Japanese Clays and Techniques

TeaTotaling

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:27 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:09 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:00 pm
Any recommendations for Japanese clays that pair well with Gyokuro? Or, maybe a potter who's blend/clay might be an ideal fit?
I heard hokujo is a big gyokuro drinker
Good to know, thanks! Some of his older work has caught my eye. His clay tends to be more brown, from what I have seen. Wasn't sure how this would compare to red clay.
Yoroko

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:34 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Any recommendations for Japanese clays that pair well with Gyokuro? Or, maybe a potter who's blend/clay might be an ideal fit?
For Gyokuro I usually use 1st a glazed Kyusu first and then 2nd my oxidation fired A. Mumyoi Kyusu from Watanabe Tozo (bought from Hojotea) - often I prefer the glazed one (2:1).
But I got recently the Ashahina Gyokuro from Akira and and it was much, much better in the Kyusu from Watanabe Tozo. https://hojotea.com/item_e/g04e.htm
It seems to depend on the Gyokuro: whether it is fertilized a lot or not, organic or half-organic farming, altitude of the tea farm (= the higher, the shorter the vegetation period and therefore more storage of minerals), shaded with plastic tarpaulins or rice mats (the later: more minerals, especially if the mats are freshly plaited), ...
This article could also be interesting for you: https://hojotea.com.my/posts-92/ --> go down to the subheadline: "Selection of suitable clay based on two different types of Japanese green tea"

Akira Hojo recommends his Banko purple clay pots for Gyokuro. You could send him an email. He's very good at giving advice if you can tell him which Gyokuro's you want a Kyusu for (Addendum: Hohin/Shiboridasi if strict only for Gyokuro).
Last edited by Yoroko on Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
LeoFox

Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 am

Yoroko wrote:

For Gyokuro I usually use 1st a glazed Kyusu first and then 2nd my oxidation fired A. Mumyoi Kyusu from Watanabe Tozo (bought from Hojotea) - often I prefer the glazed one (2:1).
But I got recently the Ashahina Gyokuro from Akira and and it was much, much better in the Kyusu from Watanabe Tozo. https://hojotea.com/item_e/g04e.htm
I've found that his teas tend to really shine with his clays.
Yoroko

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:31 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Yoroko wrote:

Exactly! :D I just have 2 of his Senchas "in the works": 1. Uji Sencha Jubuzan (a first class Aracha) and 2. Hon Yama Hebizuka Sencha - a dream! Incidentally, Arkira's Karigane (from Sencha). And all of them benefit extremely from A. Mumyoi clay.
LeoFox

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:36 pm

Yoroko wrote:
LeoFox wrote:
Yoroko wrote:

Exactly! :D I just have 2 of his Senchas "in the works": 1. Uji Sencha Jubuzan (a first class Aracha) and 2. Hon Yama Hebizuka Sencha - a dream! Incidentally, Arkira's Karigane (from Sencha). And all of them benefit extremely from A. Mumyoi clay.
I enjoyed the jubuzan a lot with mumyoi, though I actually liked it best with kobiwako.

viewtopic.php?p=32829#p32829
Yoroko

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:56 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Yoroko wrote:
LeoFox wrote:

I enjoyed the jubuzan a lot with mumyoi, though I actually liked it best with kobiwako.

Akiras Kobiwako seem to be very good. Nice color also and terrific rustic :) You also use it with Sencha Gyokuro (mixed it up; it was late yesterday in the night ;) )?
Last edited by Yoroko on Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yoroko

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:11 am

LeoFox wrote:

I've just poured the Uji Jubuzan again: you're right, there are really notes of mint inside (and please see the additions above).
I've got 3 fantastic infusions, the 4th was still very nice, then it faded.

You write concerning the Uji Sencha Jubuzan: "Very hard to describe but it is like entering an herb garden. There are some celery and minty notes as well as a subtle butteriness. Very little of the typical umami. No bitterness" (Quote: viewtopic.php?p=32829#p32829 )

From my notes: The Jubuzan was for me flowery: memories of lavender, Herbes de Provence and: a meadow of flowers; smooth; great finish; great sweetie; light unami; simply delicious and you have such an extremely long and great aftertaste on the palate: sugar cane with a little touch of licorice and flowers.
It's always really interesting to talk about the taste to see if you can taste something similar in the USA as in Europe - taste is also culturally shaped, but I was quite often in the states (my uncle lives here since the sixties).

And I also agree: no bitterness; just a tiny a background note as it should be. And the "herb garden" - as you wrote - describes it perfectly :D
LeoFox

Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:34 am

@Yoroko
Great description! And interesting to see some alignment in tasting notes! You used the akitsu mumyoi oxidation?

Here I used carbonized reduction:
viewtopic.php?p=32911#p32911

I also tend to use carbonized reduction for gyokuro. With kobiwako, I mostly brew gaoshan oolong.
Yoroko

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:59 am

LeoFox wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:34 am
Yoroko
Great description! And interesting to see some alignment in tasting notes! You used the akitsu mumyoi oxidation?

Here I used carbonized reduction:
viewtopic.php?p=32911#p32911

I also tend to use carbonized reduction for gyokuro. With kobiwako, I mostly brew gaoshan oolong.
@LeoFox Yes, the Akitsu Mumyoi Oxidation. Akira recommended me for green tea, when I was not sure either to take the Joaka or the Akitsu. And I did not regret it. Before Akira wrote me this (improves body & aftertaste), I always thought you can not get both worlds together, but you can.

I've seen on viewtopic.php?p=32911#p32911 , that you have the red. fired one: such a nice surface and deep, deep black - like deep space :) Would be nice to compare the oxidation with the carbonized reduction one. Akira wrote somewhere, that he likes the carbonized reduction in the morning, for a different taste of the same tea, more aftertaste and less body. I think (guess) the reduction fired one would be a very good complement?! - because usually early in the morning and sometimes late at night I also prefer more aftertaste, and clearly distinguishable taste notes. :) and if G. is better: :D

LeoFox wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:32 pm
I don't understand why people insist clay only accounts for less than 5% of the tea experience...
(from: viewtopic.php?p=32911#p32911 )

My oxidation fired A.M. Kyusu in particular convinced me just a week ago now, that a kyusu can bring much more than just 5 percent improvement. I would say today: 55% tea, 25% water and 20% is the Kyusu ... was a learning curve!

I was also impressed by the alignment in the tasting notes, that's why I posted them. Did I understand you correctly --> LF: "And then off boiling: 5 min, 5 min, 10 min": Boiling for minutes really helps in the end? Never tried this.
Last edited by Yoroko on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
LeoFox

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:58 am

@Yoroko when I say boiling, I mean I pour the water in right as it reaches boiling. Been doing that at the end to extract everything..and then eat the leaves if organic or gyokuro.

Yeah I really like that black pot. It keeps getting shinier and sounds like metal when I touch it!

@Victoria

Since we are getting off topic, maybe admin can move last few posts to what green tea you are tasting thread.
Attachments
20210411_090655.jpg
20210411_090655.jpg (244.07 KiB) Viewed 8228 times
Yoroko

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:01 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:58 am
Yoroko when I say boiling, I mean I pour the water in right as it reaches boiling. Been doing that at the end to extract everything..and then eat the leaves if organic or gyokuro.

Yeah I really like that black pot. It keeps getting shinier and sounds like metal when I touch it!
OK, got you - this makes sense: good idea! And it works. Thanks :D I also eat the organic leaves. My favorite: leaves with Kikoman soy sauce & Oh Aik Guan Sesame Oil (roasted) from China (4:1) - you should get in an Asia supermarket (the best brand; I tried many and this was the recommendation from a Chinese friend).
TeaTotaling

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:01 pm

Yoroko wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:
It seems to depend on the Gyokuro: whether it is fertilized a lot or not, organic or half-organic farming, altitude of the tea farm (= the higher, the shorter the vegetation period and therefore more storage of minerals), shaded with plastic tarpaulins or rice mats (the latter: more minerals, especially if the mats are freshly perforated), ...
This article could also be interesting for you: https://hojotea.com.my/posts-92/ --> go down to the subheadline: "Selection of suitable clay based on two different types of Japanese green tea"

Akira Hojo recommends his Banko purple clay pots for Gyokuro. You could send him an email. He's very good at giving advice if you can tell him which Gyokuro's you want a Kyusu for.
Very good, thank you for your helpful insight!
Yoroko

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:25 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:01 pm

Very good, thank you for your helpful insight!
Welcome :D ... and I just added to the last sentence in my post —> "(...) you want a Kyusu for." —> (Addendum: Hohin/Shiboridasi if strict only for Gyokuro).

For the sake of completeness ;)