Ode to the Kyusu

Victoria
Admin

Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @phier. Not sure what your question is? The kyusu you linked says it’s 225ml.
Moved your post here as new members need to wait a while before creating new topics, this is to help prevent spammers and duplicate topics. Look forward to your introduction and you might want to review Rules & Etiquette.
phier

Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:17 pm

Victoria wrote:
Welcome to TeaForum phier. Not sure what your question is? The kyusu you linked says it’s 225ml.
Moved your post here as new members need to wait a while before creating new topics, this is to help prevent spammers and duplicate topics. Look forward to your introduction and you might want to review Rules & Etiquette.
Victoria, i already did that, but also someone removed my post > Topic disapproved: "Kyusu size" -> that was correct post, and the post i made here was accidental ... without anything ... is there a chance to restore my other post "Kyusu size"? thanks
Victoria
Admin

Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:21 pm

phier wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:17 pm
Victoria wrote:
Welcome to TeaForum phier. Not sure what your question is? The kyusu you linked says it’s 225ml.
Victoria, i already did that, but also someone removed my post > Topic disapproved: "Kyusu size" -> that was correct post, and the post i made here was accidental ... without anything ... is there a chance to restore my other post "Kyusu size"? thanks
Apologies it looked like a duplicate. It is gone. You can restate here the content of your post.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:49 pm

phier wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:32 pm
well not sure if it goes here... but there were multiple questions...

1) if the kyusu shared on the amazon link worth is money... as there are no reviews; there is ceramic mesh tea-strainer instead of metal basket
2) i was reading some threads here regarding the size ... so still not sure if i have to go for 225 or 300ml for a single person, as i read its good idea to serve (sencha) it into 2 cups ~110ml each. At the moment i use iron-cast teapon 600ml for green/herb teas
3) i am still not clear how many ml of sencha is recco to drink for one person... as ppl mentioned ~110ml cups ... so is it like person drinks 110ml of sencha and thats it... something like coffee - 40ml espresso and thats it ... ?:)

the question above might be odd... but i am completely new into that topic. thanks

Hi @phier. Merged your post since the link was here. The kyusu you shared looks fine. We also have a topic dedicated to Japanese Teaware Vendors you might look at. I enjoy using 250ml kyusu regularly just for myself. Sometimes I don’t fill a kyusu up all the way. There really aren’t any hard rules regarding how much sencha one person should be limited to. I typically enjoy 180-230ml, while others might prefer half that amount. With gyokuro on the other hand portions are more like espresso, since the liquor is much more condensed.
Baisao

Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi @phier- I prefer a medium-sized porcelain or ceramic kyusu, something around 150-200ml. However, I never fill it to the brim. I make about 70-100ml of tea in these as I want the kyusu to cool the water a bit between infusions and a larger pot to tea ratio helps with that. I’ll typically start with 4g of sencha to 70-100ml of 165-185° water. Steep times are approximately: 1:15, 0:15, 0:55, 1:30, 2:00. Temps move from lower temps to higher temps according to steep order. It takes more heat to draw out the flavors of the infusions as sencha is ceremonially intended for 3 steeps but I like to get all that the leaf has to give.

You certainly don’t have to be this precise but it’s what I have found to be the most consistent and authentic tasting. Some people like their sencha weaker. I like it full bodied.

I cannot see the kyusu in the link. Victoria may be able to guide you on kyusu selection. She certainly knows enough about them. I avoid putting tea in contact with bare metal as some metals are reactive and change the flavor (a lot or a wee bit). I good kyusu should not require a basket but will have a clay or ceramic filter on the inside opening of the spout.

I don’t know what your budget is but taisukeshiraiwa has affordable and beautiful handmade kyusu he sells on Instagram. His teacher’s kyusu often sell for over a thousand dollars. Taisuke sells beautiful kyusu at a good value. Unlike other kyusu in the price range, his clays will not detract from the quality of the tea. I’m proud to own several pieces from him and his teacher.

https://instagram.com/taisukeshiraiwa?i ... xjnizj84fa
Victoria
Admin

Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:56 pm

@Baisao interesting are people able to buy directly from Taisuke on Instagram? Wonder if his direct prices are below those over at Thes du Japón. A very talented guy, so special that he was able to study under Konishi Yohei 🍃
Baisao

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:36 am

Victoria wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:56 pm
Baisao interesting are people able to buy directly from Taisuke on Instagram? Wonder if his direct prices are below those over at Thes du Japón. A very talented guy, so special that he was able to study under Konishi Yohei 🍃
I don’t know. I’ve always purchased directly from him on Instagram. I forgot he sells through Thés du Japon. And yes, you can see the influence of Konishi Yohei in some of his kyusu.

Taisuke’s reduction fired pieces contribute a better texture and flavor than the reduction fired pieces of (dare I say it?) some famous potters in Tokoname. They are on par with mumyoi in terms of smoothness.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:06 am

Baisao wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:36 am
Taisuke’s reduction fired pieces contribute a better texture and flavor than the reduction fired pieces of (dare I say it?) some famous potters in Tokoname. They are on par with mumyoi in terms of smoothness.
some very lovely pieces in his feed... always been tempted by his teacher's work.
phier

Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:46 am

Baisao wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:34 pm
Hi phier- I prefer a medium-sized porcelain or ceramic kyusu, something around 150-200ml. However, I never fill it to the brim. I make about 70-100ml of tea in these as I want the kyusu to cool the water a bit between infusions and a larger pot to tea ratio helps with that. I’ll typically start with 4g of sencha to 70-100ml of 165-185° water. Steep times are approximately: 1:15, 0:15, 0:55, 1:30, 2:00. Temps move from lower temps to higher temps according to steep order. It takes more heat to draw out the flavors of the infusions as sencha is ceremonially intended for 3 steeps but I like to get all that the leaf has to give.

You certainly don’t have to be this precise but it’s what I have found to be the most consistent and authentic tasting. Some people like their sencha weaker. I like it full bodied.

I cannot see the kyusu in the link. Victoria may be able to guide you on kyusu selection. She certainly knows enough about them. I avoid putting tea in contact with bare metal as some metals are reactive and change the flavor (a lot or a wee bit). I good kyusu should not require a basket but will have a clay or ceramic filter on the inside opening of the spout.

I don’t know what your budget is but taisukeshiraiwa has affordable and beautiful handmade kyusu he sells on Instagram. His teacher’s kyusu often sell for over a thousand dollars. Taisuke sells beautiful kyusu at a good value. Unlike other kyusu in the price range, his clays will not detract from the quality of the tea. I’m proud to own several pieces from him and his teacher.

https://instagram.com/taisukeshiraiwa?i ... xjnizj84fa
thanks for a great advice, the link was https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... NG9C&psc=1
LeoFox

Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:21 am

I see this one from Amazon linked by phier contains cobalt dye. Is that common practice?
Baisao

Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 am

LeoFox wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:21 am
I see this one from Amazon linked by phier contains cobalt dye. Is that common practice?
That’s troubling. @phier, I would give this pot a pass considering it has a heavy metal added to the clay.

While the cobalt may be locked into the fully vitrified clay, it would take additional (and probably expensive) testing to tell if cobalt is leaching from the clay.

The teapot would otherwise be acceptable, if expensive for a mass produced teapot.
phier

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:33 pm

it will be required to approve each my post?
Victoria
Admin

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:10 pm

phier wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:33 pm
it will be required to approve each my post?
Approval is only necessary for new users, this is to prevent spammers from taking over the site. You’ll be clear to directly post soon.
phier

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:22 pm

can you then advise some nice kyusu from amazo co uk; around 225-250ml? if possible ... thanks
Baisao

Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:14 pm

phier wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:22 pm
can you then advise some nice kyusu from amazo co uk; around 225-250ml? if possible ... thanks
They are offering a sad selection of kyusu. The large kyusu on Amazon are 1) for drinking bancha family style and 2) the type of kyusu you’d find in a Japanese department store.

What is there is mostly too big for sencha for 1-2 people and are of low quality (not to mention aesthetics).

I picked a few teapots from the site that I don’t think are too bad for tea though none match my aesthetic. I would choose porcelain over clay when purchasing at a low price tier. (You didn’t mention price so I assumed you wanted to keep it below 100 pounds).

Note, you may need to disable ad blockers to view these.