Kobiwako.... Kofeewhacko??

OCTO

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:44 pm

Here's a challenging thought to challenge you imagination ....

Everyone knows Kobiwako's ability to bring out the sweetness in Japanese greens and also Taiwanese greens. But in the itch to explore and to think beyond the norm, I explored drinking my breakfast black coffee with Kobiwako cups.

Outcome: It's awesome!! hahahaha... I've also exchanged some notes with Hojo employees and they also agreed with the outcome I achieved. I have finished 13 bags of beans and halfway through 2 more... each bags are 125g. The outcome is consistent. You can taste better layering of aroma and taste. It doesn't make it sweeter, but it brings out the complexity of the brew and highlights and brings more focus to each layers. Very interesting!!

Brew Method: French Press and PourOver (V60 and Kalita)

Feeling adventurous??? Anyone wants to try??.... Let's share notes. Hahahaha......

Cheers!!

IMG_6347.jpg
IMG_6347.jpg (216.13 KiB) Viewed 4188 times
IMG_3830.jpg
IMG_3830.jpg (322.51 KiB) Viewed 4188 times
Balthazar

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:44 am

I commend your adventurous spirit :D. That's something I wouldn't have thought of trying in a few lifetimes.

Your post also reminded me that I've been wanting to get a Kobiwako clay pot for some time, and now I have a case of acute TAD to battle..
OCTO

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:33 am

Balthazar wrote: โ†‘
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:44 am
I commend your adventurous spirit :D. That's something I wouldn't have thought of trying in a few lifetimes.

Your post also reminded me that I've been wanting to get a Kobiwako clay pot for some time, and now I have a case of acute TAD to battle..
@Balthazar

You should get a Kobiwako... you won't regret it. None that have gotten them have ever regretted it. Tell you what.... you may end up getting more... hahahahaha...... Kobiwako with DanCong and GuShu is **ahem** ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜..... I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.... hahahahaha.....

Cheers!
Balthazar

Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:44 am

I gave away two (modern) yixing pots last week, to justify the purchase of two pots.

There's a fierce debate in my mind's committee right now, but I think the wiser members will come out on top this time around. They'll be allowed to use violence if necessary to keep the more impulsive members in check :mrgreen:
OCTO

Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:11 am

Balthazar wrote: โ†‘
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:44 am
I gave away two (modern) yixing pots last week, to justify the purchase of two pots.

There's a fierce debate in my mind's committee right now, but I think the wiser members will come out on top this time around. They'll be allowed to use violence if necessary to keep the more impulsive members in check :mrgreen:
Hahahaha..... That's a constant battle we are all too familiar with..... March ON!!
wave_code

Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:17 am

how is the heat retention of Kobiwako? makes me wonder what it would do for shu or liu bao. while I guess most japanese pots won't be built with heat in mind the clays are just so gorgeous. as you have done though maybe big cups are a good place to start.
OCTO

Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:40 am

wave_code wrote: โ†‘
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:17 am
how is the heat retention of Kobiwako? makes me wonder what it would do for shu or liu bao. while I guess most japanese pots won't be built with heat in mind the clays are just so gorgeous. as you have done though maybe big cups are a good place to start.
@wave_code

As you have guessed correctly, Kobiwako is more suitable for teas on the greener side. I would recommend that you try Mumyoi Clay from Sado Island. Brews up a storm with LiuBao and aged sheng. Works well with aged shou too but I had better outcome with other clay.

Cheers!
Bok
Vendor

Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:42 am

What we can see here is: never ask @OCTO a question, all you get is awareness of more things you did not know you wanted. :)
OCTO

Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:47 am

Bok wrote: โ†‘
What we can see here is: never ask OCTO a question, all you get is awareness of more things you did not know you wanted. :)
LOL!! ROTFL!! Like I've always and consistently said..... Good things must share. Knowledge must be translated into action.... ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Cheers!!
wave_code

Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:00 am

well in this particular case I've been curious about Japanese clays for fermented Chinese teas for a while, so first hand reports from someone else are more than welcome. granted there is always some potential wallet damage involved with any advice on this forum, but prices on modern Japanese pots when you compare to vintage Yixing... suddenly things don't look so bad. though maybe the suggestion that it would be a futile pursuit would be better :D
Balthazar

Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:02 am

What we can see here is: never ask OCTO a question, all you get is awareness of more things you did not know you wanted. :)
After reading your post I couldn't resist making one of these (cringeworthy or not)

Seriously though, I continue to be impressed by@OCTO's breadth of exposure to and experimentation with different types of clay. :)
OCTO

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:12 am

@Balthazar

LOL!!!.... It's an adventure... I'm still learning....

Cheers!!
wave_code

Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:34 am

did those cups come from Hojo?

I stopped drinking coffee completely a few years ago, but if one wants to apply tea type obsession to it and using unglazed clays... would you dedicate specific cups to specific types of beans then? :shock: trouble... :?
OCTO

Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:34 am

wave_code wrote: โ†‘
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:34 am
did those cups come from Hojo?

I stopped drinking coffee completely a few years ago, but if one wants to apply tea type obsession to it and using unglazed clays... would you dedicate specific cups to specific types of beans then? :shock: trouble... :?
@wave_code

Iโ€™m a casual coffee drinker that appreciates a decent cup of coffee. Thank heavens Iโ€™m not as inquisitive in my coffee as compared to my tea. So itโ€™s only one cup for all my coffee indulgence. The other is for my wife.

Yes, the cups came from Hojo.

Cheers!!
klepto

Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:56 am

Gah, OCTO gives me that every time he posts. Can we vote him off the island so I don't feel ashamed when I look at my teaware :D

Shame or FOMO, BOTH! :oops: