Researching a new Kyusu

Noonie

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:34 am

With so much time at home, I want to spend some time researching and deciding on a new kyusu.

I’m looking for resources on type of clay and shape that would enhance the flavour of the tea, while being an easy to handle pot.

This would be for Sencha, light and medium streamed.

I only several pots already. One is about 120ml and it’s so far the best in terms of handling and taste. Another one I have is harder to handle as the knob (name?) on the kid is a poor shape for my hands and I always feel like I’m going to drop it.

I’m familiar with the sites that sell these and in the past have spent hours looking, but never pulling the trigger. What I’ve bought so far are from Camellia Sinensis and I was visiting in Montreal and could try them before deciding.

A couole factors:
- brewing for one, so 100-120ml
- around Cdn$100 (I know, probably need to spend more)
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:25 am

I’d have a look at either Hokujo, Kobiwako or a normal Shudei clay. All will be outside of your budget probably, but I think they’re well worth spending that extra 100.

All of these also have some back handle designs available, which might solve your previous pots problems.

Mind posting an image of the Kyusu you are talking about?
faj

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:37 am

Noonie wrote:
This would be for Sencha, light and medium streamed.
Please allow me to share my experience, but please keep in mind I am not giving advice or making recommendations, as I am really not experienced enough for that.

I have a few pots, and intend to grow that collection. I have found different teapots complement each tea with various degrees of success, even within a narrow category. I do not have enough experience to confidently recommend teapots for even narrow categories. I am basically a newbie, but I can, however, say I was surprised at how much impact the teapot has on the result.

If you were to ask me to chose only one pot from my still small collection, I would really have a hard time doing that, even limiting myself to sencha.
Noonie wrote:
- around Cdn$100 (I know, probably need to spend more)
Since you already know, we will not have to tell you... :mrgreen:

I do not have enough experience to say that more expensive means better. What I can say, however, is that among my purchases, I see a wide range of effects on tea, and I do see value now in having different pots. Spending more for some pots might be unavoidable to widen the range of a collection.

I have, for now, abandoned the idea of the "one best pot", and feel like I will have to spend a bit more than reasonable per item on average, and get many of them for exploration purposes. Maybe it is because I have just enough experience to taste a difference, but not enough experience to narrow down to the essentials and use each pot to its fullest potential.
Noonie

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:28 am

Bok wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:25 am
I’d have a look at either Hokujo, Kobiwako or a normal Shudei clay. All will be outside of your budget probably, but I think they’re well worth spending that extra 100.

All of these also have some back handle designs available, which might solve your previous pots problems.

Mind posting an image of the Kyusu you are talking about?
I haven’t been able to successfully attach a photo in these forums. But the one I’m referring to is this one:

https://camellia-sinensis.com/en/kyusu- ... -hebi/6372
pedant
Admin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:50 am

Noonie wrote:
I haven’t been able to successfully attach a photo in these forums.
not sure if it will help, but: viewtopic.php?p=4472#p4472
Noonie

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:58 am

pedant wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:50 am
Noonie wrote:
I haven’t been able to successfully attach a photo in these forums.
not sure if it will help, but: viewtopic.php?p=4472#p4472
Thanks...I recall reading that thread a while back. Basically, I'm using only my iphone to both take the photo and try and upload here. If someone can give me a quick answer as to whether it works or not, I'll explore further (if it should work).
Iizuki

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:29 pm

Did you settle on something @Noonie? I'm having similar Kyusu plans and would greatly appreciate some good resources.
Noonie

Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:09 pm

Iizuki wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:29 pm
Did you settle on something Noonie? I'm having similar Kyusu plans and would greatly appreciate some good resources.
Not yet @Iizuki. Funny I had one in my cart the other day from a japanese tea and teaware vendor from west coast of Canada but didn't pull the trigger. I just had a sencha in the one pot I have and use frequently...it was fine, can't see a new one blowing me away. I've been re-directing those funds to tea!
Iizuki

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:02 am

Alright then, keep us posted if you find anything.
I've been re-directing those funds to tea!
That's rarely a bad call :D