Ode to the Kyusu

Victoria
Admin

Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Chip wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:24 pm
Victoria wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:24 pm
Ohhh, a very beautiful filter. Nice to see this special kyusu found a good home. Does the shudei clay feel any different from other burnished (namamigaki) ones you have? Well it looks shiny from burnishing, it could be something else in the clay that gives this effect.
I notice this w/ many kyusu featuring physically altered or manipulated exteriors such as Kenji, Yoshiki, Gyokuryu, etc where the exterior is more polished looking while the interior is rougher clay.

Could it be from rubbing during the manipulation of the exterior, namamigaki (Hojo) or a thin "slip" layer of finer or more filtered clay added to the exterior?

I could only speculate ...
@Chip, wonder if you can ask Toru about shinny exterior on some Tokoname kyusu. With the sculpted exterior on yours it looks like very fine clay is used and fired at higher temperatures so exterior melting point is higher than interior, causing a shiny surface. Just a thought, since I too have a few shudei Tokoname kyusu that are shinier on exterior than interior and don’t look burnished.

Left: Hokujo twisted spout Shudei clay with shinny exterior
Right: Shimizu Ken Nosaka clay without Namamigaki (not burnished)

724B58CF-192E-49B5-836A-9FB8DA319DD2.jpeg
724B58CF-192E-49B5-836A-9FB8DA319DD2.jpeg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Darbotek

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:32 pm

jpo1933 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:20 pm
Darbotek wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:21 pm

It’s something special for sure. I’m minimizing my teaware and wanted a few very special pieces and this is one of them. He must still be making some one offs, because I have a hohin on the way from Chaki Chaki. Thes Du Japon gets some of his stuff still too.
Lucky you :D I've wanted one of his houhins for a long time. I was just never able to muster up the courage through to actually pay for one, though. Beautiful stuff though.
Hope you can post a few pictures of it when you get the chance!

I didn't know about Thes/Chaki carrying some of his teawares. I took a look over at Chaki, and it looks like they really had some nice pots of his up, of course now all sold out now. I imagine he still has a lot of stuff over the years that hasn't sold yet that he's holding on to and that people over at Chaki and TDJ probably are able to source directly from him. When I purchased a teapot made by him from awhile ago at teashop in Tokyo they told me that since he's now retired his pots have been more difficult to come by and that was lucky to get one. I suppose there's always a chance he came out of retirement to make to put out a few more pots though :)
Not lucky, just poorly managing money I made from selling other tea ware lol. I will absolutely post pictures! Got a used tetsubin today as well that I am doing the tea treatment on so I want to wait to have tea.

Thes says the same thing. I'm wondering if its old stock or he just makes a few here and there for pure enjoyment that he then sells.
Darbotek

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Victoria wrote:

Seeing a Hokujo in Shudei is like the first time I noticed my Dad without his glasses on. Had to do a double take.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:09 pm

Darbotek wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:33 pm
Victoria wrote:
Seeing a Hokujo in Shudei is like the first time I noticed my Dad without his glasses on. Had to do a double take.
Yes, Shimizu Genji, Hokujo kiln, worked with Shudei (red clay) before getting into his now signature high fired unglazed stoneware, Yakishime.