Introduce Yourself

Bok
Vendor

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:09 pm

Welcome! Some here are also from your neck of the woods, I am sure they will make themselves known to you.
Nln22 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:19 pm
Exploring teas, particularly the intricacies of yancha as far as my budget permits. Also, yixing pots :D :D
Oh yes, I feel your pain on both accounts...
Nln22

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:54 am

I'm happy that I can still enjoy mid grade factory stuff. I I await in horror the day my palate can only stand zhengyan 1+++USD/g stuff
OCTO

Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:10 am

Nln22 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:19 pm
How long have you been drinking tea?
Well, pretty much all my life. But for "serious teas", about two years or so.

What kind of tea do you drink?
My preferences have swung from shu to sheng to my current obsession, yancha.

How do you prepare your tea?
Gongfu I guess but I typically eschew a gong dao bei for three cups, replicating the aesthetics of the Chaozhou style.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
Exploring teas, particularly the intricacies of yancha as far as my budget permits. Also, yixing pots :D :D

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
I used to drink tea Western style and reading about tea eventually led me here. As for what's keeping me here, the cynical side of me would say consumerist gratification but I guess it has been pretty fun as vexing as it has been.

What is your location?
Malaysia but I live in Sarawak far from where all the fun is :cry: :cry: :cry:
Welcome my fellow Malaysian @Nln22!!

I'm from the other side of the country... hahahaha.... from the little turtle island Penang!.... Don't worry, you're not far away from all the fun... when we can't be where the fun is, we bring the fun to us!!... Looking forward to learning more from you. Yancha is indeed a deep obsession!! Looking forward to learning from your experiences.

Cheers!!
Nln22

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:51 am

@OCTO

At least I'm still connected through the domestic online market :mrgreen: . But you flatter me to much, I really am still a complete novice. I look forward to learning from you and admiring your incredible collection
TenFu's TEA
Vendor

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:08 am

More than 10 years.

I prefer robust and rich flavor like wuyi big red robe and dancong oolong

Usually use kung fu tea set.

Tea planting.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

Drinking tea is a tradition in China,besides my hometown is the origin of Phoenix Oolong.So it's more like a born habit.

What is your location?

Now in Xiamen,Fujian Province,China.
ooohleg

Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:29 am

Hey all! I am new here and it's a pleasure to join all of you.

I was trying to find some information on Reddit about a yixing teapot I found in a charity shop the other day, and someone told me about this place. They made you all sound like a rather knowledgeable community (well done you! :) ) I look forward to making some friends here.

A little bit about me? Sure! Here you go:

I mostly drink Chinese tea and I discovered it first when i was living in Evanston, Illinois (just outside of Chicago). There I found an authentic little tea shop called Dream About Tea (http://www.dreamabouttea.com/) which is owned by a Chinese family. That was more than 10 years ago. Eventually I moved to the UK and didn't touch tea until about 2 years ago and I've been hitting it pretty hard since then.

Chinese teas, mostly, as I already said. I like them all, but particularly enjoy oolongs, I guess.

I call it sloppy gongfu. I've got a gaiwan and a crappy little teapot i bought off Amazon, but I've never actually drank Chinese tea in the company of someone who actually knows how to do it, so I am sure I've got a lot to learn.

At the moment, I'd like to find out as much info as possible about this curious little teapot I found in a charity shop a couple of days ago - I will post about that later. Otherwise, I am keen to learn more about the culture of tea drinking.

Wanted to try something new, and stayed for the ritual.

What is your location?
Originally, I am Russian, but was born in Estonia. I lived in the US for a while, and now i am settled just outside of Brighton, UK.

Other than that, I am a graphic designer by profession, and that's about it :D
Victoria
Admin

Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:56 am

Welcome new members @ooohleg, @TenFu's TEA, and @Nln22. Glad to have you join us here at TeaForum.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:39 am

@ooohleg cheers to a fellow practitioner of the visual arts! Looking forward to see what your little mystery teapot turns out to be.

Sloppy gongfu, I like that. Don’t worry too much about getting it right, it’s just tea and with time you’ll find what works best for you.
teanik

Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:13 pm

Bok wrote:
Sloppy gongfu, I like that. Don’t worry too much about getting it right, it’s just tea and with time you’ll find what works best for you.
This sedate little statement from @Bok could easily slip by unnoticed. But this is Tea Wisdom for the ages. Anyone who finds themselves starting to get into tea and tea ware more seriously, and may feel a bit anxious, would do well to keep it in mind. It's very reassuring.
I'm a practitioner of sloppy gongfu myself. I have been for 7 years. Like @ooohleg, I, too, have "never actually drank Chinese tea in the company of someone who actually knows how to do it," so I find this piece of advice very profound and affirming.
Thanks, @Bok.
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Welcome to all the newbies on TeaForum. I am looking forward to your posts about tea.
OCTO

Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:47 pm

teanik wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:13 pm
Bok wrote:
.....so I find this piece of advice very profound and affirming.
Thanks, Bok.
Very sound advice indeed. Let the teapot and cup be your tools and not the other way round.
ooohleg

Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:50 am

thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Pleased to finally join and thanks for the reassuring advice. I have been trying to get my father-in-law into tea over the last year too and told him pretty much the same thing - don't be too precious about it and just try to find the balance that suits you. I need to get him a tea tray though as I think he is more worried about getting sloppy in a more literal way and making a mess.

As for the mystery teapot, I am just going through some of the older posts first to see if i can find any more info about it.

thanks again!
Oldster
New user

Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:45 am

Not a fan of tea. I like my Kona coffee. That said, over the last six months I have been looking into the health benefits of green tea. Couple months ago I started trying green tea, but the taste was just too awful. Someone suggested white tea, so I bought some Silver Needle stuff off eBay last month. Cannot say I love it, but I don't hate it. I can see drinking one cup a day to get the medicinal benefit, considering the taste is doable. I expect to make this a part of my daily routine.
Alianore

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:41 am

Hello everyone!
I have been a tea aficionado for a couple of years now. I prefer green and white tea, as well as greener oolongs, although I do sometimes drink heicha and black tea, depending on my mood. My favorites are Japanese greens, and I almost never find any Japanese greens that disappoint me.
I usually drink my tea either grandpa or western style. I reserve gongfu for quiet moments, which are rare in my life.
In the past couple of months I've become interested in trying tea from different regions of the globe, so I am currently on a mission to learn more about differences in tasting notes for various greens. The history of tea is also a great interest. :)
I live in Zagreb, Croatia, and I am a translator.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:36 am

Welcome to TeaForum @Oldster and @Alianore. Oldster you might take a look at our green and white tea forums especially vendor recommendations from other members. The higher the quality tea, the higher the likelihood you will find some teas that you can really enjoy. Alianore, we have a few other members from Croatia. Zagreb is such a beautiful city 🍃