Ode to the Kyusu

debunix

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:39 pm

No idea how to judge lead risk of glaze without a chemical test....I have plenty of cups with crackles and other interruptions to their glaze, but they're all from potters I trust to not use any leaded glaze.

Bok

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:22 pm

debunix wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:41 pm
No idea how to judge lead risk of glaze without a chemical test....I have plenty of cups with crackles and other interruptions to their glaze, but they're all from potters I trust to not use any leaded glaze.
Sometimes it is not the intentional use of lead-containing glaze, but the incorrect use of otherwise safe glazes.
lopin

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:49 am

debunix wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi Debunix, I understand what you are saying, I have also some crackled ceramics, my concern with those glazed Banko cups is that 1) the glaze really looks milky compared to the crystal clear like on Novak's (?) you are showing. 2)Holes in there, not sure how this was fired, and 3)if you pour hot water they basically soak it underneath so it creates maps.
I guess I will wait for my trip to states later this year and will buy some lead test swipes to see.

That pot is cute though. I like the smallest one most but this will get proper usage too. Have to compare what tea comes out of it though.