Introduce Yourself

l_k
New user

Mon May 31, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi everyone!

How long have you been drinking tea?
More or less seriously - about ten years, but sometimes I start to feel myself too overwhelmed and just drink what I have (usually it’s a stock which will never end…). I drank tea (loose also) almost all my life, but it was mainly regular black or something herbal. And I always drank also coffee, still drink and love. Don’t see any reason why I have to love only one of them.

What kind of tea do you drink?
Mostly all sorts of Chinese tea and a bit of Japanese. In Chinese teas I’m currently rediscovering Yanchas and Dancongs which I did not appreciate much in the past. I love puerh (both sheng and shu. Just starting to delve into intimidating aged and semi aged puerhs’ world), I love white teas (except Silver Needles), recently started really appreciating hongchas and heichas. I also want to expand my knowledge in Taiwanese teas, at this point I’m acquainted with standard choice: Dong Ding, Alishan, Lishan and some Ruby Blacks.

How do you prepare your tea?
Mostly gong fu. Occasionally I prepare western style or grandpa, if I’m very tired/don’t have much time or I’m at work.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
I love to learn new things, so I’m exploring everything I reach xD

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
Curiosity :D I had few online friends back in early 2010s that were drinking a lot of puerh and Da Hong Pao, so I could not resist my curiosity. I tend to love things which are whole limitless world in itself, like reading, art, history and classical music, so gladly delved into another boundless world :lol:
pedant
Admin

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:32 pm

Welcome!
psboston7

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:16 pm

Hello Everyone so pleased to be here . My name is Pam and I am originally from Boston though I have lived in Southern California for nearly my entire adult life.

I have been drinking tea since the age of 6... my Dad would leave a sip or 2 in the bottom of the cup for me.

My favorite teas are English Breakfast, Earl Grey and Darjeeling - I have specific brands I like of these and look forward to sharing them where it's appropriate.

Was raised with evaporated milk in my tea, now I'll drink it with half & half, powdered coffeemate (when desperate) and raw sugar for sweetener.

I joined the group to find new tea brands to explore as well as am hopeful to discuss favorite num nums that we serve along with our tea.

I'd love to see some of the different tea sets or books that others recommend I have a collection as well.

Southern California is my current location... although I visit Sacramento often - my Daughter, Son-n-law and 2 grand children (toddlers) live there.
Deepsteamed

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:38 pm

Hello! Tea has become one of my passions and greatest pleasures. It is a love affair going on for years now since I began to practice my own tea ritual.

I love most all high quality teas, but Taiwanese oolongs, Japanese greens, and Chinese mingqian teas have a special place in my heart.
John216
New user

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:37 pm

Hello from New York. Tea drinker over 20 years now.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:20 pm

Welcome to TeaForum 🍃
Qidjm

Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:47 am

Hello all!
Super newibie, only 10ish years

Fan of Oolongs and really enjoy Pu Er in winter. Unroasted Tie Quan Yin was my first love but am exploring some High Mountain varieties.

How do you prepare your tea?
When I have time to really enjoy it, trying to do it the gong fu way, small 2 person clay pot but during work hrs, in a larger 4 person caste iron/enamel pot with longer steep

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
Gong Fu teas and tea pots that are good for different varieties of the kinds I enjoy and discovering new varieties! Thank you for sharing knowledge everyone!

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
My martial arts teachers started teaching me and letting me experience zen / gong fu tea sessions after class. I am continuing to maintain it as part of my meditation practice. I am having trouble finding the high quality teas they served me though in this pandemic.

What is your location?
Canada

Apologies for going about this backwards and posting something before an intro :( Newbie and working long hours so finally getting a chance to sign in again!
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:00 pm

Qidjm wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:47 am
My martial arts teachers started teaching me and letting me experience zen / gong fu tea sessions after class. I am continuing to maintain it as part of my meditation practice. I am having trouble finding the high quality teas they served me though in this pandemic.
ds and posting something before an intro :( Newbie and working long hours so finally getting a chance to sign in again!
Welcome! Martial arts and tea are a good match. What is your poison if I may ask? Bagua Zhang/Xingyi here.
teanik

Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:49 pm

There's a photo of me when I was about two, sipping what was probably Red Rose tea from my own little cup and saucer. I still have that cup and saucer. I've had them for 65 years.

Not well versed in tea, but I have some favorites. There are WuYi teas I enjoy. Gaoshan and Baozhong have begun to dominate.

I guess I just took to that Red Rose tea. When my parents took us out for Chinese food, I always enjoyed the tea. Sometimes I didn't know what the tea was, but I was always intrigued. When it was jasmine, I was delighted.
When I was a teenager I found a couple of stores where I could buy Chinese teas. I remember the Formosa Oolong (Kardomah).
For decades it was trips to China Town to buy teas I knew little about, and less about how to prepare them.
While visiting family in Toronto about 20 years ago, I happened upon a Chinese tea vendor in a huge mall. I left his little shop about an hour and $150 later. My purchase included an Yixing pot.
I finally bought a home computer about seven years ago. I don't have a tea vendor where I am, so I decided to look online. I was overwhelmed. So I looked for reviews, and ended up with a wealth of information from tea discussion sites like this one. Thank you for that, everyone!
Victoria
Admin

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:59 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @teanik. Sounds like you have some tea mileage 🍃
teanik

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:09 pm

Thank you, Victoria, for that welcome. Yes, I've had lots of time with tea, but I really only started to put on more mileage about seven years ago when I discovered a tea discussion site that you and others here were on, and then here on Tea Forum. The chat sites have provided a precious resource that has helped me navigate the treacherous roads of online tea and tea ware exploration. Yes, I've had my share of tuition (Yixing) pots and questionable teas like everyone else, but that's an important part of how we learn. The nice thing is, with the help of sites like this one, people can discover new teas, and new pots to brew them in, that come from as far away as China. And for that, I'm grateful.
johnnylake
New user

Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:58 pm

Hi all! My name is johnny you can find me @borikentealeaves on instagram. Nice to meet you all!

How long have you been drinking tea? - Herbal tisane/infusions for 5-6 years, and true tea for about 2 or 3 months now!

What kind of tea do you drink? - All kinds! I am still learning which I like best but so far I love the variety of flavors and sensations each tea has,

How do you prepare your tea? #gongfuforever

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now? Yixing teaware!

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there? I started brewing loose leaf black tea western style to read/divine with the tea leaves, and that reminded me of a tea ceremony that I went to years ago and a friend who used to work at teavana. I bought some yellow tea and now I am here 😂

What is your location? Puerto Rico 💖
ssosa
Vendor

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:07 pm

Hello!! My name is Salvador Sosa and you can find me @salvadorsosa.13 on instagram.

How long have you been drinking tea? - since 2007!

What kind of tea do you drink? - All kind of tea and from all over the world

How do you prepare your tea? depends on the tea...

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now? Very specialized information.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there? My first time drinking tea was in 2007, before that I used to drink only fruit and herbal tisanes. But I felt in love with tea since first sip (I still remember the smell of that tea "Oriental Beauty"). Now I own a tea company in Mexico (SINENSIS) parnering with International Tea Importers (USA).

I hope I can learn and help a lot!!!...

What is your location? Tijuana and Pachuca Mexico
Victoria
Admin

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:14 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @ssosa nice to finally see you joining us here Salvador. I’ve mentioned you here many times as an expert, and remember we also included a special gyokuro of yours for our Inaugural Tasting at TeaForum. It was so good! Thank you 🍃
pedant
Admin

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:16 pm

hey, @ssosa! @Victoria has mentioned you before. nice to "meet" you!