Tokoname pots from Tea Trekker

DailyTX

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:54 pm

I have been looking into Tokoname clay. While searching on different artists, I came across Tea Trekker, a vendor located on the East Coast of United States. I wonder has anyone purchased their pots before, and how are their quality and authenticity?

Thanks,

Dailytx
Janice

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:26 pm

I’ve been happy with the tea I’ve purchased from Tea Trekker. I think it’s safe to assume that their tea ware is described honestly. When I’ve compared their tea ware to similar tea ware from places like Artistic Nippon it always seems much more expensive than purchasing directly from Japan.
DailyTX

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:50 am

Janice wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:26 pm
I’ve been happy with the tea I’ve purchased from Tea Trekker. I think it’s safe to assume that their tea ware is described honestly. When I’ve compared their tea ware to similar tea ware from places like Artistic Nippon it always seems much more expensive than purchasing directly from Japan.
Tea Trekker definitely has good review from other forums like reddit, but mostly for their tea. Their Tokoname pots seem priced reasonably if you are in the United States. Thank you for sharing your experience Janice
DailyTX

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:00 am

I noticed some Tokoname pots come with wooden box vs. paper box, stamp vs. hand signature. Anyone can provide basic things that I should prioritize when selecting a Tokoname pot, aside from artist, style, and firing?
Thanks
Dailytx
Victoria
Admin

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:21 pm

DailyTX wrote:
I noticed some Tokoname pots come with wooden box vs. paper box, stamp vs. hand signature. Anyone can provide basic things that I should prioritize when selecting a Tokoname pot, aside from artist, style, and firing?
Thanks
Dailytx
A hand signed kyusu with a wooden box, yellow cloth and papers will be the most valuable and expensive. Craftsmen only hand sign pieces they feel are superior. A stamped kyusu is lower in value but if it comes with wood box, cloth and papers it will raise the value accordingly. Paper box with older kyusu could simply be because the wooden box was lost. With new kyusu paper box typically means the value will be under +-400$ (just a ball park). I don’t pay much attention to values but rather to my aesthetic response to each piece. I received two Konishi Yohei kyusu that only came in paper boxes, but where hand signed, beautiful pieces to hold and use.
DailyTX

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:21 pm
DailyTX wrote:
Thanks
Dailytx
A hand signed kyusu with a wooden box, yellow cloth and papers will be the most valuable and expensive. Craftsmen only hand sign pieces they feel are superior. A stamped kyusu is lower in value but if it comes with wood box, cloth and papers it will raise the value accordingly. Paper box with older kyusu could simply be because the wooden box was lost. With new kyusu paper box typically means the value will be under +-400$ (just a ball park). I don’t pay much attention to values but rather to my aesthetic response to each piece. I received two Konishi Yohei kyusu that only came in paper boxes, but where hand signed, beautiful pieces to hold and use.
@Victoria
I have been looking at Konishi Yohei’s pots through artisan nippon. It looks like his pots are at the Jozan IV price range. Do you have any online resource for me to look more at his work?

Thanks

Dailytx
Victoria
Admin

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:07 pm

@DailyTX Konishi Yohei kyusu are typically >600. I’ve seen pieces occasionally on eBay and Asako Isobe has his pieces as well.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:17 pm

For me Konishi Yohei’s creations are some of my favourite Japanese contemporary teapots. I don't know how they are in terms of usage, but they do look marvelous! Also more imaginative than Yamada and Hokujo who more or less stick to a few tried and tested shapes.
DailyTX

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:55 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:17 pm
For me Konishi Yohei’s creations are some of my favourite Japanese contemporary teapots. I don't know how they are in terms of usage, but they do look marvelous! Also more imaginative than Yamada and Hokujo who more or less stick to a few tried and tested shapes.
@Bok
I have been very determined to go after a Jozan IV shudei until I saw Konishi Yohei’s work. So far, his pots at artisan nippon have been keeping me busy at digging more of his previous work + Marks (some signature seems to have more than his name. Maybe a date?). As a beginner in Tokoname pots, not sure if this is an impulsive buy as his pots are 600+ usd like Victoria said. I am comfortable buying a yixing zisha for that cost if it’s from the 60s or older...
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:55 pm

DailyTX wrote:
I am comfortable buying a yixing zisha for that cost if it’s from the 60s or older...
True indeed... I know which one I'd pick :mrgreen:

Guess it boils down to what kind of tea one enjoys the most. As beautiful as Yohei's pots are, I wouldn't have much use for them.
DailyTX

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:04 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:55 pm
DailyTX wrote:
I am comfortable buying a yixing zisha for that cost if it’s from the 60s or older...
True indeed... I know which one I'd pick :mrgreen:

Guess it boils down to what kind of tea one enjoys the most. As beautiful as Yohei's pots are, I wouldn't have much use for them.
I feel like Yohei’s pots have more artistic value while antique/vintage zisha pots have more usable value. Now if it’s 60s hongni vs. Jozan IV shudei...that will be a better comparison as both are around the same age, both have usability value as well as history value. :D