much time with it, but it brewed up some fantastic sencha.

Image
stunning kyusu. that's a keeper.
User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:24 pm

Yes, @Darbotek beautiful mayake Jozan IV. A treasure 🌞🍃.
Post Reply