Introduce Yourself

Victoria
Admin

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:46 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @shy rabbit. I did not know you used to live in LA. You have already made a nice contribution to TeaForum via our 1 year anniversary fundraiser in which a yunomi of yours that I had was auctioned. I enjoyed observing a formal resemblance between your cup and Jozan III cups. Several members here have some of your pieces.

D Michael Coffee ShyRabbit & Jozan III yunomi_IMG_5627.jpg
D Michael Coffee ShyRabbit & Jozan III yunomi_IMG_5627.jpg (188.41 KiB) Viewed 5710 times
shy rabbit
Artisan

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Many thanks for the Welcomes...I truly appreciate it.

Michael
shy rabbit
Artisan

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:51 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:46 pm
Welcome to TeaForum shy rabbit. I did not know you used to live in LA. You have already made a nice contribution to TeaForum via our 1 year anniversary fundraiser in which a yunomi of yours that I had was auctioned. I enjoyed observing a formal resemblance between your cup and Jozan III cups. Several members here have some of your pieces.

D Michael Coffee ShyRabbit & Jozan III yunomi_IMG_5627.jpg
Thanks for letting me know about my "contribution", I will try to continue to contribute here in person as well.
Michael
debunix

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:12 am

Jo wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:37 pm
Woohoo Michael, soooooo glad you joined us, Looking forward to your posts in Teaware Artisans :mrgreen:
I have quite a few Shyrabbit works that are not too shy to be featured in your topic. I was drinking from this one this morning

shy rabbit
Artisan

Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:55 pm

debunix wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:12 am
Jo wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:37 pm
Woohoo Michael, soooooo glad you joined us, Looking forward to your posts in Teaware Artisans :mrgreen:
I have quite a few Shyrabbit works that are not too shy to be featured in your topic. I was drinking from this one this morning

Many thanks for pictorial reminder and for your support.
ennawang
New user

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:11 am

Hello,everyone,I am very happy to meet all of you here.
We are the organizer of Global Tea Fair (Shenzhen Autumn). I hope I can exchange some ideas and knowledge of tea here with you.
tjkdubya
Vendor

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Hello. Some of us may know each other on IG already (@tjkdubya). I am in the process of learning and experimenting... I gravitate towards yancha and other roasted oolong, but interested in understanding better all genres, especially about the relationship between tea and terroir, processing methods and their effects, historical development of styles, and random tidbits that go beyond the immediate sensory qualities that make tea so interesting as a human activity. I am also quite interested in aesthetics arising from tea as a practice of everyday life, rather than as an exceptional or special ceremony (though that can be beautiful in its own right). My relative blinds spots are what many of you have delved deep into: Puerh and Yixing; hopefully being here will remedy that somewhat! I split my time between SF and Beijing mostly. Hopefully that's enough of an intro ramble :)
Victoria
Admin

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:41 am

Welcome again @tjkdubya. Really happy to see you posting here :) 🍃
Zenshin

Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:13 pm

How long have you been drinking tea?

I've started around 5 years ago I think. Of course that wasn't "serious" drinking yet. Beginning with Assams and through my studies I got more interested in Japanese culture and also tea. Shortly after I decided to start working part-time at a teashop/café and got hooked on Gongfu-brewing and an never ending hunger for more knowledge surrounding tea. That was about 3 1/2 years ago now and I never looked back from then on also researching the topic during my foreign year in Japan last year ^^.

What kind of tea do you drink?

I'm drinking almost every tea imaginable from greens to Puerh. My favourites are Japanese single cultivar teas of all kinds (I especially got hooked on Kamairicha), Hong Kong stored Puerh and roasted oolong.

How do you prepare your tea?

Mostly in a smaller setting, alone or with friends. My standard setups are a kyusu/gaiwan and a yunomi for myself or a set of porcelain cups and a chahai when steeping for more people.
Other than that I love playing with different settings for my sessions. It keeps the topic exciting every day :)

Disclaimer: I sometimes brew my senchas with boiling water and flashsteeps. I don't like too much umami in them, it has to have a bit of a bite ;)

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?

At the moment I want to dive deeper into japanese teaware and different cultivars/varietals of japanese teas, including experimental ones!
I also would like to know more about farming methods behind tea cultivation!

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

Of course first and foremost the taste of good whole leaf tea! Once I experienced the depth and complexities of true tea there was no way back.
Other than that, tea as a beverage as well as a culture and it's aesthetic is fascinating to me. It shaped and still shapes world history and culture in so many ways and exploring this endless sea of knowledge became a source of happiness to me.
Just having a set time of the day to slow down and explore something in the moment is so relaxing and somehow (it sounds cheesy) spiritual, also building a bridge to nature. It just became a way of life for me I guess :)

What is your location?

Düsseldorf, Germany

I'm happy that I found this goldmine for good people and information and look forward to explore tea culture with all of you here!
If somebody needs something translated from japanese let me know, I might be of help :)
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Welcome Zenshin to our TeaForum, excited that you are here with us. Sounds like you have a lot to share with us.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:45 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @Zenshin. Nice to have you join us. Do you also read and translate Japanese calligraphy?
t-curious

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:46 pm

Welcome to the forum @Zenshin 😁
Zenshin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:55 am

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

@Victoria to some extend I can decipher it, especially if it isn't the hardest cursive and I get some clues :D
bettinorosso

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Hello all!

I've gotten progressively more into tea over the last six or seven years, with the grip of interest tightening rapidly more I taste and scratch the surface, as it seems to go with folks. I was in the wine trade for several years as vocation and avocation, so I've always enjoyed the associated reading and rumination with imbibing. It's a pleasure experiencing and learning new things about a experience that ranges from rare and transcendent to a daily source of stimulation, comfort, and conversation for such a large number of people. I quickly focused on puer and Wuyi oolongs, but find myself easily drawn into periods where anything from Japanese greens to estate Assams grab my attention and stay in the rotation for months. Lately I've been inverting a number of my earlier habits, finding myself craving factory processing for puer and heavier roast/higher oxidation for rolled oolongs, but new things constantly redirect my curiosity and that's one of the qualities I've found so consistently rewarding about tea. I've dialed back from brewing gongfu on every occasion while simultaneously trying to be more attentive and disciplined while I do so, and find myself boiling aged teas and grabbing a tea bowl more often as well. I've met scores of passionate, generous and interesting people who have been exceedingly liberal with their time, knowledge, perspective and tea, and look forward to meeting more here. I'm in Philadelphia, where I often torment/amuse friends with tea, but have not had any regular focused tea brewing and discussion other than in my travels with folks from online communities.
Last edited by bettinorosso on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t-curious

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 pm

Welcome to the forum @bettinorosso!