Introduce Yourself

thuja
New user

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Been interested in tea for many years. Enjoy high mountain oolongs, sencha, pu erh; it all depends on the season/weather, and what interests my palette. Been meaning to join this forum for a long while now, so here I am! :D
Victoria
Admin

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:01 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @thuja. Looking forward to hearing from you. Where in the world are you :)
Z.Zhu

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:35 pm

Made in China, Designed in Sweden, Detailed in London

Architect, Ceramicist, Tea Drinker

The new owner of a ceramic studio and tea house

How long have you been drinking tea?
- Grew up drinking tea - more seriously got into tea in the last year

What kind of tea do you drink?
-All Chinese teas, preference in Oolongs and Puerhs

How do you prepare your tea?
-EKG Stagg Kettle, with filtered water, Gaiwan or Xiying/Chaozhou teapots

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
- Yixing Clayware knowledge, buying,
- Oolong, Puerh and tea sourcing

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
- Everything from my own culture, upbringing and genuine interest in tea and teaware

What is your location?
- Currently living in Central London
Victoria
Admin

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Welcome to TeaForum Z.Zhu. Nice to have another architect here, as well as multicultural tea aficionado and ceramicist :) 🍃
Z.Zhu

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks Victoria! Looking forward to contributing to the forum!

Could you please point me towards a thread where I can potentially buy teapots from others?

Thanks!
Victoria
Admin

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:37 pm

Z.Zhu wrote:

Could you please point me towards a thread where I can potentially buy teapots from others?

Thanks!
Community/Tea Swap is the place for you to visit. What are you looking for :) .
viewforum.php?f=28
Z.Zhu

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:05 am

Victoria wrote:
Z.Zhu wrote:

Thanks!
viewforum.php?f=28
Thanks Victoria, will have a look through. Specifically looking for a 90-110ml ShiPiao and Dragon egg style, wood fired if possible clay teapot :)
Bok
Vendor

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:29 am

Z.Zhu wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Z.Zhu wrote:

Thanks!
viewforum.php?f=28
Thanks Victoria, will have a look through. Specifically looking for a 90-110ml ShiPiao and Dragon egg style, wood fired if possible clay teapot :)
Maybe a silly question, but if you’re a ceramicist, why don’t you make it yourself?
Z.Zhu

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:12 am

Bok wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:29 am
Z.Zhu wrote:
Victoria wrote:

viewforum.php?f=28
Maybe a silly question, but if you’re a ceramicist, why don’t you make it yourself?
Haha, never a silly question. the type of clay that can be used in the UK limits the type of pottery that can be made. we do make tea pots, but I am still intrigued and fascinated by some of the more traditional forms and materials. Would love to get my hands on some zisha (purple clay) at some point, as well as take residency with the masters. Adam Buick is a ceramicist that explore the landscape and vernacular using site specific clays to create his work: https://www.adambuick.com/about/

on a separate note, any tea Apps that you use or recommend? ive been using Tea diary recently
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:01 am

Welcome Z.Zhu, glad you joined us :mrgreen:
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:03 am

Hi thuja, welcome to our forum. Tell us more about you!
Victoria
Admin

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Z.Zhu wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:12 am
on a separate note, any tea Apps that you use or recommend? ive been using Tea diary recently
Interesting, I hadn’t looked at tea apps in a long time, there are quite a few new ones available. I just use Evernote for my logs and tasting notes, as well as research.
shy rabbit
Artisan

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Hello my name is D. Michael Coffee (Shy Rabbit) from Pagosa Springs, Colorado USA.

I am an Architect, Ceramist and Printmaker now living in the beautiful San Juan Mountains of southwest Colorado. My wife (Denise) and I relocated here after 30 years of living and working in Los Angeles. We have now been in Pagosa Springs, CO for 15 years now and are loving virtually everything this area has to offer.

For my ceramics I work with various high fire stoneware and porcelain clay bodies that I fire in my custom build gas reduction kiln that I call the "Tin Can". It's a reclaimed electric kiln that I converted to a high fire reduction gas mini kiln. My glaze palette consists of various Shino, Tenmoku, Celadon, Nuka, Chun and Ash reduction fired glazes.

I'm interested in variation of form and surface, striving to not repeat myself. I'm primarily interested in nonlinear paths of development in the objects I make. The common thread that stitches my work together is an overriding desire to be surprised by the outcome, as though I wasn’t present during the process.

Thanks for this opportunity to introduce myself. I look forward to learning much from the TeaForum community.

D. Michael Coffee
pedant
Admin

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:28 pm

@shy rabbit wow! so nice to have you here. i admire your work and look forward to chatting with you.
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:37 pm

Woohoo Michael, soooooo glad you joined us, Looking forward to your posts in Teaware Artisans :mrgreen: