Ode to the Kyusu

Teachronicles

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 pm

It has arrived

The packet behind it is a bit of Japanese oolong asako included in the order.

Edit: you can see from the top pic the spout is at a slight angle, which I think chip noted in 12 days of kyusu of gafu's pots. And it curves slightly downward at the end of the spout.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:40 pm

I have several pots with slightly diagonal spout ends, most pronounced in Seto-ware pots. For ease of pour, but for right handed people. I’m left handed but even so it doesn’t affect pour in a negative way. How does inside of pot look?
I’m Very interested to hear about the Japanese oolong after your are ready to try it.
Teachronicles

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:28 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:40 pm
I have several pots with slightly diagonal spout ends, most pronounced in Seto-ware pots. For ease of pour, but for right handed people. I’m left handed but even so it doesn’t affect pour in a negative way. How does inside of pot look?
I’m Very interested to hear about the Japanese oolong after your are ready to try it.
I'll get around to trying it soon. The pot has a quite strong, hmm, idk if it's chemical smell to it, I can't quite pin it. Anyways, I'm hoping its due to the shipping materials and that it will go away. And I havent tested whether it affects the brew yet. Will run first test tmrw likely, maybe later tonight.
Teachronicles

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Ok, as I put away the paper bag of my takeout food, and got a whiff of it, I pinned the smell that was inside the pot. I think it's from the paper it was wrapped in or the cardboard box it was in.
Teachronicles

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:43 pm

In the ongoing pot smell saga, I'm pretty sure now that the smell is like a salt brine and I'm thinking maybe it was pre-seasoned with salty sencha or something similar. Anyways, I gave it a baking soda-water scrub, some boiling rinses and am gna leave some baking soda in it to hopefully absorb some of the smell. Then probably some more boiling rinses.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
In the ongoing pot smell saga, I'm pretty sure now that the smell is like a salt brine and I'm thinking maybe it was pre-seasoned with salty sencha or something similar. Anyways, I gave it a baking soda-water scrub, some boiling rinses and am gna leave some baking soda in it to hopefully absorb some of the smell. Then probably some more boiling rinses.
After using baking soda it is good to soak with a solution of vinegar and water (gets rid of baking soda taste, balances PH) , after that rinse with very hot water a few times. After letting pot dry and air out completely, leave boiling water in pot to cool, and see how it tastes. My 2 cents.
Teachronicles

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:01 pm

Victoria wrote:
Teachronicles wrote:
After using baking soda it is good to soak with a solution of vinegar and water (gets rid of baking soda taste, balances PH) , after that rinse with very hot water a few times. After letting pot dry and air out completely, leave boiling water in pot to cool, and see how it tastes. My 2 cents.
How many parts vinegar to water approximately? And for how long?
Victoria
Admin

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:01 pm
Victoria wrote:
Teachronicles wrote:
How many parts vinegar to water approximately? And for how long?
I just eyeball it, like 50/50 white vinegar/water, soak for 10-15 minutes+~. The vinegar smell evaporates as pot dries out. In the past, when I cleaned with baking soda and forgot to then rinse with vinegar, tea came out horrible :shock: . If I just scrub a little area with baking soda on porcelain, then simply rinsing with vinegar water is enough to flush out any remaining baking soda.
Chip
Admin

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:47 pm

Water over the dam, but none of that should be necessary. I prefer patience and restraint.

Just letting it out and open a few days to breath ... and some hot water rinses. Maybe a few tea soaks. Or filling the pot with dry tea leaves.

It would be very unusual for any seasoning to have taken place by the potter or seller. Never ever heard of that in the realm of kyusu.

The Gafu looks like a reduction fired pear skin or nanban maybe. Gafu does both.

You all are braver than I am. I could never do the baking soda and/or vinegar treatments to my unglazed clay (or Hagi for that matter).

I just decided to reset 2 kyusu, my older Hokujo mogake and the heavily stained Junzo Kobiwako that I posted in 12 Days.

I just did the Junzo interior, a patient, careful cleaning with a soft bristle toothbrush and hot water. I will redo it, but I think it will be a better kyusu than it had become.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 pm

Yes agreed @Chip if you don’t need to go through extra steps patience is best. Although, until you’ve had to cross that river you won’t know the other side. Some unglazed pots really do smell, and that smell can be persistent -if they were stored in humid conditions, or in materials that degraded over time, if they were used and never properly cleaned... I tried patiently for too many years waiting for smells and off flavors to go away with air, sunlight, hot water baths, and then through trial and error found other faster incremental non-toxic methods. Some I outlined in Awakening & Resetting Unglazed Ceramics/ Yixing from Discoloration, Staining & Mold.
debunix

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:11 am

The vinegar smell evaporates as pot dries out. In the past, when I cleaned with baking soda and forgot to then rinse with vinegar, tea came out horrible :shock: . If I just scrub a little area with baking soda on porcelain, then simply rinsing with vinegar water is enough to flush out any remaining baking soda.
That's a good reminder.....I rub my teawares with a baking soda paste to clean them, especially the unglazed pieces, because I feel baking soda is less likely to leave problematic flavors and scents than any soaps, but for a few pieces with crawling, cracking, loose glazes and lots of deep crevices, a vinegar rinse would also be a good idea.

Wiping with hot water and cloth alone, or gentle brushes, leaves an unsightly pattern in cups like this, but the baking soda paste does wonders

swordofmytriumph

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:25 am

Ooh beautiful hagi, @debunix! 😍 who made it?
debunix

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:39 am

Mukuhara Kashun, purchased from Artistic Nippon. I only see small cups on the site by him now, like these. I check that site several times a week for new items, and I rarely see this larger size cup there. You might write to Toru and ask about similar cups. I've got a pair about 4 inches in diameter and they hold about 250mL/8oz apiece.

And just looking at that cup right now, as I was measuring the volume, I realized it needs another session with a toothbrush and baking soda....
Chip
Admin

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:22 pm

Victoria wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 pm
Yes agreed Chip if you don’t need to go through extra steps patience is best. Although, until you’ve had to cross that river you won’t know the other side. Some unglazed pots really do smell, and that smell can be persistent -if they were stored in humid conditions, or in materials that degraded over time, if they were used and never properly cleaned... I tried patiently for too many years waiting for smells and off flavors to go away with air, sunlight, hot water baths, and then through trial and error found other faster incremental non-toxic methods. Some I outlined in Awakening & Resetting Unglazed Ceramics/ Yixing from Discoloration, Staining & Mold.
I should clarify, I was speaking specifically regarding the new Gafu odors.

Cases can be made for more aggressive measures based partly on personal taste and personal ... comfort levels.

The purchase of a previously owned, very poorly, or very heavily used kyusu or whatever the case may be ... that may understandably require more aggressive measures. Nobody really wants a previous owners stains and odors ... funkiness!

"... until you’ve had to cross that river you won’t know the other side.". (Victoria, I think that quote and variations thereof is going to be a part of my repatoir for a while :mrgreen: )

I have had to cross this river. And I understand the motivation.

But in the case of a new kyusu, I definitely recommend time and restraint.
swordofmytriumph

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:11 pm

debunix wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:39 am
Mukuhara Kashun, purchased from Artistic Nippon. I only see small cups on the site by him now, like these. I check that site several times a week for new items, and I rarely see this larger size cup there. You might write to Toru and ask about similar cups. I've got a pair about 4 inches in diameter and they hold about 250mL/8oz apiece.

And just looking at that cup right now, as I was measuring the volume, I realized it needs another session with a toothbrush and baking soda....
Lol I have such a teaware itch, must not scratch! I got my first hagi last month, and I’m hooked. Such a beautiful art form. It’s already starting to develop lovely crackle patterns.

You mention toothbrush and baking soda. Do you prefer not to have crackle patterns?