Ode to the Kyusu

WhisperingFrog192

Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:57 am

Baisao wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 am
Now I’m kind of curious about the red glaze they use on these mass produced kyusu. There has to be some mid-century history there.
I thiiinkkk...? it's slip rather than true glaze, but I'm not an expert on it.
Baisao

Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:31 am

WhisperingFrog192 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:57 am
I thiiinkkk...? it's slip rather than true glaze, but I'm not an expert on it.
That example could be, I suppose. The ones I’ve handled have spatter marks in places that indicate a glaze was sprayed on.

My guess is that as hon shudei became scarce the potters were left with two options— glazed/slipped orange or oxide enriched clay. The former was probably a more expedient and scalable solution to meet the demand for vermillion-colored kyusu. If glazed, it also would also be somewhat neutral to tastes and easier for the homemaker to clean.

It reminds me of how Teflon skillets replaced seasoned cast iron skillets. One is easier to care for and mass produce than the other, and few people cared enough to invest in the higher-priced legacy product.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:22 am

Not to forget that a lot of Kyusu on sale in Japan are actually made in China.
chillian12

Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:38 am

My first post, couldn't sleep so I decided to brew some gyokuro in my kyusu! I've been drinking Japanese greens for 1-2 years now (started during covid in 2021), but haven't had any new acquisitions in the past year or so until recently - got this from tokonameorjp, was a bit of an impulse buy!
Shudei Kyusu.JPG
Shudei Kyusu.JPG (137.52 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
Last edited by chillian12 on Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baisao

Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:01 pm

chillian12 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:38 am
My first post, couldn't sleep so I decided to brew some gyokuro in my kyusu! I've been drinking Japanese greens for 1-2 years now (started during covid in 2020), but haven't had any new acquisitions in the past year or so until recently - got this from tokonameorjp, was a bit of an impulse buy!

It has a nice shape. I've always liked the look of seaweed on kyusu.
chillian12

Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:24 pm

Baisao wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:01 pm
It has a nice shape. I've always liked the look of seaweed on kyusu.
That was one of the reasons why I got it, the shape is more an ode to Chinese tea ware (though I’m not sure the exact inspiration if any). Since historically Tokoname potters seemed to have taken inspiration from the Chinese way back, this felt like a fusion of both a Chinese teapot made by a Japanese with some tweaks.

Well all this is just rambling to further justify me spending money on another teapot :)
Last edited by Victoria on Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ferg

Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:52 pm

Nice pickup @chillian12! I too like the look of burned mogake against red of shudei. A Hokujo by the look of it.

Will you dedicate to gyokuro or cross brew with sencha? From what I recall, there are those in community who like his clay’s effect on Taiwanese oolongs in particular. If his work, perhaps they can offer more advice on tea pairing.
chillian12

Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:53 am

ferg wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:52 pm
Nice pickup @chillian12! I too like the look of burned mogake against red of shudei. A Hokujo by the look of it.

Will you dedicate to gyokuro or cross brew with sencha? From what I recall, there are those in community who like his clay’s effect on Taiwanese oolongs in particular. If his work, perhaps they can offer more advice on tea pairing.
Wow Ferg, that was sharp of you! What gave it away that it was a Hokujo? The spout or the body?

I’ve got another Kyusu for Taiwanese and lighter Chinese oolongs, a Kohokujo but it’s their standard ‘Yakishime’ style which I heard they are known for.

Probably will use this mainly for Japanese gyokuros since I have another kyusu mainly for senchas. I haven’t really noticed a huge difference between using the Kohokujo and other Tokoname kyusus. I haven’t done a blind side-by-side comparison yet, maybe I should try?

If I’m being honest, sometimes I’m lazy and just grab whichever teapot that’s nearest (usually one that was left out to dry the previous day) and brew! A bit sacrilegious for some, but I try rinse it with boiling water a couple of times after. Hope I didn’t offend too many people with that admission ;)
ferg

Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:55 pm

@chillian12 ha, I’ve looked at one too many kyusu I think. :lol:

Partly body as I know Hokujo has been producing this back handle style as of late, and this particular no dip spout seems to only be done on these higher end pots. Also each artist tends to have unique mogake markings from one another.

I admit I am more of a purist, Japanese tea in Japanese pot, so I’m with you on dedicating to gyo. I think small size or flatter kyusu lends well to this tea type, just my opinion.

And appreciate your candor. I think most are more lazy than they care to admit. ;) No hard rules on cross brew as long as you stick to general, related categories. And one boiled brew should do it!
chillian12

Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:39 am

ferg wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:55 pm
chillian12 ha, I’ve looked at one too many kyusu I think. :lol:

Partly body as I know Hokujo has been producing this back handle style as of late, and this particular no dip spout seems to only be done on these higher end pots. Also each artist tends to have unique mogake markings from one another.

I admit I am more of a purist, Japanese tea in Japanese pot, so I’m with you on dedicating to gyo. I think small size or flatter kyusu lends well to this tea type, just my opinion.

And appreciate your candor. I think most are more lazy than they care to admit. ;) No hard rules on cross brew as long as you stick to general, related categories. And one boiled brew should do it!
Interesting, regarding flatter pots the only artist that comes to mind is Jinshu with his flatter-style kyusus. Are there any others I should be aware of? Unless you mean shiboridashis, which I haven't really gotten to yet because I'm not a gaiwan-style person when it comes to brewing, I prefer a nice handle.

Usually the pots I tend to use (regardless of tea type) are around 100ml or smaller in volume - although for senchas I might use the more 'traditional' size of around 200-240ml. Largely because I end up being the only one in my household to regularly drinks tea, so steeping it in smaller volumes multiple times with slightly lesser leaf (around 3-4g) tends to work better for me.
ferg

Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:23 am

@chillian12 Since you seem partial to Hokujo and son Kohokujo, in bottom batch of teapots below, see two teapots at right. While not flat, these are more ovular shaped, with wider lids and in your size preference.
http://www.tokoname.or.jp/teapot/maker_profile/hokujo/

Now here is a very flat Kohokujo, unfortunately sold out.
https://tokoname-isobe.com/items/62dcf0 ... 1ea1f35f01

There are many other examples, by many other artists if you look around enough. But this may be a good start.

I may have a flatter shape kyusu by another maker soon en route. I will share.
chillian12

Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:55 am

ferg wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:23 am
@chillian12 Since you seem partial to Hokujo and son Kohokujo, in bottom batch of teapots below, see two teapots at right. While not flat, these are more ovular shaped, with wider lids and in your size preference.
http://www.tokoname.or.jp/teapot/maker_profile/hokujo/

Now here is a very flat Kohokujo, unfortunately sold out.
https://tokoname-isobe.com/items/62dcf0 ... 1ea1f35f01

There are many other examples, by many other artists if you look around enough. But this may be a good start.

I may have a flatter shape kyusu by another maker soon en route. I will share.
I see what you mean by flatter kyusu now. In your opinion what makes this type of teapot better for gyokuro? Would it mean that there's more lateral area for the leaf to unfurl?

And you're right, I do like Hokujo and his son's works, it appeals to me. Although I do have other shudei kyusu made by Gisui and Fugetsu as well, and those are great teapots which I use for sencha since they seem to prefer making larger kyusus.

I look forward to seeing your incoming kyusu, please do share pictures of it here when it arrives!
wave_code

Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:51 am

nice pot @chillian12 - I feel like I always see that mogake effect on grey or light colored clays and it never really worked for me - but over a deep red clay like I think it looks fantastic.

Speaking of Hokujo and son... They are making their own clay blend, correct? Are they both using the same clays or are they each developing their own? I've been curious to try it and both of them seem to make really nice pots. Though Kohokujo's are usually more readily available and of course at a bit more friendly of a price...
chillian12

Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:52 am

wave_code wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:51 am
nice pot chillian12 - I feel like I always see that mogake effect on grey or light colored clays and it never really worked for me - but over a deep red clay like I think it looks fantastic.

Speaking of Hokujo and son... They are making their own clay blend, correct? Are they both using the same clays or are they each developing their own? I've been curious to try it and both of them seem to make really nice pots. Though Kohokujo's are usually more readily available and of course at a bit more friendly of a price...
Glad you like the design as well wave_code!

On your question regarding their clay blend, I'm not sure if it's a particularly special blend or the characteristics of the clay. What I'm pretty sure about is that they use the same clay and have similar firing methods, especially for their more affordable unglazed (Yakishime) pots. Not too sure about the red clay that Hokujo is using for the higher-end teapots though.

The kyusus are a bit more brown-red, almost dark brown on some portions of the kyusu. It has this slightly rough texture which is unique. I have another Hokujo Yakishime kyusu, and comparing them, the clay is more or less similar.

The main difference would be more stylistic - the spout is slightly different, and the lids as well, and overall I'd say Hokujo's designs are more refined and elegant especially when it comes to the small things (like the spout and the pour). To some extent the walls of the Hokujo kyusu feel a bit thinner, which is to be expected since he has more experience.

This is not to say the younger's pots are any less good or pour any worse, Kohokujo has probably made thousands of pots and is a great potter - in fact when I've shown both Hokujo and Kohokujo pots to non-tea drinkers, they generally prefer the younger's works which look more modern and contemporary. If you have the budget, I'd say get a Kohokujo to try out their clay.
Baisao

Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:02 pm

I’m enjoying some hon yama “wulong,” Kôju cultivar from Thés du Japon in this antique shudei kyusu. The script inscription is so delicate, like it was carved with an eyelash.

It has the typical characteristics of hon shudei: a bright, almost tickling texture on the palate.

I can’t say that it is better or worse than modern shudei. Each clay has merits and varies from individual teapot to teapot.

This specific example is a pleasure to use.
Attachments
7C035B54-0104-4485-A875-1FF35772027B.jpeg
7C035B54-0104-4485-A875-1FF35772027B.jpeg (76.9 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
B6074E25-EB1E-496B-8BC3-7D5F2E4B3F34.jpeg
B6074E25-EB1E-496B-8BC3-7D5F2E4B3F34.jpeg (70.41 KiB) Viewed 4452 times