Ode to the Kyusu

Fuut
Vendor

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:53 am

Victoria wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:12 pm
That is a really nice pot from Shawn McGuire. How small is it? I haven't seen any like this one on his Etsy page, did you get it several years ago?
Hey Victoria. Its 3" round (without the spout and handle), ±115ml and has a ball type filter. I snatched it somewhere around the start of 2015, Shawn is great when it comes to his etsy page, i could always reserve a bunch of items:)
ShuShu

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Just got this Kohokujo kyusu from Masako Yamada. She has a shop at Tokoname and online at isobe.shop-pro.jp (though it’s all in Japanese). Some folks here are familiar with her (or with Asako Isobe? not sure how they are related)
The size (110ml) was perfect for me and also the shape.
Still thinking about pairing and would be happy for advice. Perhaps simply sencha? Maybe even sheng? Did anyone try that?
C1.jpg
C1.jpg (137.51 KiB) Viewed 8570 times
C2.jpg
C2.jpg (142.47 KiB) Viewed 8570 times
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:59 pm

ShuShu wrote:
Just got this Kohokujo kyusu from Masako Yamada. She has a shop at Tokoname and online at isobe.shop-pro.jp (though it’s all in Japanese). Some folks here are familiar with her (or with Asako Isobe? not sure how they are related)
Still thinking about pairing and would be happy for advice. Perhaps simply sencha? Maybe even sheng? Did anyone try that?

C1.jpg

C2.jpg
Nice pot and shape! I would just give it a round of everything and see what works.
ShuShu

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:59 pm
ShuShu wrote:

C1.jpg

C2.jpg
Nice pot and shape! I would just give it a round of everything and see what works.
Well, since it’s clay is more or less similar to Hokoju is was hoping to hear about your conclusions :)
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Haha! If it is similar to Hokujo then it works well for most teas. At least the ones I drink. So far what I like best in it is High mountain teas. More oxidised and or roasted, as well as Taiwan black tea turns out pretty well too. But not noticeably better as the greener ones are. A bit less enthusiastic about Dancong and Shuixian in it. But as I said on another thread, this kind of pot can replace most other pots if someone forces me to only have one claypot (gladly no one does, so I can enjoy my pot addiction :)
Victoria
Admin

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:12 pm

ShuShu wrote:
Nice low profile is good for cooler teas like gyokuro. This clay works really well with sencha and roasted high mountain. Once you choose a tea I recommend you dedicate it to that one family of teas; the clay is porous so will begin to absorb tea oils pretty fast. The clay Kohokujo (Shimizu Takayuki ) uses is the same as his father’s (Shimizu Genji), they work in the same studio, Hokujo kiln. I communicate with Asako Isobe via FB Messenger and sometimes look are her pieces on her web site, isobe.shop-pro.jp. Don’t know what /who Masako Yamada is? Or is that her shop in Aichi?
Victoria
Admin

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Victoria wrote:
ShuShu wrote:
Nice low profile is good for cooler teas like gyokuro. This clay works really well with sencha and roasted high mountain. Once you choose a tea I recommend you dedicate it to that one family of teas; the clay is porous so will begin to absorb tea oils pretty fast. The clay Kohokujo (Shimizu Takayuki ) uses is the same as his father’s (Shimizu Genji), they work in the same studio, Hokujo kiln. I communicate with Asako Isobe via FB Messenger and sometimes look are her pieces on her web site, isobe.shop-pro.jp. Don’t know what /who Masako Yamada is? Or is that her shop in Aichi?
Got clarification on who Masako Yamada is, from Asako Isobe;
“ The president of our company is my husband.
Masako Yamada is my husband's older sister.
So my sister-in-law.
She is in charge of SNS”
ShuShu

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Victoria wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:12 pm
Victoria wrote:
ShuShu wrote:
Got clarification on who Masako Yamada is, from Asako Isobe;
“ The president of our company is my husband.
Masako Yamada is my husband's older sister.
So my sister-in-law.
She is in charge of SNS”
Thanks! She was really nice and helpful. And the one who responded when I directly contacted the store.
Although their online site only shows Kyusus, I understand that they also sell other kinds of tea/table ware (like cups and plates)? Do you know if they are also supposed to be online? (Hard to navigate the Japanese)
debunix

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:50 am

New kyusu by Yamada Sou, from Artistic Nippon

Jo
Mrs. Chip

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:24 pm

debunix wrote:

Debunix, very lovely pot, beautiful.

Our Yamaha Sou blues are my favorites of all our kyusu.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:13 am

debunix wrote:

Beautiful thing! With what kind of teas do this kind of pots perform well? I have been wondering, what kind of material those are, is it clay or porcelain, or a mix?
debunix

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:07 am

I don't know that the clay has a name: it is pale, almost like a porcelain, but with fairly large and variably colored inclusions--not a smooth porcelain for sure. So far it is LOVELY with sencha but that is all I've used it with. I intend a test with some Fou Shou Shan or other light oolong in the near term, but I bought it with the lighter teas in mind, for times when I have my Petr Novak kyusu filled with a last long infusion, and want more of the same....and because I love the flat shape and many leveled lid and the stunning blue streaked with gray.

More to come when I wrestle my iPhoto library problem into submission. I've got a lot of detail shots from a morning in the garden and then pairing with the blue guinomi/yunomi inside to share.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm

I've been wanting a slightly larger shiboridashi that has lots of wabi-sabi to compliment my Taisuke Shiraiwa pieces. Got this 150ml Shigaraki-ware shibo with Youhen kiln burns. Has a really nice feel to it, much rougher and thicker than Taisuke's elegant work, lots of wabi-sabi for sure. It does sweat though, quite a bit. I left water in it overnight, and noticed around 20ml had oozed out into the surrounding bowl. No cracks, just porous clay. The moisture on the outside of the shibo is pleasant to touch though. Anyone have pieces that sweat a lot? Thoughts on sweating pots? Guess I won't be using it for extended long steeps :)

Shigaraki-ware Youhen burn L1010178.jpg
Shigaraki-ware Youhen burn L1010178.jpg (514.23 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
For scale, that's a 6" lemon
Shigaraki-ware Youhen burn IMG_4986.jpg
Shigaraki-ware Youhen burn IMG_4986.jpg (583.86 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
3 generations of Yamada to the left & back; Minoru, Emu & Sou Yamada. Taisuke Shiraiwa cup & yuzamashi to the right.
debunix

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:11 am

I've lost my 'sweatiest' piece to breakage, not surprising as it was a very thin-walled porous Hagi yunomi. No other pieces that really 'sweat' like that.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:17 pm

debunix wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:11 am
I've lost my 'sweatiest' piece to breakage, not surprising as it was a very thin-walled porous Hagi yunomi. No other pieces that really 'sweat' like that.
So with gyokuro leaves in the shibo it sweats much less, even with liquid and leaves left in for several hours. Interesting.

8970DA2D-E99D-4103-9D3A-878563D78F4A.jpeg
8970DA2D-E99D-4103-9D3A-878563D78F4A.jpeg (262.05 KiB) Viewed 8063 times