Introduce Yourself

Noonie

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:26 am

TheartofMat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 am
How long have you been drinking tea?

Then one day teavana opened up in the local mall....you can see where this is going. I bought some dragon well green and some high mtn oolong then sat down with my phone and started digging. Few years later I was in California at red blossom tea company buying a yixing pot and much better tea. I love tea and all that it seems to bring that's why I stay.

What is your location?

Houston Tx.
lol I started at Teavana as well. Then I tried David’s Tea. Then I discovered high quality.
teafarer

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 pm

mrmopu wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 pm
heichaholiday wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Another Virginian! :D
Yay! VA represent ;)
viabsj
New user

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:47 pm

I've started drinking tea seriously since September of this year. Before that, it was the occasional Lipton green tea (which I still love) with honey.

What kind of tea do you drink?
I'm especially in love with oolong tea (Da Hong Pao), but lately have been really into the puerh tea. Raw and ripe alike. I have a very expensive taste, I've found. It's not a good thing, at all.

How do you prepare your tea?
I prepare it gongfu style only. I need the ceremony to fully be into the moment and be one with tea, no matter how cheesy that sounds.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
How to store and age puerh, the process of making tea. I'm especially interested in smaller farms and their role in this process.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
I started doing gongfu tea style, because I desperately needed something to relax. I've tried mindfulness in the past to no avail and the ceremony is the closest to serenity I can find. The first time I even knew such thing existed was when I was watching a show where this couple did this and just watching it was so relaxing and peaceful. I do it now every day myself to get my mind off of things and resetting my day.

What is your location?
Europe, The Netherlands.
mrmopu

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:04 pm

teafarer wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 pm
mrmopu wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 pm
heichaholiday wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Another Virginian! :D
Yay! VA represent ;)
Indeed. I do trade as well. Cupboard link.
https://steepster.com/mrmopar/cupboard
Hotleafwater

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:27 am

I've been drinking tea seriously since the beginning of my sophomore/junior year of college so around two years now.

Mostly Puerhs and Oolongs but I'm still starting on my journey so a lot is subject to change where this is concerned.

Gongfu style usually in a gaiwan and with a tea tray.

I'm super into exploring more taiwanese teas, sun and moon lake blacks and also black and oolong teas from Japan. These type of Japanese teas are harder to get my hands on so I haven't been able to try that many. I'm also interested in learning and trying more Liu Bao.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
I think it started as something to drink that wasn't coffee while studying

What is your location?
I'm from the Chicago suburbs but right now I'm living in Lisbon, Portugal!
Chris418

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi,
My name is Christian, I'm from Québec, eastern Canada.

I drink tea since 6 or 7 years now,

I drink mainly oolong and puerh but i like all the type of tea, sometime i just brew some tea with my mood.

The community here is kind of small so i drink Gong Fu 95% or the time; alone.

I love teaware :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/chris418/
leth

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Over twenty years, but slowly gravitating towards more traditional teas from a more modern western way of drinking tea. Nowdyas I'm mostly interested in traditional tea cultures.

High quality tea, most kinds but i prefere living tea, and aged is nice though I also enjoy a refreshing cup of fresh tea.

Depends on the tea, the situation, my mood and various other factors.

At the moment of this writing I've just started to explore Chanoyu. I have mostly been focused on Chinese chadao before.

It resonates with me. Int inspires meditationa and brings people together.

What is your location?

Stockholm, Sweden
JAndrews2

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:16 pm

In some form, all my life. Frequently / as a hobby, since my early twenties.

Mostly Yunnan and Indian black teas, and grocery store gunpowder tea. Lots of puer when I have it, though I'm starting to run low. Lately I've been working through a stash of oolong that got neglected a couple years ago during some major life changes. They're all a bit stale/sour but that just adds another challenge to the brewing process!

Mostly just throw the leaves in a cup or largeish teapot. I don't drink much tea in one sitting, so I've started to make Indian tea in a ~180ml vessel, adjusting weight but keeping times on the long side. Puer and oolong go in a 50ml gaiwan (like I said, I love tea but I'm not a heavy tea drinker).

I got some cheapo Russian and Indian tea from a grocery store that was going out of business. They're fun to explore when I don't have the time or presence of mind for anything fancier. My puer stash is running real low, and I'm always up for exploring more of that.

Grew up in a South Asian immigrant neighborhood, drinking masala chai and such (not of SA descent myself, but even at home we'd make it that way, with ginger and cardamom in a cooking pot on the stove rather than a teapot). Later, I was given a huge amount of Twinings Earl Grey after an acquaintance of my then girlfriend (now wife) had it delivered to the wrong location and couldn't return it. While in grad school in Milwaukee, I started drinking it to stay warm (and destress about term papers) during a very cold winter in a drafty apartment, and it went on from there.

What is your location?
Western suburbs of Chicago.
teaformeplease

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Hello all! I'm pleasantly surprised to see how active this forum is already.

I've pretty much always been a tea drinker, being raised on Red Rose with milk and sugar. I got into tea more seriously in college and haven't turned back more than 10 years later.

Anything and everything. I really don't get into herbals at all, though.

I usually gongfu my tea unless I'm drinking a Japanese tea, then it's time to whip out the kyusu :)

Nothing super specific at the moment but I write about tea on my blog so I'm always looking for new and interesting things to share with my readers.

It's a never-ending rabbit hole. I still learn new things almost daily even though I've been seriously pursuing tea as a hobby for years.

What is your location?

Bayonne, NJ. A veritable tea desert.
Chip
Admin

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:47 pm

teaformeplease wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:34 pm
Hello all! I'm pleasantly surprised to see how active this forum is already.

Bayonne, NJ. A veritable tea desert.
Good to see you again! :mrgreen:

From Reading PA, home of few good tea drinkers!
teafarer

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:53 pm

mrmopu wrote:
I haven't really traded before, and my cupboard hasn't been updated/uploaded, but I do have a somewhat dormant steepster account
https://steepster.com/teafarer
LittleRoundFox
New user

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:04 pm

chofmann wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:27 pm

Clay teapots at home, but at work I'm lazy and just throw the leaves right in the mug and add water. #NoFilter #GrandpaStyle
OK - I laughed more than I should have at the #NoFilter :D
mrmopu

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:08 pm

teafarer wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:53 pm
mrmopu wrote:
I haven't really traded before, and my cupboard hasn't been updated/uploaded, but I do have a somewhat dormant steepster account
https://steepster.com/teafarer
You found me there as well. :D
Mysticchyna
New user

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:39 am

Hello my name is Lisa and I hope I'm posting this right.

I've been drinking tea since I was a child but didn't get into loose teas until the mid 90s. Those teas weren't of great quality and I brewed in a coffee mug western style. Upon discovering the tea community on Instagram I found gongfucha. I'm 18 months in. All in.

I enjoy almost any tea but I'm still giving pu a chance to grow on me and I'm not crazy about most white teas. I mainly drink blacks and oolongs and prefer Japanese greens love herbals as well.

I mainly gongfu my tea but sometimes do western and grandpa style.

I'm very much in the learning stage. I've gotten so much help from the IG tea community and am reading tea books. Learning never ends and starts somewhere....

Instagram exposed me to the world of gongfu. Not even the basic tea shops I went to in the 90s had it and the internet wasn't around. I saw a beautiful photo and then googled the heck out of Chinese tea. The love is deep. My thirst for tea, the ritual of brewing and learning keeps me here.

What is your location?

Maryland
Moonlit Windsong
New user

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:01 am

Hi there! I'm Melissa

I've been drinking herbal or tisanes since I was very young--so about 30 years for things like peppermint, lemon balm, sassafras and so on, plus a lot of the common blends we got from the store in bags. I'm just getting into the Chinese loose leaf teas and have been researching a lot for a few weeks now.

Herbal, Earl Gray, Black and Green teas

To date, unless it was an herbal that we grew and harvested ourselves, largely in the tea bags in a mug of hot water. I've been practicing Gongfu with stuff from the bags while I wait for my first tea to arrive. Monday I hope!

Learning the technique and exploring my palate

I've always enjoyed a warm cup of tea and growing up those were some of my fondest memories--brewing it up and enjoying it with my parents. Lately I've been working on getting healthier and have felt so much better drinking unsweetened tea and water rather than sodas.

What is your location?
Arkansas