Looking for Yuzamashi info

LuckyMe

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:01 am

I own a couple of yuzamashi but use them as pitchers, not for cooling water. The built in thermometer on my kettle eliminates the need. With Japanese greens being so temperamental, I would rather use precise temperature than trying to wing it.
Darbotek

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:17 pm

Baisao wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:25 pm
Darbotek wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:39 pm
I think I can say this here without too much ridicule...
That’s something I’m happy to say we do not do here.

Welcome to the forum! (:
Thank you!
nasalfrog

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:52 am

I have a couple of yuzamashi. Actually one of them is just the bottom part of a Hokujo shiboridashi, but it works well to cool water when I need it for that task with my Kohokujo pot.

Kyusu and yuzamashi by Yamada Yutaro
Kyusu and yuzamashi by Yamada Yutaro
IMG_0707.JPG (470.82 KiB) Viewed 2119 times

Kyusu by Kohokujo & shiboridashi by Hokujo
Kyusu by Kohokujo & shiboridashi by Hokujo
IMG_0706.JPG (482.65 KiB) Viewed 2119 times

I do not have a temperature control kettle, so for the last 3 years or so I was measuring the temperature of my water for each infusion of Japanese tea in 100ml glass beakers. I thought this year I would ease up a bit on precision and stop using a thermometer. I decided to get matching clay yuzamashi following Akira Hojo's advice of using the same clay. Glass vessels work fine for this task, but I prefer the aesthetics of matching clay. So far the results have been similar to when I was measuring temperature, and I enjoy the more relaxed sessions. I also have a much better appreciation for easier to brew teas. I still measure my leaves with a scale, however, and probably always will.