Ode to the Kyusu

Victoria
Admin

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:40 pm
swordofmytriumph you can accelerate the pour by slightly lifting the lid with one finger while pouring. Attention you might need to practice that a bit, if you haven’t done it before.
A good suggestion. Also, can you show us the filter inside the pot?
swordofmytriumph

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:00 am

Thanks @Bok.

Here’s the filter.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (133.03 KiB) Viewed 6486 times
Teachronicles

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:19 am

With the 12 days of kyusu, and all the activity on here, I caved and got a couple kyusu.

This back handle gafu ito from asako at tokoname isobe:

And a side handle and hohin kobiwako from hojo, which I'll post pictures of when they arrive.
swordofmytriumph

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:27 am

Ooh so pretty! I like the shape!

@@Bok, I tried lifting the lid a bit but it didn’t change the pour time any. Am I supposed to be pouring tea only through the spout or letting some out of the top of the pot? If th latter, wouldn’t that stain the pot?

Also, I just tried it with black tea and dark roast oolong, didn’t like what it did to either.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:40 am

Teachronicles wrote:
With the 12 days of kyusu, and all the activity on here, I caved and got a couple kyusu.

And a side handle and hohin kobiwako from hojo, which I'll post pictures of when they arrive.
Haha, a couple tis... 3. Nice choices, and so glad you got one from Asako, that Gafu is really nice.
Teachronicles

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:46 am

Victoria wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:40 am
Teachronicles wrote:

Haha, a couple tis... 3. Nice choices, and so glad you got one from Asako, that Gafu is really nice.
😅. I really enjoy the shape of the gafu and its my ideal size, 110ml (ideal is 100, but close enough). I wanted to try out one of his pots after seeing chip and jo's post about theirs in 12 days. And also, thank you @Victoria for introducing me to asako, it is much appreciated.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:50 am

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:00 am
Here’s the filter.
Filter looks very good. Before you put lid on, make sure air hole is clean on lid and free of any air bubble. You can blow in it before putting on, or use other similar techniques to clear the vent. Also, Bok’s recommendation to lift lid slightly when pouring will help with flow, just make sure to lift end away from spout, so tea only comes out of spout.
swordofmytriumph

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 am

So I checked, the air hole seems unobstructed. I'll try messing with the lid. I was lifting the lid in the front before...
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:54 am

I have been admiring Gafu Itos work on IG for a while now... some of his pots have a very Chinese look to them, only betrayed by the texture of his clay. The look pushed to perfection in every tiny detail.

Anyone tried them with non-Japanese teas?
steanze
Vendor

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:31 pm

@swordofmytriumph the suggestion by @Bok to slightly raise the lid is very helpful when the air hole in the lid is too small. If the air hole is already quite large, it might not increase pour speed as much.
swordofmytriumph

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 pm

So I just tried again, this time actually lifting it on the correct spot. :) it did reduce the pour time by a couple seconds. I tried reducing my steeping temp to 200F vs boiling. That combined with the trick @Bok suggested fixed the problem! Thanks everybody. The Mumyoi pot has found its new home with sheng puerh! I haven’t always loved puerh because I’m sensitive to bitter, but this pot really boosts the sweet so I can taste all the other flavors of the tea beyond just the bitter. Also, it make the tea coat my mouth... so tasty. Lol I’m already planning on buying more puerh (which I had almost given up on before).
OCTO

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:15 pm

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 pm
So I just tried again, this time actually lifting it on the correct spot. :) it did reduce the pour time by a couple seconds. I tried reducing my steeping temp to 200F vs boiling. That combined with the trick Bok suggested fixed the problem! Thanks everybody. The Mumyoi pot has found its new home with sheng puerh! I haven’t always loved puerh because I’m sensitive to bitter, but this pot really boosts the sweet so I can taste all the other flavors of the tea beyond just the bitter. Also, it make the tea coat my mouth... so tasty. Lol I’m already planning on buying more puerh (which I had almost given up on before).
Aahhhh.... been busy. Just managed to catch up with the posts. This thread is burning up!! Hahahahaha.....

@swordofmytriumph you are right to match Sheng Puerh with Mumyoi. Mine is also paired in the same pairing. Have you tried it with aged Sheng?

Cheers!!
swordofmytriumph

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:47 pm

I haven’t tried it with aged sheng...I don’t actually have any. All my stuff is newer. I actually don’t have very much. I have four cakes. :lol: Three from crimson lotus, and another I got from another local shop. The oldest I’ve got is 2015.
OCTO

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:26 pm

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:47 pm
I haven’t tried it with aged sheng...I don’t actually have any. All my stuff is newer. I actually don’t have very much. I have four cakes. :lol: Three from crimson lotus, and another I got from another local shop. The oldest I’ve got is 2015.
Now you've got a valid excuse to get a aged sheng.... :D
swordofmytriumph

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:37 am

Mwahahaha. My wallet is quaking in fear. :lol:

Too bad I didn’t try that pot before making an order from bitterleaf. I bought one of their gaiwans (the mini one) and only added on a couple samples. Lol. One of my fave tea shops carries lots of puerh. It seems another visit is in order. And hey! It’s my weekend! Guess I know what I’ll be doing today... and another shop in the area I’ve neglected for a while as well carries mainly puerh.